Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Janeway’s Girl, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some stuff with the cast.

Seven of Five likes this.
  2. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

So apparently the CEG tour is coming to the UK. There was supposed to be an announcement yesterday, so I was waiting on tenterhooks all day, only to find out they actually meant today.

So no idea where or when but I hope it's something I can do.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  3. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm going to say that the final season was nowhere near as good as the first three seasons. I was also a bit disappointed with the ending, as it felt like a cop out. Kind of a bait and switch. Even the songs weren't anywhere near as good in season 4.

That said, the post finale concert was amazing, and would have been better if it was 2 hours long.

Favorite songs, or at least the songs I own right now:

First Penis I Saw--brilliant Abba tribute, and the video is even funnier than the lyrics. I think that was their finest work.

We Tapped That Ass
    Greg's Drinking Song
    Hello, Nice To Meet You (not really funny, but well written and catchy)
    I Gave You a UTI
    I Have Friends
    I'm A Good Person
    I'm So Good at Yoga
    It Was a Shit Show
    JAP Battle
    Oh My God I Think I Like You
    Remember That We Suffered.
    Santa Ana Winds
    Stuck In The Bathroom
    West Covina
    Where's the Bathroom
    Who's The New Guy
    You Stupid Bitch

4. Janeway’s Girl

@Seven of Five, that would be so awesome if you could see CXG Live! Good luck!

@Kirk Prime, I agree that season 4 (and even 3) wasn’t as good as the first two but I still loved the show as a whole. I wish the concert had been two hours long as well.

5. Janeway’s Girl

Seven of Five and gblews like this.
  6. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked "Sports Analogies" from this season. Not a song that advanced the plot or anything, but a well crafted Rat Pack tribute nonetheless. Santa Ana Winds has grown on me, initially I was annoyed that the lyrics didn't rhyme, but it's still really catchy anyway.

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten how clever and funny We Tapped That Ass was. The show's songwriters had a real talent for double entendre as well as a real interesting tendency to present songs with lyrics, arrangements, and melodies, that seemed to be in conflict. Tends to elicit, at the least, a "huh?", from the listener and holds your attention throughout.

"Ass" has this jaunty, bouncy little arrangement that loudly relates and mocks some of the most intimate details of Rebecca's sexual life with Greg and Josh. All while she sits, with an annoyed, and distressed look on her face. Hard to imagine a more horrifying scenario for anyone.

My fav part is when, as Greg and Josh's little dance break ends, Josh says he'll "finish", Rebecca's admonishes, "not on my chest!". Greg and Josh ignore this and proceed to jump on top of her "chest" (of drawers), and "finish". :lol:

Not only has Crazy Ex created a "new" sitcom sub genre, they've set a standard that anyone (not named Sondheim) attempting to follow will find hard to duplicate.

8. Seven of Five

The majority of the songs are amazing. The ones I don't tend to listen to as much are still good in their own way because thy're just a parody of something I don't know or don't like.

So I managed to get tickets to the London show! It's a shame they aren't the best seats but it will still be a wonderful time. It's not actually the rest of the cast, it's just Rachel Bloom and and her music producer/song co-writer Adam Schlesinger . They'll be singing songs from the show, and it will also involve stand-up from Rachel. Me and the hubby are trekking down to London from Stoke, and we're in a hotel within rolling distance of the venue! :lol:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    gblews and Janeway’s Girl like this.
  9. Janeway’s Girl

^ That’s amazing that you got tickets! I’m sure you’ll have a great time. :) Please update here once you’ve seen the show.

@gblews, I totally agree. Also I found it amusing that almost all of Greg’s songs were the most difficult to write, because he’s such a “difficult” character.

I’ve started my re-watch and it makes me so happy to revisit the beginning!

10. Seven of Five

Will do! :)

I bought myself a t-shirt to wear. One with a big heart with a cross through it, that they all wore in Without Love You Can Change The World.

I plan on another rewatch at some time on the near future.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

From the article "Rachel Bloom: We didn’t expect that [Santino Fontana] was leaving."

See, I've heard them say that more than once but they only had Santino sign on for one year. Not that that's proof of anything, but it's hard to believe they really didn't know he was leaving when they never contracted him for more than one season in the first place. And there are several quotes from people that seem contradictory.

"We didn’t expect that [Santino Fontana] was leaving." - Rachel Bloom

"[Greg's departure was] something we were always talking about doing because the love triangle was not really the intention of the piece..." - Aline Brosh McKenna

Showrunner Aline Brosh McKenna says that she and star Rachel Bloom “knew their love triangle was going to be working its way out the door in Season 2, so that’s why when his contract came up, it was perfect.”

"The show's about the pursuit of happiness, and ultimately [Greg's] happiness would be elsewhere from [Rebecca]. So we'd always talked about doing that, and we knew it was going to happen this season," Brosh McKenna says. "Luckily, Santino was on board with him, so we worked with him to work on the right timing of it. He was fine with it and he embraced it, and he got a lot of great songs going out the door -- and a big tap number!"

I'm sure there's some wiggle room and I'm maybe just not seeing that it can work both ways, but I am curious as to how they really planned it originally. (McKenna also said when Greg left that he probably wouldn't ever come back, that's just not how the story goes. So they clearly had second thoughts on that after a few years. :) )

12. Janeway’s Girl

I heard conflicting reports about his departure and really don’t know what to believe. I like to think it’s a bit of both. Santino wanted to leave to pursue other projects and Rachel and co. wanted the love triangle to end but were really sad to lose the character. Though I’ve always found it weird that they ended the Rebecca/Josh/Greg triangle just to start another with Rebecca/Josh/Nathaniel.

And as much as I wanted (original) Greg to come back, I don’t think his return was a good idea story wise. In season 4 Rebecca is finally recovering and good with being single. Bringing Greg back only reignited the “who should I choose” plot.

13. Seven of Five

So it finally happened. I trekked down to London and saw Rachel Bloom. What an atmosphere. :eek:

We were spoilt rotten by having Scott Michael-Foster and Pete Gardner there, and Kat who did choreography for the show was there too. Scott and Pete blew the roof when they showed up.

So many of my favourites were played. I'm a Good Person, Period Sex, Love Traingle, Feeling Kinda Naughty, What'll it Be, The Darkness, Let's Have Intercourse, Gettin Bi, I Love My Daughter...

You Stupid Bitch is tremendous with 2000 people singing along as well.

There was a great moment where they sang Friendtopia, but brought on two people from the crowd to fill in for Lovella and Gabrielle. Rachel also did a version of It Was A Shitshow, which was good.

She sang a couple of songs off her TouTube channel, and we even had a rendition of Stacey's Mom that Adam Schlesinger wrote apparently.

So much to take in. It was brilliant, and I could sit and watch it again. The only way it could have been better would be like a 4 or 5 hour playlist with every single song in Crazy Ex Girlfriend. :techman:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  14. gblews

Man sounds great. Rachel was tweeting about it last two weeks. I remember you said you had tix. Would love to have been there.

15. Seven of Five

My hubby couldn't make it because it work (meh) so went by myself, which was quite an impulsive decision for me. Even more impulsive was that knowing I would be alone in London, I could meet up with some of the other CEG fans I know from my Facebook group. ;)

I'm so glad I did, so many people were dressed in cosplay. We had a massive inflatable pretzel, we had loud speakers so we could listen to songs as a warm up! So many other Rebeccas I lost count of which one was which.

I'd heard people had travelled from Ireland, France and even the Netherlands!

16. Janeway’s Girl

@Seven of Five it sounds like you had a blast! I’m low-key jealous. :) It’s so cool that some of the cast was there too! I would have totally rocked out to Gettin’ Bi!

17. Seven of Five

She also kept making fun of our adorable accents, and also about the amount of booze we were drinking. :techman:

18. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got to see their show in Radio City. It was good, but I wonder if people felt the way that I did--I had a great time, but felt like they did so few of my favorites. I guess that happens when you probably have 100 out of 150 songs that are really good. Still, I can't believe they didn't do First Penis I Saw on stage. I still think that's the funniest song. And even without Santino, they should have done We Tapped That Ass. I thought it was kind of funny that I have 20 songs on my phone, and they did only like 6.

19. Seven of Five

Funnily enough they sang We Tapped That Ass, but it was Adam Schlesinger singing with Rachel and Kat tapping. They were great.

His rendition of What'll it Be brought a tear to my eye, it's one of my favourites.

20. gblews

Considering the sheer number of songs in the show and the number of viewer favorites, 6 out of 20 seems like a pretty high percentage to me.

I just know she'd never do Love Kernels or It's a Rush to Be a Bride, two of the more obscure tunes and two of my favs. But there are so many others that I like, (plus it's Rachel and the cast after all), I know I wouldn't have missed certain songs too much.