David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew Galactus and Silver Surfer long before I learned of the FF connection. I think if they go really cosmic that Galactus and SS work fine. If they want some story with connections to Earth then I'd agree with you.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I'd like to see Blade in the Marvel Cinema Universe. I love the movies (didn't care for the tv show) and would happily see a sequel or reboot, with or without Wesley Snipes (but ideally without Sticky Fingaz).

Now, I'm not familiar with the comics blade, so I'm maybe not the best person to judge. But I thought that David Goyer did a great job in setting up a universe where vampires were the big bad and where characters like Blade were the exception, not the norm. Vamps had infiltrated society and positions of power. I think it would be a big retcon to suddenly reveal that in the MCU vampires were pulling the strings and wielding power when Captain America was fighting Hydra or Howard Stark designing for the Expo.

Obviously, it's open to them to revamp (pun shamelessly intended) Blade in a different fashion from how Goyer did it and make him more compatible with the MCU. But I just don't know if every Marvel character needs to be brought into that cinematic universe.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel revamped Blade during the Curse of the Mutants story last year along with their vampires in general , he has a new look that I have speculated was done for potentially returning him to the movies. This is why I'd create the Marvel Knights sub-division. Introduce Blade again (or even continue on from three if they wanted to) and establish the vampires as a force (as they were in the Marvel Universe somewhat) (Jubilee is a vampire currently) and slowly incorporate him into the MCU if you wanted to. It's an option available. I'm not sure how they would do it. I'm eager for another "Blade" film though :)

4. Captaindemotion

^Yeah, it'd definitely be good to see that badass on the big screen again.

I wonder if Morbius would make an appearance, either in a MCU movie or a standalone Blade movie or is he Sony and Spider-man's property now?

5. Admiral_Young

I believe Michael is a Sony property since Rami expressed interest in using him in the second trilogy as a potential villain.

6. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

You think so? I always thought for Phase 3 that they'd be going mystical. Mephisto makes more sense as the villain of Avengers 3 than the Kingpin or the Maggia.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Joe Carnahan's DD pitch to Fox! Goddamn, Marvel's got to sign Joe to do their DD!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=92cVd9HalHs[/yt]

8. Admiral_Young

Why did Fox say no to this? This was awesome.

9. Admiral James Kirk

Because they're the dipshits who greenlit Electra and hired Tim Story to direct The Fantastic Four.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

For the win.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

TWICE!:sigh:

12. Admiral James Kirk

Not to mention he made Galactus a gas cloud!

13. Admiral_Young

I've always been curious as to what Sean Astin's pitch was. He is the person who Tim Story beat out to direct "Fantastic Four". I have a feeling Sean was more in tune with what fans were expecting from a FF movie.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I know it's just a sizzle reel, but I can't say I'm sorry to see Fox lose DD. I didn't dig it. :(

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If Marvel regains the rights then maybe Joss Whedon can use DD in the Marvel TV show.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's FOX's own fault. They haven't made a Daredevil related movie in SEVEN years. It clearly wasn't happening. The Daredevil rights might as well go back to the original owner.

17. Admiral_Young

18. Captaindemotion

I personally like it a lot and would go see this in a heartbeat. Having said that, I can understand why Fox didn't go for it, loath as I am to defend them.

Even leaving aside the fact that the previous DD film wasn't a huge earner, a 70s-set superhero movie is likely to be a risky move at the box office. X-Men First Class had a lovely, groovy James Bond-esque look and feel but made less money than the blander Origins: Wolverine or Last Stand. A hard-edged gritty almost blaxploitation-feeling movie could be an even harder sell, particularly with teenagers.

Let's face it, you just know that even had Fox greenlit this, they would have interfered and interfered until the final product looked nothing like Carnaghan's final product!

Marvel may well hear Carnaghan's pitch, now they have rights to DD back, but I also find it hard to see them agreeing to a 70s-set movie, thus keeping him out of the action alongside the rest of the MCU (unless they decide to have an older Matt Murdock in a sedentary role in modern days).

Still, if Marvel were feeling brave, they could think about maybe a series of low-budget movies or HBO type show, set in the 1970s and featuring DD, Iron Fist, The Falcon and The Punisher (with no need to update the Vietnam origins of Mr Castle).

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Admiral James Kirk

You never know. Ant-Man is going to be set, at least in part, in the 60s.