News Daniel Craig signs up for Bond 25, Christopher Nolan in talks to direct

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mach5, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That topic heading is YEARS out-of-date. Maybe it should be updated at some point to remove the Nolan rumor? Not sure how that works.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Or maybe it’s an elaborate bluff on Nolan’s part. His ultimate trick on the audience.

3. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Funnily, the closest you could probably get to seeing what a hypothetical Nolan Bond film would look like is SPECTRE, as that was lensed by his regular DoP Hoyte van Hoytema. Heck, TENET pretty much has the same color scheme as SPECTRE with its use of browns. Same with INTERSTELLAR. I haven't seen DUNKIRK though.

SPECTRE's color palette was pretty controversial in Bond circles, as the series typically has a more naturalistic color palette and doesn't typically do moody colors. At least, in my opinion, I think the colors "fit" the tone of the film which is mostly foreboding. Kinda makes sense given the title of the film. Whatever one's opinion of the use of colors, I think it LOOKS gorgeous at times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the very least this DP is getting another crack at an espionage film, as not only is TENET his upcoming but he also did TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh goody, more creative differences...

6. Captaindemotion

I realise this puts me in a minority of one (what else is new?) but while I like some of Zimmer’s stuff, I find a lot very samey and repetitive. I think he’s was overused in the action and superhero genre in particular.

7. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I miss David Arnold.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I would tend to agree, and given he's coming to the party late and has so many other films on his plate, you wonder how generic the soundtrack might be, though I did hear someone postulate that he's probably had Bond at the back of his mind for some time so maybe he'll be better than we imagine.

QFT

Captaindemotion likes this.
  9. Captaindemotion

Everybody raves about his soundtrack for Gladiator, which is indeed great, but the main theme, to my ears, owes more than a little to Vangelis’ theme from 1492 (also directed by Ridley Scott):

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^This theme when you are sitting in your Elite dangerous bridge flying through hyper space in VR......it is sublime to the max.

11. Captaindemotion

I’ve never seen the film but the theme is brilliant.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^That films soundtrack and the 1984 film,The Bountry, seem to have soundtracks that were made for that ED space game. lol

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It was rumored but now confirmed. Billie Ellish will perform the theme to "No Time To Die"

https://twitter.com/007/status/1217114730831237121

I think her opening song will be just like Bad Guy. She'll mumble through the whole verse and chorus, and then the only catchy riff will be the Bond riff played on a synth in between. Then back to the mumbling.

It's pretty obvious the broccolis' want to snag that younger crowd. Has anyone under the age of 17 even seen a James Bond movie or care about them?

This is reminding me of when we got Aha and Duran Duran to get younger viewers.

IMO. I would have prefered Sting.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sting ?? Sting???

HugeLobes likes this.
  15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't know much about Billie Ellish, but I really enjoyed her performance on SNL.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although I've heard the name, I really have no idea who Billie Ellish is, and I doubt I'm familiar with her music. Fuck, I hate getting old. A decade ago, I had some degree of familiarity with a good many of the popular singers. Nowadays, I struggle to even remember popular songs from the past few years.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've liked some of her stuff I've heard on the radio.
    I think the whole composer change is the first time I've ever heard of a composer leaving due to "creative differences".

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I only really know the name because A.V. Club keeps talking about her (they drew my attention to her SNL performance since I don't watch that show regularly).

But, yeah, we're getting old.

The Wormhole likes this.
  19. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Duran Duran turned in a great entry, and A-ha didn't do too bad, either.

I don't really know Eilish (I'm old too, though not so old I can't spell her name right), but it can hardly turn out worse than Sam Smith's castrated mewling.

Starkers likes this.
  20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh joy.

Pretty much. It will be dumped in that circular file of other failed Bond title songs. Brosnan and most of Moore's era serve as examples of that.