COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks cool! It's nice to see them building on the events from the first movie to good effect. Me like.

3. F. King Daniel

Ugh. It's just a nightmare of Spock's, where he saves his mother but the ship is destroyed. It tells us nothing new. Bleh!

False alarm, people. Go back to what you were doing.

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tut tut. It tells us that Spock is still suffering from guilt. It hints that perhaps the Elders or the Katric Arc could feature in the next movie. It could be hinting that Spock is still not overly comfortable with Kirk as Captain and feels that it's his responsibility to keep Kirk from stumbling and making a catastrophic mistake.

Could John Harrison be a human accidentally possessed by an angry Vulcan Elder's Katra (seems a bit too similar to the first movie to carry out another revenge plot though)?

It could be hinting at all sorts of lunatic possibilities. To quote Uhura, 'This isn't reality; this is fantasy!'

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Nono, Orci & Co continue to bring us a new alternate universe with every new film. Y'know, to keep things fresh.

6. F. King Daniel

I never thought of Harrison carrying a bitter, twisted Vulcan's Katra! That's a great idea.

7. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock is still upset. This might have some consequences for “Harrison case”.
    He might even consider "logical" what Harrison is doing and goes against Kirk at some point of the movie.

8. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

URGH......I do not like the artwork.

it is kind of too cartoonish.I wish the characters are drawn the same way as their star trek ongoing counterparts. The artwork in the ongoing series is beautiful and well done. However this will do.

So Nu Spock is still upset about his mother, I am not suprised. The second movie is set 6 months after the events of the first film so it is understandable that he is still in the grieving stage. This might also give us an insight of why he has no regards for his life.

Him willing to die in a volcano and jumping off cliff and all.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

He didn't jump off the cliff.

10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Didnt he jump off a cliff or a tower in the trailer?

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock could have survivor's syndrome personified in the death of his mother. If only 10,000 did make it off that planet, a lot of them may be wondering if it was luck or logic that saved them. And why them? They may also have a particularly tough time dealing with the mindlessness of it all. There was no logic in what Nero did. This stoic race was almost wiped out by an act of pure passion for no reason other than the blind hatred of one individual -- Spock Prime, and something that happened in another universe. Vulcans also might not be as jaded towards senseless violence as, say, humans are, and it's particularly tougher for them to cope with than they expected. After all, they do feel.

And, if Spock's still feeling that bad about it, how do you think Chekov feels? If he'd just been able to get a lock a tenth of a second sooner -- . Don't think, "Is there anything different I could've done?" hasn't run through his mind at night more than a few times?

12. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Risky Business starts with the same line "The dream is always the same."

Risky Business, however, has a much more fascinating payoff.

13. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

OOOOOOHHH....

Shiny!

When will the comic be out?

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes. I think it was a building.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

A building in San Francisco - the Financial District, at roughly the intersection of Battery Street and Clay.

16. F. King Daniel

My guess is that it's an improbable Avengers-style leap onto a passing (flying) car, which he'll commandeer in his continuing persuit of Harrison.

Also...
    [​IMG]

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

eh, Spock feels bad about his mom. Nothing new there.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the hell is this shit? Spock has a nightmare about Vulcan's destruction? That's the preview we get of the series? Now we're really going to uber-draconian lengths to avoid revealing any kind of info about the movie. The preview which could set up the plot of the comic and gives us hints about the movie is essentially a recap of the previous movie.

This kind of dicking around is getting out of hand and offensive. Either reveal something or don't, stop playing these games of kind of revealing something but not really doing anything. At least Countdown's preview had the hilariously horrible dialogue of Nero and his crew. "No time to explain, Big Boy. Just get your ass moving."

January 23, this coming Wednesday.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually it makes perfect sense that the comic would open this way. It's an interstitial work between the two movies, and there's no guarantee that the people who read it will read any of the other Abramsverse comics; so for many readers, this will be the very next story in sequence after the '09 movie. So it makes perfect sense to begin it with a reference to the events of that movie, a reminder of it to establish the progression of events. It's being done that way for story reasons, not because of some evil conspiracy to keep people in the dark. And it's perfectly understandable why they wouldn't preview more than the first few pages; after all, it hasn't come out yet, so it makes no sense to expect to be shown more than a small portion of the work. Just because you don't get instant gratification, that doesn't mean anyone's doing anything wrong. There was a time when people understood that.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I just expect a preview to be, well a preview, not a recap. The preview to Countdown, we were introduced to Nero and his crew. That's a preview.

Really, it's just beginning to feel like a bit too much effort is going into keeping things a secret in regards to STID, moreso than XI and they sure went overboard there. After a full year of it, it is rather frustrating. A better approach would be Abrams and his gang to just keep their mouths shut until they want to give something away. None of this "this guy is playing a canon character but we won't tell you who he is" or eleven months until finally saying "the character's name is John Harrison." There was something to be said about the days when scripts leaked online. Hell, even Rick Berman gave away actual spoilers in his official interviews. I miss those days.