News Daniel Craig signs up for Bond 25, Christopher Nolan in talks to direct

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mach5, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, you guys just got muddled up when you copied us.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

More like 'No Time to Dine'.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

*Looks at poster*

"James Bond's most personal chapter yet. Waiting for the bus."

cardinal biggles and Starkers like this.
  5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Barry Jenkins wants to direct a "badass/kickass kind of action" Moneypenny spin-off film, which Naomie Harris is all for. Of course, Barbara Broccoli isn't interested.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Roller coaster, that post. Pushing all the right buttons getting me excited, until that last sentence where I was all "aw, damn!" by that letdown.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, sorry. I felt the same way when I read the news at io9. :(

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fuck nepotism.

9. Captaindemotion

Starkers likes this.
  10. Samurai8472

Captaindemotion likes this.
  11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I kinda like the fact that BB has no interest in widening the franchise in that way. Harris is great as Moneypenny but if you do this you've either got to have her return to the field full time, or contrive some way she gets involved in an adventure, but I think you could only get away with that once.

I don't really want a spin off series of Moneypenny/Q/M/Felix/Quarrel Jr/Mr Wint and Mr Kidd films*, I just want a decent Bond film every couple of years like the old days, is that too much to ask?

*Ok a late 60s Wint and Kidd origin story might be interesting...

Captaindemotion likes this.
  12. Captaindemotion

Agreed, not every franchise needs an expanded universe, as the unsuccessful Bourne spin-off showed. I think The Walking Dead, for example, would probably have benefitted from people concentrating on making one good show as oppose to two with basically the same premise.

Gaith and Starkers like this.
  13. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

There is a precedent for a Moneypenny spin-off series:

[​IMG]

James Bond: Moneypenny One-Shot

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there is, and maybe if it was a one off it'd be ok, I just don't want a giant extended universe, and that isn't about MP (if anything she'd make more sense, especially Harris' iteration having been a field agent) as I don't want a Q or M film either.

15. Captaindemotion

I think one-shot comics and the like are cool for collectors and completists but I don’t know if the same subjects and characters can necessarily sustain a movie.

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Given the rocky production history of the Craig era — some of it creative, and some of it business-related beyond EON's control — as much as we might like a Moneypenny film (or, going back to '97, a Wai Lin film. Or the proposed Jinx spinoff from Die Another Day), they have enough trouble cranking out a new film in a timely fashion that trying to manage spinoffs could potentially derail the Bond films themselves. This is apparently a franchise that can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

No Time to Die's price tag: $250 million.

Jesus Goddamn Christ.

suarezguy likes this.
  18. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

I posted that Monepenny comic book to show that there can be a James Bond extended universe (similar to the extended universe/spin-off of this character) featuring other Double-O's besides Bond (Colin Salmon's character Charles Robinson, Monepenny herself in a prequel series set before Skyfall, or any other Double-O agent like the lady in this upcoming movie.) Indeed, I predict that people other than the usual male James Bond fan will want to see more movies with this female temp 007 (that is, if they haven't killed her off in the movie, which I predict will provoke a wave of condemnation similar to the Clexa incident in which people will accuse Eon`of killing of a character of color.) I say that this can be done, and Eon/MGM should consider it and try it.

Starkers likes this.
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well you know, Eon kinda are with The Rhythm Section a female led spy thriller. As various people have said, I suspect half the people who go on about wanting a female Bond or wanting spin off films won't be arsed to go and see this which will be a shame as it looks like there's franchise potential there.

On the subject of Lashana Lynch's 007 I fear you're right, in fact when the idiots started moaning I did say I don't know why they're complaining because it's odds on she'll die before the end of the film, either in the line of duty or because she's really a bad guy! I think the fact that the film will feature POC in four prominent roles, and lets face it they're unlikely to kill Felix and Moneypenny, is a positive step, and you never know maybe they'll surprise me and Lynch will still actually be 007 at the end?

Really though I have no major interest in seeing a Moneypennny film, or a Q film following another 00 agent be they played by Henry Cavill, Idris Elba or Emily Blunt. I want to see a Bond film, I don't want to be thinking "Why's 007 not handling this mission?" I don't want a female Bond but I am kinda hoping that sooner or later Bond will be a person of colour- hell I wanted Salmon to get the role after Brosnan and I firmly believe Boyega should be the Bond after next.

One thing I would consider if I was Barbara Broccoli is this, it'd be real interesting if Harris' Moneypenny became the next M, which I know is an idea Lois Maxwell mooted back in the day.

20. Samurai8472

Spectre's budget allegedly ballooned to the $250-300 million mark.

That said, Spectre didn't really look like a $300 million movie either. Aside from a large explosion, a few wrecked cars and a large assortment of costume changes, there wasn't really much spectacle.