Data's Contractions

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by kitsune, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

It was a stupid idea in the first place. In Datalore he could have easily been suspected by Wesley with that twitch alone, and the "beautiful isn't it" comment.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holo-Tomalak: "That says a lot more about you than it does our mind probes!"

In retrospect, it there a more hypocritical episode than Hollow Pursuits?

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Grizzly Adams or Jeremiah Johnson did not use contractions, but I cannot remember which one.

4. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Worf didn't seem to use contractions often either.

5. kitsune

kitsune Captain

I hadn't noticed before, but I think you're right.

6. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ At the very least I know Worf loved saying "Can Not" over "can't" most of the time. Just something I always noticed. It definitely worked for him, I liked it.

7. K-Star

K-Star Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Probably because "can not" sounds more forceful, kinda.

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

9. Captain Martin

Captain Martin Lieutenant Red Shirt

HAHAHAH ... OMG thank you that made my day ... LOL :guffaw:

10. Captain Martin

Captain Martin Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just watching the episode "In Theory" where Data pursues a relationship ...

He just walked in to Jenna's quarters and yelled "Honey, I'm home!" ... Then just now while I'm typing this he yells at her "You're not my mother"

blah

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While I don't think there was any reason Data couldn't say contractions, it was odd, to say the least, that he said one right there ;)

jackoverfull likes this.
  12. NCC74894A

NCC74894A Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The most recent instance I can recall from the TV series is in "Descent Part II" when Picard gets hold of a weapon and tries to escape, only to encounter Data (still compromised by Lore at this point) who grabs Geordi's throat and says "Drop it, or I'll break his neck."

13. Zameaze

Zameaze Commodore Commodore

Point and match. I wish the writers had thought along these lines before veering into the absurd.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Novel writers perhaps did (veer into the absurd, I mean). Episode writers never made a big deal of it: no story, B-story or passing joke hinged on Data's inability to use a contraction, even though some fun was made on the fact that he spoke like an upper class nerd in general.

As "Datalore" already shows, contractions weren't a surefire way to tell Data apart from imitators; the real Data used a contraction or two early on in the episode, then did the final "I'm fine", as if to disprove a false claim. Wesley no doubt learned his lesson that day, going all "Oh shit, I was betting my life on a silly mistaken belief!"...

Really, there's nothing Data can't do, as per TNG. It just takes a little practice, be it sneezing, or cracking a joke, or convincingly emoting, or convincingly using informal language in conversation.

Timo Saloniemi

jackoverfull likes this.
  15. rangaraj1987

rangaraj1987 Guest

We examine the ability of the Expansionary Fiscal Contraction (EFC) hypothesis to explain the performance of of OECD economies during times of crisis. We find some limited evidence in its favour - if public consumption is reduced in response to a fiscal crisis (as defned by a high level of debt), private consumption does seem to increase. However the size of the effect is smaller than that typically found in similar studies. Furthermore, the increase in private consumption is not usually su±cient to offset the direct e®ect of a reduction in the public consumption on output{ fiscal contractions are not literally expansionary.[FONT=arial,helvetica] [/FONT]

16. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Phil Farrand made an attempt to catalog them in his nitpicker's guide. Although I believe he admits his list is certainly incomplete. Still the most comprehensive collection I've seen.

17. witchbsword

witchbsword Ensign Red Shirt

I admit it: I LOL'd. :guffaw:

18. charliehtrekbbs

charliehtrekbbs Cadet Newbie

I must point out that the premise was never that Data could not utter the sound of a contraction. Thus he could quote someone using a contraction. He could say the word "isle". In "In Theory" it might be argued that "You're not my mother" and "Honey, I'm home" were quotes, in a sense, from his research into relationships.

The premise was that, as he was formulating his own thoughts into words, he didn't have that "neural pathway" to formulate the contraction in real time. It was a linguistic, rather than verbal, defect.

As has been said, the premise was often violated. I just found one in "Suspicions" where Data says "I'm running additional diagnostics...". It can be difficult to distinguish between "I'm" and a very fast "I am", but Data's impeccable speech pacing helps here. He said "I'm".

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Braiiiiinnnnnsssssss

Qonundrum likes this.
  20. Menage-a-Troi

Menage-a-Troi Cadet Newbie

In the season 6 episode 'Timescape,' Data says "I'm not sure he is a Romulan."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.