David Rappaport in "The Most Toys"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Grant, May 23, 2020.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Today I watched the deleted scenes with David Rappaport for only the second time since I bought the Blu-ray set. What do people think about his version of Kivas Fajo?

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  2. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps it's not fair to judge, but I think that Saul probably did a better job with the character than David.

3. Grant

I agree it's hard to make a fair judgement based on the fact that when you first see the episode like I did in 1990 and then see it multiple times afterwards and then 20 years later you see it with a different actor saying the same lines -- it's hard not to prefer the one you're used to. Also I don't know if Saul was directed to act in a more flamboyant manner or if he just decided to go with that particular styled himself, but it certainly was a lot more entertaining to watch. You're supposed to despise the character and he certainly played him as far more Despicable.

Tosk and Cutie McWhiskers like this.
  4. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tosk is right; the circumstances behind the replacement actor are tragic and the recasting was not intentional.

If Rappaport's version had gone through he'd still be good - he was cast at the time since his test won over the people who made the episode. He brought in a different take on the role, as most actors would do, and for his Fajo there's more of a harder line menace from what I recall when seeing in those scenes. There was still a solid character being acted out really well.

That said, Rubinek put in a style that I found to be more compelling.

That said, both are great actors. Each brought something unique to the role. Both takes on the role were robust.

Did Rubinek audition for Fajo the first time around?

Tosk likes this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Cutie McWhiskers and Grant like this.
  6. Grant

The one scene of the three where David seemed more effective was the first where they are asking if he knew what happened to Data.
    Saul made Fajo seem so unaffected/bored by his "death" that he was almost tipping his hand that he knew more than he was admitting.

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's something about the pampered blasé dispassion that Rubinek brings to the role that really works for me. That, & Rubineck has somehow mastered weaving in a subtle cowardice to many of his roles that is just a wonderful dash of spice to his characters, & he does that with Fajo too.

8. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Commander Red Shirt

I think we can tend to overlook sometimes how much a particular actor brings to a part - give ten actors the same script and basic character summary (no doubt what would have been provided to whoever played Fajo) and you'll get ten, possibly vastly different performances.

The most obvious Star Trek example I can think of where we actually get to see this difference would be Bujold/Mulgrew in Caretaker - they're saying the same words, they've had the same character outline, but the difference between the two performances is like the difference between night and day.