course:obilvion

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I watched this episode yesterday and notice minor errors in the episode,like the duplicates are from dna from the original voyager crew,one thing I notice is the voyager itself,it is a man made object which doesn't have dna so how would the silver blood able to copy the voyager etc when there is no dna to copy from?.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The silver blood can copy literally anything. It doesn't require DNA. You'll notice it copied Harry and Tom's spacesuits in "Demon"...

3. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

It's a plot hole.

More importantly, why did the duplicates from "Course: Oblivion" suddenly suffer from amnesia?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ It wasn't sudden. We have no idea how long it took before they forgot who they were, because "Course: Oblivion" takes place a long time after they were duplicated.

5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

One of my favorite episodes actually. I wish both crews could have met up briefly at the end.

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It might have been nice if they barely got off an indication they existed before dying, but I like the way the episode ended.

If they had an opportunity to chat between crews they would have had to tell the real Voyager about the cool new warp technology they discovered that would have them home in a couple years. It's interesting how Demon-Voyager was much more successful than Voyager.

The biggest question is how they could have forgotten they were duplicates. The easy answer is, they copied the original crew's neural circuitry exactly. So once they were away from the demon planet and committed to that form, that neural circuitry did not contain any other information than they were the original Voyager crew.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The human memory is a malleable enough thing (just look at how Trek fans here ignore the existence of episodes like "Rascals" when heaping praise on TNG;)), when you add in alien replicas, they can forget anything the story need them to.

I love and hate "Course: Oblivion". It's excellent and utterly heartbreaking.

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

What I wonder about are their missions since "Demon" if they encountered any other cultures.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^There was a really good novel called Battle Lines which was just a few details away (name of the aliens, whether they actually enlisted Voyager or just tried) from one of the duplicate Voyager's adventures Chakotay mentions.

10. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like dthis episode, too, although I wish they'd scripted it so we didn't find out the truth of what they were so soon.

11. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With them rushing straight toward each other, on each other's sensors. The tension on both ships (and where I was sitting I might add) as one Crew of people I cared for strained to get there, the other straining to see what was coming. ... pffft. Oblivion...... Then Janeway saying make a note in the ship's log that something was there and now it's gone. Now there will never be anyone or anything to ever know.... they 'were'

Opening the episode with the wedding & celebration that had been long awaited by viewers was brilliant because we were celebrating with them as our Crew. Then the discovery. But they remained our own even if they were facsimiles. It sucked the air out of my lungs, my mind spun as I processed this. The discussion, the decision, running back for their lives... literally.

King Daniel says it perfectly for me:

12. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neelix over the deceased Captain= :sad: beautifully filmed. I hate watching it. I cry.

13. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Such a sad episode:( It was really well done. It made me wish that the real Tom and B'Elanna had married on screen. Btw, seeing as it was offscreen, did they have an actual wedding or not?

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was too much blood from the painstick malfunction for them to show it onscreen but yes, some kind of ritual took place.

15. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or maybe Janeway married them in her ready room? And then everyone partied in the mess hall?

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

By party you mean synthehol and hors d'oeuvres and rambutans piled up because they look like alien food?

17. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For myself, I do not doubt it. Just as joyous, just a full of smiles and celebration, just as full of the entire ship's crew as the one we saw.

It was the first wedding on Voyager, I would think the duplicates would similarly duplicate our Tom&B'Elanna's preferences. I count on it.

In my mind I remember it as Tom & B'Elanna's too. I just fold both crews together.

Or maybe that. But it would be as big and happy and celebrated as the original. It would all be good!

18. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if someone cracked a clavicle on the wedding night to bless the union. :devil:

19. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Hey, bite your tongue! I love "Rascals"!;)

20. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Well, if you're talking about the demon couple, they were kinda melting at the time so maybe the clavicle was already too soft to break.:lol: