David’s Stargate Stuff

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by David cgc, Jun 10, 2020.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

20210301_ShowcaseSG1_002.jpg

I've drawn and extruded the SG-1 version of the inner ring glyphs. There are a couple other variations visible, as well. Some (but not all) of the patterns on the outer rim are rotated 180 degrees from their orientation on the movie version. I also noticed I misaligned the row of large blocks above the glyph track. That's been corrected on the movie version, as well, but I'm not going back and re-rendering all those images again.

20210301_ShowcaseSG1_000.jpg 20210301_ShowcaseSG1_001.jpg

I decided to keep the chevrons and wings in the arrangement they had on the movie version, rather than moving the chevrons higher and the wings closer together (and drooping), as they were when on the SG-1 setpiece. I'll make that change on the Atlantis version, though, since for that one, the slots the chevrons were mounted in were smaller, and other aspects of the setpiece were realigned to fit with the higher chevrons.

And now we come to the whole reason I keep making stargate models, the point of origin symbols. This image has the official origin symbols used on the show and licensed tie-ins.

Origin_Official_Sampler.jpg

There are two versions of the Abydos symbol because we only saw it on the actual stargate once, on a laptop screen in the original cut of the pilot, where it was tiny, off-center, upside-down, and squished horizontally (even I have my limits). I think this looks silly, but it wasn't hard to do with what I already had, so I threw it in. The "behind the scenes" version is based on how the symbol appears in a glyph panel supposedly from the production of the show. While I don't think it was ever used on-screen, in size and orientation, it's a lot more like how you'd expect the glyph to look, so I consider that the "default" Abydos ring, and the other version an alternative for canon hardliners.

The "Phoenix Site" and it's associated origin symbol are from the upcoming Stargate SG-1 tabletop RPG from Wyvern Gaming.

Next up, more origin symbols, based on the movie versions of the glyphs I've already made. There are about 15 other planets that have had visible origin symbols on the show, but they were all one of the normal "address" glyphs, so I figure having new glyphs (or repurposed movie glyphs) that are based on the ones used by the show is a fair compromise, plus that leaves another 24 that can be used for any other arbitrary planets. Or people could just do the sensible thing and rotate the ring so the origin symbol is below the ramp and can't be seen. Anyway, once that's done, I'm going to start doing lighting and surfacing tests for the chevrons, see what techniques look best and render fastest. Then comes texturing, rig up some setup and demo scenes, then the Atlantis 'gate so I don't have time to forget how I did everything, then, either effects or environments.

2. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Now for a super gate

3. David cgc

I'm about finished with the SG-1 gate, though I'm still running the lighting-test animation for that version, so I'm holding off on putting together all the images to post before it's done. I've also got some housekeeping I want to finish up, rigging the model for animation and packaging it for download, but hopefully I'll be able to get all that done over the next week.

I did do a little quicky side project the other evening, the SGC logo plaque from the briefing room. Joseph Mallozzi, who was a writer and producer on the TV shows, has been posting high-res behind-the-scenes photos, concept art, and documents since the shows were still on the air, and recently posted a construction diagram of the plaque, which made it pretty easy to model in only an hour or two, most of which was spent squinting at the measurements and comparing with some photos of the finished plaque to see how things changed between the drawing and the actual piece.

There was also a 3D rendered version used on the show as a screensaver and decorative element on computer displays which was colored differently, so I made both versions. I didn't sweat getting the textures exactly right (and there were some shape differences with the digital version I didn't bother changing), just going for the spirt instead of a perfect duplicate. The gaudy '90s texturing is pretty rough, and now we've entered a glorious era where flat color in CGI actually look okay. And, looking at it now, it looks like I should've gone with a darker gray on the physical one, and that the inner sides of the chevron are gold, and that's not just reflections from the lights inside the plaque. Well, I'll fix it for next time. I'll keep the old one so you can see the difference.

EDIT: And by next time, I meant "after lunch."

SGC_Plaque_Comparison.jpg

SGC_Plaque_Physical.jpg SGC_Plaque_Digital.jpg SGC_Plaque_Physical.jpg
    (The forum really needs a middle ground between full-screen and thumbnail.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  4. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

Nice attention to detail.

5. David cgc

I've finished one of those pieces of housekeeping and put up the movie version of the 'gate for download. The main Lightwave archive includes a template and example scene for animating your own dialing sequence, and there are also FBX and OBJ versions up for download for people who can't open Lightwave files who want to attempt to convert it to their preferred programs.

publiusr and Gepard like this.
  6. David cgc

I banked everything up, and now I have way, way too much to cram into one forum post. The SG-1 'gate is now finished, and all the details are up on my website. And I mean everything, we've got the model download, we've got orthos, we've got detail and lighting showcase renders in 5k, we've got turnaround videos, we've got dialing animations, we've got an entire separate blog post on how dialing works. It's nuts!

But, you're busy people, so here are some highlights so you don't have to click through.

SG1_Orthos_Sheet_1_half.jpg
    20210309_ShowcaseSG1_002_on.jpg

The Stargate dialing using the canon method from the show.

The Stargate dialing the way everyone seems to expect it to dial, including several people who made the show, judging by how many times they mixed things up.

The lighting turnaround with the chevrons off

The lighting turnaround with the chevrons on

blssdwlf, Gepard and publiusr like this.
  7. David cgc

Had a bit of a loss of motivation as I realized the Atlantis stargate, while superficially similar to the Movie/SG-1 version, is actually almost entirely distinct. So, glass half full, I already know how to attack building the model, glass half empty, I have to make essentially the same model over again from scratch. But my mojo has been returning, and I got a shot in the arm yesterday seeing that my new model has been 3D printed by antediluviananimals. I think this is the first time something I've modeled has been 3D printed, and it was exciting seeing something I made in the real world.

So, in these, you can already see several of the differences. For instance, the cross-section is different, the original gate is pinched on the inner edge, while the Atlantis version has a constant slope all the way down, so the inner rim is twice as wide (with two rows of emitter details), and also doesn't have the "lip" around it, but is flat from front to back. The chevrons sit higher up (actually a change from the movie to the SG-1 version, but I kept the movie arrangement in my SG-1 model because it aligned better). The "pills" and zig-zag lines on the inner edge, and the arches above the inner ring are aligned on a 711-segment radial division, rather than the 666-segment (spooky!) division. The patterns are also different (and you can't see it, but the front and back are rotated differently, with the half-height zig-zag point pointing vertically on the back). The grooves around the pills have extra cuts joining them with the circles that separate the groups of pills.

Up next, I'll be starting on what was my least favorite part of the prior versions of the model, the raised mosaic patters on the outer rim. Luckily, the pattern is a bit simpler and repeats three times on each segment between the chevrons, and the front and back are identical, so it'll only be about 2/9ths as much work. Hopefully I won't lose several months to it this time.

20210512_ShowcaseATL_002.jpg
    20210512_ShowcaseATL_006.jpg
    20210512_ShowcaseATL_000.jpg
    20210512_ShowcaseATL_001.jpg 20210512_ShowcaseATL_003.jpg 20210512_ShowcaseATL_004.jpg 20210512_ShowcaseATL_005.jpg

Psion, blssdwlf, scifieric and 3 others like this.
  8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that you have the TV-accurate higher chevrons, any plans to retrofit them onto your SG-1 gate?

9. David cgc

I'm not going to stop anybody who uses the model from scooching them up a bit to match the show if they prefer it that way, but like I said, I think the movie design looks better. Same with if someone wants make it so the chevrons on the back don't light up, or undo any of the other little tweaks I made to make the model a more perfect copy of the setpiece.

I'm keeping them moved up on the Atlantis gate because it seems like the designers took the opportunity of building it from scratch rather than out of salvaged parts to make the whole thing fit together more tightly, so there aren't any big seams or loose pieces that I can change without messing up something else. Like, I'm looking at a reference picture right now, and even as I imagine dropping the chevrons back down to align with the cutouts, I can see the whole row of dominos that would bring down, to the point where I'd basically be ending up with the location 'gate segment SGA inherited after SG-1 concluded that they repainted to look like a Pegasus stargate to get everything to still fit together.

NUP_130733_0094.jpg
    Just including the photo I'm looking at because it's pretty rare view of an unusual angle at high resolution and doesn't seem to be online anymore. IIRC, it was part of a graphics kit the Sci-Fi Channel put up as part of a contest for fans to design a Stargate: Atlantis DVD box.

scifieric likes this.