David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I was speaking in terms of box office. I've seen neither film (nor the Lundgren version).

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you see Punisher War Zone? Granted I enjoy it as a guilty pleasure for being the most comic book-esque by using Jigsaw but I'd never pretend it's a good overall film. Has it's moments at best.
    The Dolph Lungren film, which actually doesn't count for North America as it wasn't released here theatrically, is a rather fun film in that 80's era way. Slapping a skull symbol on him would've done wonders. The drunk ex-thespian is the real sore thumb of the film imo.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Thomas Jane version has no moments at all.

Ah, right. War Zone is worth checking out for guilty pleasure reasons.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless your a fan of Garth Ennis, which I'm not. Quite a bit of that film owes it's adaptability to his early '00 run on the book.
    Overall I find it a toss up to peg which of the 3 Punisher films I like best since all three managed to take what should be one of the easiest characters to adapt and completely turn out a mediocre product.
    Which Hulk do I like best? easy answer
    Which Spider-man...? easy answer
    Which Batman...? easy answer.

Punisher...not really sure.

5. Shazam!

It's because I'm a fan of Garth Ennis that I don't like it.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

.... Aaanyway, I wonder wether FOX also has the rights to do a DD TV show. At this point, I'd actually rather have them hire David E. Kelley to do DD for TV. Think about it, it'd be like "The Practice" with a noirish superhero in it.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

^ I would watch that show! :D

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

DEK has certainly proved that he can do a good lawyer show, so the lawfirm of Nelson and Murdock would be in good hands, but his efforts with "Wonder Woman" make me wonder if he would be a good fit for any super-hero show.

9. Kai "the spy"

Well, look again at the WW pilot. While it wasn't anywhere near what WW should be (like overly-violent, insecure, capitalist) it was decent enough superhero action. And while I am thankful this wasn't made into a series, I think it proves DEK has at least an interest in doing a superhero show. Thus, DD is the perfect fit. Aside from DD already being violent and insecure, whenever he feels unsure about the superhero part of the show he can retreat to the legal drama.

And just imagine the cases DEK could come up with in a universe where superhumans are real. This is something even the DD comics themselves rarely touched upon.
    Or simply putting Matt Murdock into situations where he has to defend someone he knows to be guilty, like lawyers have to do sometimes (as DEK portrayed several times when his characters were appointed as the defendent's attorney by the judge).

And as for characterization, just look again at The Practice. Bobby and Jimmy were a lot like Matt and Foggy. I mean, Bobby was a handsome, talented catholic Irish-American lawyer with Daddy-issues and, aside from the usual inner conflict from time to time, a person with high ethical standarts who wanted to fight for the little people no one else believes in.

Yeah, I really think DEK could make one killer Daredevil TV show.

10. Shazam!

I do hope this all goes belly up. I'm finding it hard to care about any Marvel movie that isn't part of the MCU.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

To really be edgy they should tie in the Daredevil remake's origin with the TMNT's origins like in the comics. ;)

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ Perfect! :lol:

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but a Daredevil lawyer show wouldn't work.

Comic fans would complain that there is not enough action, while people that watch for the courtroom stuff would complain about the silly superheroes.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, as good as the X-Men, and Spider-Man movies have been, I think it would be a lot more fun if Marvel could get control of all of their characters, and tie them into the MCU. I'm not necessarily saying I want to see them all in one big crossover, but I think it would be fun if could get references to other characters in the movie. Like maybe someone reading a issue of Daily Bugel with a headline about Spidey in a Iron Man movie, or Captain America walking past the same version of the Baxter Building that was used in an FF movie.

15. Kai "the spy"

That's the spirit.

Seriously, though, while it may be different to what came before, I do think it would work. Comic fans would appreciate the concept, since Matt Murdock is a lawyer, and the interest is not all about the action. Also, having the Kingpin as a main villain would work well in a TV show.
    As for people tuning in for the court scenes, some may complain about the fantasy, but DD is as dark and gritty as superheroes come (this side of Image, anyways), so I don't think it would be perceived as silly, especially compaired to the more comedic elements of most of DEK's shows thus far.

Granted, there's still a risk, but what's the fun in playing it safe (as if there were such a thing in TV).

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Wouldn't that just be an ounce or two of awesome, though?

It WOULD be interesting to see Daredevil revert back to Marvel and see him properly introduced into the MCU. I think between him, Phantom, Spider-Man, the X-Men and the F4 Daredevil might "work the best" in the MCU.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

So we have an update with some interesting news. Fox and Walt Disney are in negotiations right now regarding character rights and an extension has been given from this month to October 14th regarding "Daredevil". Joe Carnahan is apparently in talks to direct "Daredevil".

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93323

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Read the article. No extension has been given yet, the Daredevil rights will still revert on Oct 14 like they always have. We just have an official deadline now.

FOX has done nothing but waste the Daredevil character. I say it is time it goes back to Marvel.

I'm pretty happy Marvel has the all powerful Disney lawyers on their side. It is in Disney's best interests to let it revert.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

He didn't say a deal had been reached, just that they are trying to negotiate one -- which is what the article says.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

He said "extension has been given from this month to October 14th regarding "Daredevil""

Except no extension has been given yet. Oct 14 was always the deadline.