CW Looking to Add New Arrowverse Series in 2020

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

You've got a good point here. Maybe killing her of was a good idea, but they did it at the wrong time. I would have done it later, with Sara staying a longer time in Arrow and joining the LoT in Season 2 or 3.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It was the story itself that was the problem though. The individual story elements were fine, but the movie tried to cram too much in to a single movie so that the tone was inconsistent and we never really got to know the individual characters and villains as we should have.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I think killing a character is a lazy way of doing things in comic book storylines. If the actor wants to leave, write them out. This way they can return without gimmicks. If a character is popular enough that the death causes a backlash, there's nothing wrong with bringing them back. It is fiction after all.

And I disagree that it cheapens the death. Spock's return in TSFS doesn't negate the sacrifice he made in TWOK, nor does the terrific acting in that scene get cheapened. It only allows for a happier result, which is good.

And if a character dies in a lame way, like I believe Laurel did, I have no issue if COIE brings her back.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

5. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I agree with most of the people here about the GL show, I just don't think it would work. I love the CW Arrowverse shows but they have a habit of characters not using their powers for no particular reason.

For example, in Legends we frequently got: "Let's split up. Jax, you go with that group and Stein you go with that other group." Obviously this was done to keep costs down on the Firestorm effects but every time it happened I screamed, "No, you want to keep those two together all the time!!"

And there have been multiple times when Nate/Steel was in danger and just decided not to power up for no discernible reason. If I had that power I'd "steel up" just to cross the street.

I have a feeling if we got an Arrowverse GL show then he'd be constantly taking that ring off and/or losing it. Or maybe they'd change the old 24 hour recharge rule to something like the ring losing it's charge after one or two uses and then the user has to wait 24 to recharge it or something. So we'd end up with a GL show that has GL not using his powers very often for very little reason.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The immortal genders of Oa, did not like each other much, separating for Millions of years, "evolving" to look quite different from one another.

Tiny shriveled blue gnome boys, and super hot 6 foot tall amazon girls in skimpy little Xena Warrior Princess leather cheerleader dresses.

Peter Dinklage and Gwedoline Christie.

(Cough)

Hey, so like the Guardians, all boys for MILLIONS of years, um, a lot of them were gay, right? Since they didn't have any choices other than, homosexuality, celibacy, or Manhunter.

The story of the Manhunter rebellion and exodus is a little different if these robots were all, just tired of being forced to be sexy and accommodating for a conclave of dirty old short fat bald men telling them to jiggle it.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldu as the Manhunter template.

(I'm just putting this together as I type)

After a couple years, our time, the Oans came back from retirement without their "wives". Still later (in the 90s) under the writer G Jones, one of the Oans, "in an attempt to construct balance" reassigned as female, but it was framed more as metaphysical clap trap, than as a trans rights issue.

G Jones also reassigned.

Gerald to Geraldine.

I am amazed that repressed DC allowed a positive trans message as early as the early 90s, or I'm amazed that Geraldine snuck her story (in metaphor) in under the radar, and no one noticed until it was way to late to roll it back.

:)

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You definitely have a very unique mind, Guy. A very unique mind indeed.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Those are both cases where you're dealing with a humanoid CG character that has to talk and show expression, so it's understandable that they'd want to dial it back. With other sorts of FX, it's not so much of an issue. Sure, The Flash and Supergirl rely heavily on digital character models for their action scenes, but if it's just running or fighting and the characters are seen mostly from a distance, then the need for facial animation isn't as great, so it's easier to achieve. Also with Firestorm, you had the added complication of the flaming-head effects.

Plus I think Phil Klemmer and the Legends staff just prefer writing about a team of goofball time travelers rather than a team of superheroes, so it's probably as much a matter of storytelling style as a matter of budget or tech. Naturally a different show would have a different showrunner and writing team.

As for GL, I'd say we've already seen an Arrowverse character with very similar VFX requirements -- Saturn Girl. She can fly with her Legion ring, and she can create telekinetic force fields or reach out and levitate things with her mind. Just add a green glow or green energy beams to those things and you've covered the basics that would work for the majority of routine GL action scenes. As discussed, the occasional more elaborate ring constructs could often be reskinned from the FX team's existing library of digital vehicles, creatures, and the like, and maybe saved for once per episode, or for the occasional big action sequence in a sweeps episode.

If we're talking about spinning off Diggle as a GL, then it would be very much in character for him to want to rely on his own innate abilities more than his ring. So that would actually make perfect sense, and it could be a source of character conflict.

I mean, heck, Green Lantern is literally a space cop, so you could do it as a sci-fi crime procedural and focus more on the detective work and worldbuilding than the action. Imagine the fun of down-to-earth Diggle as a fish out of water in an alien environment.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yep, Reynolds was totally miscast.

10. Guy Gardener

I see your Ryan Reynolds and raise you a Matthew Settle.

;)

Disney Princess Peyton List as little blonde teen Green Lantern Arisia Rrab.

11. Nerys Myk

If I knew who that was, I might have an opinion.

12. Guy Gardener

Think back to 1997.

ToddKent, Turtletrekker and Greg Cox like this.
  13. Nerys Myk

I'd rather not relive that

14. Guy Gardener

The Big Show as Green Lantern Kilowog.

15. Guy Gardener

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I read through that article, not having seen a summary of the movie before. Why the hell didn't we get that version??? It actually sounds like an awesome movie--love powering the ring notwithstanding even though that could have been a seed for a future Star Sapphire introduction.

17. Guy Gardener

A Green Lantern is not a Superhero.

They are a mile marker for Oan manifest destiny.

The Guardians sending Lanterns to Earth is the same as America sending troops to Afghanistan. Well, no? So maybe it'd be the same as America sending the LAPD to Australia, but you get my point, Hal Jordan and every single one of them, Earthborn or not, is a radicalized foreign agent, with the tactical utility of an aircraft carrier, who will put the Guardian's agenda, universal peace, ahead of American prosperity, so ICE should lock down the aliens, and the CIA should rendition the human Green Lanterns at Guantanamo bay, and reverse engineer their tech.

Sigh.

Kilowog, and others, had to fill out immigration papers in the 1990s.

"Question 45b, have you ever eaten human flesh? What sort of stupid poozer question is that? Do they know how bad human tastes?"

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

A Green Lantern show doesn't need to be heavily set in space at all. The comics have had periods with a heavy cosmic focus, yes, but there have also been periods where it mainly Earth-based, with test pilot Hal Jordan getting into soap opera hijinks with Carol Ferris and her asshole dad who thinks he's a loser, and desperately trying to disabuse his sister-in-law at Jordan family gatherings of her belief that her husband is secretly Green Lantern.

19. Guy Gardener

Hal Jordan is a loser.

Drunk driving, mass murdering, supervillain, pedophile loser.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Wait. What? Pedophile?