CW Looking to Add New Arrowverse Series in 2020

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Aug 4, 2019.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither of these things is true.

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they can't make Starfire orange or Beast Boy's skin green...seems like GL constructs would be tough.
    Indeed
    So you're saying repeat shots...like Filmation would do in Flash Gordon with Hawkmen being vaporized every other episode, is what could make it doable?

Makes sense to me for a SPACESHIP show, where you have that 15-39 seconds watching it fly or going down the body of the ship...but for Green Lantern, you wpuld need original constructs...

I think the GL movie..when they showed Is and the training, felt appropriately cosmic. TV count handle that, IMO.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could turn her into more of a street magician type performer.
    We haven't heard about the live action Justice League Dark movie in a while, so maybe they could just do that with Constantine and Zatanna as the co-leads. With Swamp Thing ending there's no reason they couldn't just bring the character, either the same version or a new, over to this.
    I thought of another one I would love to see, that I doubt very much would happen, Demon Knights. I just read the first collection recently and really enjoyed it, and with GoT over everyone seems to be scrambling to do their own medieval fantasy show. It could also be a chance to give Casper Crump a chance to play Vandal Savage again, after he already improved in his appearance last season. The most complicated things in the show were magic spells, monsters, and a flying horse, and we've already seen them do a lot of similar stuff on the current shows.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Obviously they wouldn't do it every episode. Naturally they'd do the same thing they do already on Supergirl and Flash and Legends -- do more modest FX on a regular basis and save the really big, expensive stuff for a few episodes per season.

As I mentioned before, I'm thinking of a show that would be largely set on Earth with occasional visits to space, like the GL comics have often done it. Or they could follow the lead of Green Lantern: The Animated Series and concoct a reason to base the main characters on a spaceship or station so you'd have standing sets. Sure, they couldn't duplicate the spectacle of the comics on a weekly basis, but they could do some really cool stuff maybe half a dozen times per season, like they do on the other shows.

After all, as cool as the Arrowverse's FX are, they aren't the main reason we watch the shows. I don't like the idea of a John Stewart/Diggle GL show because I want to see glowing green helicopters and dinosaurs; I like the idea because it would be cool to see David Ramsey play John Stewart for real. He doesn't have to go flying around in space in every episode, as long as he's involved in good storylines and character interactions.

5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it comes down to money.. How much they are willing to pay for the CGI... I mean, you couldn't do an "Animiated" suit like the movie did ( to horrible effect.. ugh).
    Do they have the audience to pull off a Lanteren Tv series and have an appropriate budget? on the cw probably not.. they "Maybe get" 5 million to watch, usually quite less.. if it was on the DC stream, its possible, or the Netflix.. maybe.. but to do it justice, you'd need close to Discovery money.. which you wouldn't have.. We'll see down the line if TV effects can get better. :)

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what concept people have in their heads for what Green Lantern is supposed to be about, but it's not like other superhero shows where the guy walks around in civies 75% of the time, flits between two or three standing sets and only uses the full superhero getup two or three times an episode to catch some bank robbers or baddie of the week in between having some personal drama with the person yammering in his ear.

Lanterns aren't really street level crime fighters. They're cosmic level space police, each responsible for an entire sector of space. This is not something you can credibly do the way things are done on Arrow, Flash, Supergirl or even LoT. If every planet start looks like downtown Vancouver, people will notice. Hell, they struggle enough as it is to make LoT look half-way credible and that's a mostly comedy show that has the luxury of being able to hire period costumes, care & set-dressing because they're real things that exist.
    Good luck going to a prophouse and trying to get costumes, props and makeup sorted for 50 Kalanorian extras without having to fabricate most of it from scratch!

There are much more suitable characters to use if you want another superhero show in the same vein as the existing CW stable. Doing a Green Lantern show is like doing a Captain Marvel (no, not the Red Cheese one) show. Sure you could ground them on Earth and take away their powers...but then why bother? Just make a Blue Beetle, Wonder Girl or Ms. Martian show instead.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  7. Christopher

How do you define "appropriate?" Exactly replicating what the comics do isn't even on the table for a TV series. Naturally you adapt it to what's possible. You set it largely on Earth or on a ship, you use mostly humanoid aliens, you tell stories driven more by characters and drama than action and effects (which is a good thing). But that doesn't mean you can't occasionally do some really cool visual stuff for the sweeps episodes and the crossovers and the premieres and the finales. It's amazing how much the Arrowverse has managed to achieve on a TV budget, compared to what was possible 10 years ago, let alone 20 or 30. They keep raising the bar, because they don't give up when faced with a challenge.

No different from what Star Trek or Doctor Who or countless other space shows have managed to do over the decades. And Supergirl's already established a number of alien species whose designs could be repurposed for their counterparts in Earth-1's universe, so they've got a leg up on that already.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well for one thing modern Star Trek is about the most expensive per episode show on TV that doesn't feature dragons, so not the best example for affordability.
    And of course the main characters aren't flying around in front of a green screen 70% of the time. Plus, as previously stated, show like Trek have the same luxuries as the likes of Flash & Arrow: ie: standing sets you can film 90% of the scenes on. And while a lot of the costumes and make-up are custom, they also get to re-use the same ones *a lot*, which massively reduces production costs after the pilot.
    It'd be like making a Star Trek show with a crew of 1, no ship and all the exposition comes from a piece of jewellery.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're asuming that they need to spend a lot.

Just use a green felt tip pen on the negative, like they used to in the 60s.

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Remember, some are deliberately downgrading GL's nature as a character in order to force feed it through the less than spectacular FX grinder of the Arrowverse. That desperation to drag GL into it would only cheapen the character, but again, GL is likely headed toward the big screen, and there's no way that would not lay the tracks to use every major GL of the past 40+ years, including John Stewart.

Or as some have suggested, the magical characters who did operate in the real world often, like vintage Spectre stories.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still amazed we got the King Shark vs Gorilla Grodd episode and it wasn't a complete train wreck. No it didn't have Endgame calliber effect, but it was still pretty damn impressive for a mid-level network TV show.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

From what I gather, King Shark at least only looked that good because one of their asset builders worked his arse off in his own time to make it look that good. Had it been made purely on the clock, it probably would have been not so great.
    Not sure if Grodd was the same deal, but it may have been the same artist.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

In the comics, her skin is supposed to be golden, like someone with a good tan. Pop a pair of sunglasses on her and she can walk down the street without people wondering if she's from the Jersey Shore or Loompaland.

Ovation likes this.
  14. Christopher

Yes, I believe it was. They were both cases where the FX artists were so eager to achieve it that they worked on their own time to build the models, and that's what made it possible to do the episodes.

That's why I'm not willing to rule anything out when it comes to Arrowverse FX. These guys love what they're doing and have repeatedly gone above and beyond to achieve the nigh-impossible.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly--at least in the early years she was seen in public on a number of occasions and nobody really noticed, other than she was a strikingly beautiful woman. She should have had green eyes throughout though, even when not using her powers. But that's a minor nitpick.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's time for something more light-hearted and comedic. Here's hoping for the adventures of Bat-Mite and Mr. Mxyzptlkxpztkxlpkzxlptkt, or however you spell it.

Kor

Morpheus 02 and Spaceman Spiff like this.
  17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's how you do Green Lantern without a features-sized budget:
    * Treat it like a "Serialized Procedural" (i.e. Elementary, iZombie, or ANGEL) by centering it on the adventures and exploits of a single Green Lantern and giving it an episodic format with a broader overarching plot that runs through the season in the background

* When you do bring in other members of the Corps, limit their number to a handful of "key" characters

* Give the GLC members you feature - including the central protagonist - a "core" set of constructs that they tend to useRenee

You don't have to sacrifice the things that make the Green Lantern Corps cool in order to make the property work on a television budget; you just need to know how to maximize the medium to tell the story you want to tell.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the really significant non-human GLs probably would be fairly easy to do with makeup and prosthetic.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not really interested in seeing a GL teamed with the local PD solving the murder of the week.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

More comedic than Legends of Tomorrow?