Dac's NX-01(.5) & more!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dac, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Dac's NX-01(.5)

Keep plodding your doing good so far... :drool: :) :techman:

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Oh, im still plodding :P

[​IMG]

Here's how she is at the moment- YES, i know the stripes aren't right along the trailing edges of the bridge section, and yes, i'll change them eventually. ;)

Oh, and here's another thing i've been toying with.

[​IMG]

TNG Era Borg Cube, A heavyweight at 700,000 polys (don't kill me!). I think its alright for a TNG era one though, considering it was just random pipes mashed together.

3. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to the Continuing Mission book, the original Cube model is pretty much model kit sprues, which are indeed pipes in cross section, but of varying lengths and odd bend angles.

The biggest advice I have for you is never to have pipes running the entire length of a side.

4. Kaiser

Your Defiant there looks so Buetiful :adore:

and your Borg cube looks awesome there :) :techman:

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well, the top of the defiant has entered the fine detailing stage...

[​IMG]

But with fine detailing, comes a bit of boredom in my opinion. I much prefer the general shaping and sculpting you do in the initial stages of a project, so, yeah...I started another one. One that has been taunting me and haunting me for many years...

The Enterprise-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, I think I've managed to pull it off this time! I finally tamed that god damned saucer/neck join. Mr Probert designed a hellova ship, but he sure made it hard to make :P

Yeah, theres some segmentation here and there and some details aren't spot on...im not gonna go too mental with this baby, as I want her to look good but still be fast enough for rendering in an animation sometime this year...so yeah, theres that.

Again, I appreciate feedback and would love to hear from you guys! Enjoy!

6. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Great work on all the ships, I must say that borg cube really caught my eye...
    love the detail.

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Thanks man, I'll try and get around to beautifying your Klingon Fighter some more sometime soon ;)

By the by, in a vein attempt to bring this thread back to its namesake (why the frak am I building a Galaxy class in an NX-01.5 thread?!) I decided to make a quick little to scale fleet image of all my "decent" trek ships at the moment (i've got a few more but their kinda shocking).

In there I have...

Galaxy Class
    NX.5 Refit
    Constitution (plus refit)
    Defiant
    Akira
    Norway
    Ambassador
    And Miranda.

Anyways, it's just a little thing I threw together before I hit the sack. :P

[​IMG]

(BTW, the blue splash on some of the ships is from the Defiants engines, I forgot to add a falloff to em)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

And you thought fine detailing was rough on the Defiant, wait 'til you get your hands on this baby! ;)

9. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome. The last few make me think of actual models not come CGI image. That's how good they look. Lol. Love the comparison list and them popping out of it.

10. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

very nice

11. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

I vote for a Flight II Excelsior so you will have all the starships Enterprise.

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I now realize how true this is. :p

Hah, due to this, I'll probably head back over to the defiant and finish her off...I spent a long time working with the Enterprise D today though. Heres how shes lookin'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like much you say? Only a few phaser strips here and there? Well, your right. There isnt a whole lot more.
    That's because I was trying to get it to do this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, that's probably as far as i'll go though. Just looking at the amount of windows on this thing terrifies me. Let alone the escape pods and then the aztecing...

To soften the blow a bit though, here's a quicky shot of how she might look in the Paulson Nebula. Sorry its not much, but I really can't see myself cutting out thousands of tiny windows at the moment :P

[​IMG]

13. Kaiser

Wow such awesome and wonderful new images :) :drool: :techman:

14. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Hey Dac, your skills evolved a lot since the old SFM days. Congrats! You´re building beautifull meshes. If my memory serves, you started an Ent-J too, loooong time ago. Is that lady already finished?

*** If you´re not the same Dac from SFM, forgive the references that I post, but not the congrats about the meshes. ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  15. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Aye, I like your Galaxy-Class a lot.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I am indeed the same Dac from SFM. And thank you very much for the kind words. :)

The E-J? Hah, I started and restarted that thing about 20 times in an effort to get it right. Now Doug has posted some more references of it about I may have another shot at it, but the old old ones are not in any decent shape im afraid :P

And BolianAdmiral, thanks as well. Unlike my previous post where I had a mini freakout, I havent quite given up on the 1701-D yet. Heres how she looks now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For anyone interested, the windows at the bottom of the saucer are physical, i've cut them out of the mesh and they have some depth to them. The Windows on the Neck and top of the saucer however are textured. I may cut out the windows at the top of the saucer, but the ones on the neck will probably remain a texture, as I did cut them out, but the poly count went completely bonkers and liked to freeze my mac every time I moved it around the viewport.

17. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice to finally see the windows. Looking good.

18. Kaiser

very nice progress on this Enterprise D 3D renders :)

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Something in this new set of images seems to hi-light a problem with the opening for the main deflector. The shape of the cut-out is bugging me. I think I know what it is, though it would require alot to fix. The forward part of your secondary hull needs a sharper arc in it's downward slope towards the dish opening. This will result in a smaller opening on the Z axis when you reach the point where the opening begins. You can see it best by looking at the Whitefire plan of the side view here:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=4377124#post4377124

If you compare your side view with the above I am guessing the upper curve for the forward secondary hull on yours will be flatter.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

It would seem you have linked back to this thread, but I think I see what you mean.

I've noticed this myself, and yes, it would require a complete rebuild of that section, but I'd also like to point out that the shape of that area is relative. For example, if you look at the four footer, that area is much taller than it is on the six footer. However, It still isnt quite as tall as I have it.

(20 minutes later...)

Although having said all that...

[​IMG]

Hows that look?