Could The Borg be misdirection? Romulan Katras maybe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by wayoung, Jul 23, 2019.

1. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, no, obviously the Borg play a major part here but I'm wondering if this mystery girl who seems to know Picard without knowing him and is very important etc etc isn't just an ex drone. I'm wondering if maybe she has Romulan Katra's from the destruction of Romulus (or from Picard's evacuation of it/evacuation of Borg attacked Romulan space).

We know Spock and other Vulcans were working towards reunification so it's not impossible that some Romulans rediscovered unused telepathic abilities - including Katra's. Maybe that's why "she will be the end of us". The Katra's contain knowledge the current Romulan rulers DO NOT want revealed....

Anyway, just a thought.

Ar-Pharazon and Pindar like this.
  2. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think katras is the answer, but I like what you're thinking generally. I'd love if they threw us a curveball and had her not necessarily linked to all the Borg business.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really hope the Borg are a misdirection. I really, really, want that to happen.

Mr. Laser Beam and Qonundrum like this.
  4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded. The more I think into it a new facet appears. Why would Borg conspire with Romulans to make any alliance with? It was enough of a stretch for Janeway to do it and at least the Borg had a larger enemy to deal with (Species 8472, so I find it hard to believe the Federation has been attacking back so continuously successfully).

And it's not anywhere near the same situation as Lore (or the same Borg, they were an isolated splinter) but it's not like the Borg aren't powerful enough to send 2 or 3 full cubes followed by some spheres, diamonds, clovers, and a couple horseshoes and be done with both Romulans and then Federation the way even VOY showed in an episode (I forgot which one, in season 5 or 6...).

5. fireproof78

Spock was dead...until he wasn't.

This is Star Trek. No one is every really dead.

saladdays and BillJ like this.
  6. Delta Geminorum

Delta Geminorum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry, I should have put those lines in quotes.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Us"? Did I miss the Borg Invasion?

8. Delta Geminorum

Delta Geminorum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was quoting the female changeling and replaced the word Cardassian with Borg.

9. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

That was part of the Roswell cover up.

10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I thought a couple hundred peoples flung that cover back this past weekend?
    :whistle:

11. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a extreme Romulan faction is trying to weaponize Borg tech so they can rebuild their Empire, which is a different story related the Borg and lets the Romulans take the spotlight. So this girl may be a threat to their plans somehow.

12. fireproof78

How?

13. fireproof78

I didn't even follow half of that. Romulans are my favorite Trek species, bar none, and none of these events "basterdize" them or whatever. Nemesis certainly wasn't a good film, it didn't diminish my love of Romulans or seem out of character.

Also, Nero is my second favorite Romulan, after the Romulan commander.

14. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I'm getting The Return vibes here. A collusion between the Borg and Romulans mean Kirk is coming back. :techman:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far, the only Borg cube we saw in the trailer, was a defunct one (with killed drones), that was salvaged and used as a prison by Romulans. That's a far cry from the old-school "Borg invasion" storylines, and IMO also a very interesting angle to what happens with the Borg after the collective got defeated.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the Borg themselves don't appear, just leftover bits of technology, I'm OK with that.

(I totally buy, for example, the comics' suggestion that the Narada from ST09 was upgraded with Borg tech. There's no way that a monstrosity like that was a simple mining vessel...)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There will, absolutely, definitely either some Borg drones, or, more likely, the whole cube come back to life, most likely as a direct result of the Romulans' experiments, assimilate all the Romulans and prisoners still on board, and go on a rampage to be stopped by our heroes.

And I will enjoy every second of that!

Though it still wouldn't be a "traditional" Borg episode, but now likely a Romulan "playing with fire"/"unintended consequences by weapons gone rogue"/"Zombie outbreak" type of story.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The whole "5843 days without an assimilation" thing is Chekhov's gun and it must be fired before the season ends.

Rahul likes this.
  19. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They will revive McCoy and he will store all of the Romulan Katras

20. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you basically joined TrekBBS to complain? Welcome aboard, you'll find plenty of your ilk here :techman: