News Daniel Craig signs up for Bond 25, Christopher Nolan in talks to direct

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mach5, Jul 11, 2017.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I know what Barbara said in that one specific article, but what she said and what will actually happen are not the same thing.

She can say that there's a chance that a non-White Male actor could play Bond, but it won't actually ever happen.

2. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I don't care who gets he Bond job, but if Richard Ayoade doesn't get to be Q I will weep and gnash my teeth again.

Nerys Myk and The Nth Doctor like this.
  3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

[​IMG]

Starkers, Jedi_Master, BillJ and 4 others like this.
  4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I’m putting this in the “Will age like milk left out on a hot summer’s day” file.

Starkers, Jedi_Master, BillJ and 4 others like this.
  5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

You know what, I'll say you're probably right about this, simply because you've never been right before and you have to be right about something at some point.

BillJ, N-121973, Jack Wolfe and 4 others like this.
  6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The last time a Bond actor was cast there was some controversy due to the guy having blond hair. In retrospect, that gave the film even more publicity. If they cast a black actor, it’s 100% going to do more good for the film than harm. Even folks who don’t want a black actor as Bond will go see it just because they can’t help but see the results.

I wish I could say that for A VIEW TO A KILL.

7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

You know what Idris Elba would be a fantastic James Bond if he can manage the physicality of the role.

8. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or Newfie. I'd love a Newfie Bond. The accent is actually authentically British for the most part, just not the London part that most are accustomed to.
    OK, that's too much to expect, but watching a movie like this would be a trip, bye.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I'd love to see Idris Elba as Bond, I really doubt it's going to happen. Indeed, it seems to be a sore spot for Elba these days, given his "I'm black Superman" line in Hobbs and Shaw was originally scripted "I'm black James Bond" but was changed at Elba's request given it hit too close to home for him.
    "The name's Bund, buy. Jimmy Bund."

Yes, that's how Newfies talk.

10. Gingerbread Demon

At least it won't be a woman /s Runs off into the hills.

The name's Jane, Jane Bond

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I would definitely love to see Elba in that role. Might get me back to watching Bond films again. Haven’t seen any of the Craig ones.

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

I would've loved it if Sophie Okonedo had been cast as 007.

13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Jamie.

Or maybe .. Juliet / Jules Bond (?).

14. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Elba would have made a good Bond if Craig had wanted to bow out after SKYFALL. Same with Fassbender. But they’ll from here on be among the great “what ifs”. Funnily, Cubby and Saltzman thought Oliver Reed would have made a great Bond for OHMSS but ultimately decided not to pursue him because of his facial scar, which is ironic given that the literary Bond has a facial scar.

15. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

The name's Bond, Jane Bond.

James was a relatively popular girl's name in America until 1990ish. In England+Wales (no data on Scot/NI) there were 3 girls called James born in 2016 (my data set only goes back to 1996)

I'm sure the Anti-PC brigade will be happy -- this cartoon from the Grauniad

upload_2021-7-27_8-26-53.png

The Nth Doctor and StarMan like this.
  16. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

^When Gingerbread Demon said "Jane, Jane Bond", my initial thought was "meh".

But "Bond, Jane Bond" - that's more like it.

LaxScrutiny and CorporalCaptain like this.
  17. Gingerbread Demon

If they can cast someone brilliant who is also total kick ass wouldn't it be cool?

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's possibly a little bit of all of the above, since barring your possession of a time machine, which we know you don't have given your appalling rate of predicting obviously telegraphed plotlines and reveals of upcoming TV shows and films, it's way too overconfident and almost prideful that the established order will remain unchanged based on absolutely no evidence or reasoning.

Especially since the producer, whose voice you usually consider sacrosanct but now completely disregard when it comes to someone non-white being cast, is open to the idea of a non-white actor playing Bond. And when the upcoming film plays with the idea of a recast by having a black woman (Lashana Lynch) portray Bond's replacement as the new 007 until he returns to service. Or when they play with the idea of Bond's sexuality with the Silva scene from Skyfall posted above. Which is not to say they may go so far as to cast a woman or a LGBTQ actor in the near term, but they are willing to test the boundaries. And having a black or other POC actor take over the role is not even a major boundary to cross.

In fact I'd say the odds of the James Bond role being recast with a black or other POC actor are pretty strong given public demand for Elba or Ejiofor and the negative optics of not having a POC play the role in the near future.

Plus, we have your guarantee that it will never happen, which means it is gratefully inevitable. Plus-plus, learn the definition of what a "fact" is.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. If there is someone that knows less about how Hollywood works than @DigificWriter, I haven’t met them yet.

20. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Yikes. There's a bullet I'm glad we dodged. The men who have played Bond over the years have largely been drama-free (at least during their tenure) apart from Lazenby's prima donna-ish behavior and foolhardy decision to quit after OHMSS.

The Nth Doctor likes this.