Daredevil season 3 Marvel/Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's a single character that survived the transition from Comics to screen without some alteration or adaptation to the story. I think that watching Ben Poindexter's journey into becoming Bullseye is far more interesting then having him show up fully formed in the identity.

2. Turtletrekker

By the way, I finished and consider it to be on par with season one.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, good for you? I'd prefer the real Bullseye. Bullseye in DD S3 doesn't even remotely resemble the original character, if they didn't say it was him absolutely no one would have guessed it was. This may be common for the Marvel TV shows, but compared to the MCU films this is complete garbage.

By tweaks you mean keeping literally none of his backstory, appearance or personality? Those tweaks? He is literally just a power set stuck onto a crappy original character. I actually think that Misty Knight resembles her comic counterpart more, and the only thing the live action and comic versions of Misty have in common is a name, profession, ethnicity and arm. Hell, even Elektra kept some slight elements of the real version, like having known Matt before she went evil.

Its fine to like him, but you can't argue that he's accurate.

4. Turtletrekker

Well, good for you right back at you.

The character of Ben Poindexter never misses, is psychotic, and works as an assassin for the Kingpin. He even gets his spine reinforced with metal in the final episode. All of those things sound like accurate Bullseye to me.

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Holy crap.. what a ride!

I rarely binge watch shows and then it's usually the ones where the public is already falling head over heels for them and i'm just a late comer (case in point Breaking Bad.. missed the first 4 seasons and when i started i blew threw it as fast as i could, same happened with season 1 of Stranger Things).

A few weeks ago i started off with Luke Cage Season 2 and it was a chore, saw only the first episode of Jessica Jones' Season 2 (though might start again) and didn't even bother with season 2 of Iron Fist yet but every season of Daredevil is gold and i binge it the first weekend it is released.

From start to finish Daredevil rarely, if ever, disappoints.. the cast is great, the characters fantastic and the story engaging from start to finish.

I love the Marvel movies for their larger than life events, the big CGI fights, the funny one liners and the often enough cool stories but if i am really honest i think Daredevil is the much more interesting show due to its grittiness, the brutality and thus realism of the fights (ever seen Cap America being completely out of it after 30 seconds of intense hand to hand and bleeding across his entire face?) and the equally interesting villains (D'Onofrio for me is one of the best comic book villains to ever grace the screen besides Ledger's Joker and maybe Hiddleston's Loki).

Maybe it is due to the running time that Daredevil can explore its themes better than the 2 hours Marvel has with each movie but i feel they are hamstrung in their possibilities by the desired PG rating to maximise profits. Netflix is not which is why they can go all in with shows like Daredevil or Punisher and give them the adult treatment and thus a unique style.

So yeah.. this is yet another great season for Daredevil that saw him claw his way up from his lowest point and back into a sort of balance in his life that isn't ruled bis his fanatic need to be the hero and save everybody at the cost of himself. That final scene with him and Fisk was just chilling as he screams out as he refuses to do the one act he knows will doom him forever and ultimately make Fisk the winner.

That shot of him a few moments later on the edge of the rooftoop might become my new phone background though :)

Since Netflix cancelled Iron Fist and Luke Cage (deservedly.. not the fault of the actors but the shows never really took off) i'm fearful it might be the last of the Netflix Daredevil.. i really hope Netflix gets to keep Daredevil and Punisher or Disney keeps the cast and staff on their new network to continue there (very small chance) but even if that was it it was one hell of a sendoff.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  6. kirk55555

They're bullet points. Its like if a TV show introduced a serial killer named Clark Kent who wore glasses but was secretly an alien named Kal-El who could fly and shoot eye beams. By your logic, that is all you need to adapt for a character, you can change and drop 90% of the character if you keep the powers and basically nothing else.

That character is no more Bullseye then Foggy nelson is.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Get back to me when you've watched the season.

You keep using that phrase...

fireproof78 and Turtletrekker like this.
  8. Turtletrekker

@kirk55555

You do realize that this is an ongoing story, right? That this season can be seen as an origin story for Bullseye? In fact, the very last scene, the very last image, of the season implicitly implies his return as Bullseye.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I would go as far as saying that most of the Netlfix villains (Kingpin, Kilgrave, Cottonmouth, Mariah, Madame Gao in particular) are better than most of the MCU villains (except Loki, Kilmonger, and maybe Vulture). And it's as you said: The longer running time really helps those characters bloom and grow into fascinating villains. And I think Bullseye could potentially join that elite group now that we've seen his origin story and he should be able to stand on his own separately from the Kingpin next season.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's not Bullseye in the costume on the cover there, it's Matt Murdock.

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A note on the incidental slagging off The Inhumans: The series played very differently if you viewed it from the perspective of a committed monarchist who really, truly felt the king and his nobles are a genuinely better sort of person, because. The moral here is, there is a social/political/philosophical dimension to aesthetic appreciation. Fictional worlds often embody a notion of what is justice, what is a happy ending where justice is done. Most of us do find a happy ending more satisfying after all. And if you are not in sympathy with it, other issues that aren't really the issue take on illusory significance. Some of us have that kind of disinterest in Daredevil (or the [Miller]Nolan Batman.)

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched episode 2. That was a hell of an introduction to Bullseye at the end there, assuming that's who that was.
    I'm starting to wonder if Nadeem is going to end up getting paid off by Fisk, they keep making such a big deal about his money issue that there has to be some kind of pay off (pun not intended) there by the end of the season.
    We got a couple nice flashbacks to Matt's childhood showing what lead to him becoming Daredevil.

13. kirk55555

So what? Its not obvious on that cover, Daredevil never dresses like Bullseye in the Netflix show, so it doesn't really justify DD S3 being crap (also,the context sure as hell wasn't an FBI agent framing DD, so the comparison is just not there).

14. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Deservedly my ass. I still don't understand why we're expected to believe that "Daredevil" is the best series in the franchise. Because I don't think it is.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's just an opinion. You don't have to share it.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"We" are?

Certainly not been my impression of the general consensus. Also, everyone is allowed to think what they want.

Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Matt Murdock is wearing the Bullseye outfit in that cover. You asked if Bullseye wore an outfit from the comics and I pointed out that he wore the outfit he wore in that issue. You're the one who said he was wearing the Bullseye outfit in that cover and I was pointing out your confusion.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. kirk55555

I asked if Bullseye wore his actual costume from the comics in DD Season 3. I at no point even implied that I cared if he had dressed up as Daredevil before, since that is irrelevant.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Nor is he an "investigative type agent" here. He's a morally ambiguous FBI SWAT sniper assigned to Fisk's FBI protection detail as Fisk turns over information on the Armenian Mob. A sniper seems in perfect keeping with his name and reputation to me.

Yeah, how could anyone even remotely familiar with Daredevil lore possibly piece together that the guy who shot a dozen or so minions between the eyes with one shot each and then threw the magazine of his handgun through the last guy's throat might be Bullseye? What a mystery!

Not to your ridiculously slavish and tedious definition of accuracy that leads you to constant irrational disappointment when shows and movies try something new or make understandable adaptions for the screen, but accurate to the spirit of the character? Absolutely.