David Ogden Stiers RIP

MikeH92467

Admiral
Admiral
I regret to report that David Ogden Stiers, who starred in M*A*S*H as well as the excellent TNG episode "Half a Life" has died at 75. Cancer. He also was a talented voice actor who had a featured role in the Anime classic "Porco Rosso". :(

I was very sad when I learned this. He was a brilliant actor with a magnificent voice. He always brought such thoughtfulness and humanity to his roles.

He played a blind murderer in a memorable episode of Matlock.

RIP

I've been watching MASH reruns on WGN America off and on today. Season 7, if it matters. A lesser actor would have turned the pomposity of Charles Emerson Winchester, III, into sheer buffoonery. He gave the character heart and made us care.

RIP :(

"You can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can poison me with your thrice daily swill but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice will be heard from this wilderness and I will be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.”-Major Charles Emerson Winchester III

Every time MASH replaced a character, the replacement was an improvement over the original. RIP.

RIP.

I'll always think of MASH first when I hear his name, but I do also remember him from other stuff like TNG and Atlantis:(

I'll always think of MASH first when I hear his name, but I do also remember him from other stuff like TNG and Atlantis:(

Charles from M*A*S*H was certainly his career-making role, but in a way I prefer his later roles where he got to use his normal voice, which was so much more euphonious than the nasal Boston accent he used for Charles.

I loved how he pushed his fingers into people's heads in Stargate Atlantis.

And he was a great actor in everything else he did as well.

Every time MASH replaced a character, the replacement was an improvement over the original. RIP.

I certainly don't agree in every case but this isn't the thread to have that debate.

I do think it was smart of the MASH producers to cast replacement actors that were completely different than the originals and Stiers was great as Winchester.

Great actor. He'll be missed.

Half A Life was a great episode. He, Majel and Michelle Forbes put in strong performances.
Excellent point about Majel's performance. It was an excellent script that showed Lwaxana as something other than an oversexed floozy. The two of them made an excellent couple and her ability to show Lwaxana's love and compassion was a breakthrough for the character. By then it was obvious that Mr. Stier's was a fine actor, but I think there was a chemistry between the two actors that helped elevate her performance and made the episode one of the best of the series for me.

Very sad news. Bladder cancer is one of the lesser known ones. I have had a tumour removed from my bladder twice. I hate reading about it killing people.

If you ever pee blood get it checked. Early diagnosis is very important.

Back