News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope you are feeling a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Hope you're on the mend and starting to feel better, LoB.

3. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was in Pearls Before Swine recently...

And @Locutus of Bored, we all hope you get well soon. Hang in there. :techman:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  5. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the Governor of New Mexico has just stated that all schools here will reopen for in-person learning on Feb. 8. My art teacher wife isn't exactly freaking out over this, but she's not happy. She got her first shot today and not scheduled for #2 until the 23rd. Guess we'll see where this leads...

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good luck.

marillion likes this.
  7. think

think About it! Premium Member

Deadhead parking lots.jpg
    maybe put deadheads in charge of the doses at the stadium parking lots... ?

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope everyone stays well and safe. To those who are affected, take care and feel better.

I live in a multigenerational house with family members. My elderly parents recently tested positive for Covid 19 after my mom's caregiver got sick last weekend. We suspect she (the caregiver) had known she was infected but kept coming to the house anyway up until last week.

Since I found out about the caregiver's situation, I have been in quarantine since the beginning of this week. All other household members are working, so at times I've felt like I'm the only one looking after my parents. Thankfully, they both have mild cough and cold symptoms. My dad and I take care of Mom, who has dementia, and it's been incredibly difficult trying to find a caregiver willing to work with Covid patients.

For some strange reason, I was given two quarantine periods by the HR department at my workplace: 10 days from my last contact with caregiver; after that, an additional 14 days before I can return to the office. I really really hate telecommuting, and due to the situation at home, I can't concentrate on work anyway until we can find care for Mom.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  9. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Good luck to you, and best wishes to your family for a full recovery.

Gary Mitchell and Gryffindorian like this.
  10. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

biontech started production in marburg today - one batch will be 8 million shots. the first batch will be delivered in early april

lol, just saw their hq is located and der goldgrube 12 in mainz - that means next to the gold mine

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

@Gryffindorian I hope your family members all make a swift and full recovery from Covid and that you can find some caregiver assistance for your Mom. Having been a caregiver (along with my sisters) for my Mom and Grandparents (both of whom had Alzheimer's related dementia) I can sympathize completely with the strain you must be under, especially during Covid. I wish you well and hope you use every opportunity to take care of yourself when possible.

12. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I was given my vaccine dose last week. I will be getting the second dose next week.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  13. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

The vaccine hasn't hit the general public in my area yet. Mostly still healthcare workers and higher risk people. We still have a long way to go before the general public gets it here.

14. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I work at the airport which is why i got the first vaccine dose earlier. I was told that once we get the 2nd dose, a certificate would be issued to us so that we can show to immigration, that we have been immunised, when we travel overseas.

The quarantine period for travelers might still be observed though. It just allows for access to travel for now. Things can change.

15. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
  17. Gryffindorian

Other family members have been sick as well, including my brother who tested positive last week. Three sisters who aren't part of our household have had symptoms but are negative.

To make matters worse, my dad is now in the hospital being treated with antivirals. He had been feeling short of breath, so I finally decided to call an ambulance.

The good news is, my family has found a homecare agency willing to take on an assignment, but help won't be available until next week.

I know this sounds really selfish, but I feel my other siblings/relatives who aren't sick have shunned their responsibilities. I'm overwhelmed, tired, and feeling let down. But everyone is afraid, so I can't blame them. I'm almost positive that I am positive too, since I have been having chills for the past two nights.

Thanks for the kind words and moral support.

18. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Take care of yourself.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  19. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    Unfortunately, that happens outside of pandemics as well. Too often the burden seems to be carried by just one. It may not be said, but I'm certain your parents appreciate all you do.

I was fortunate that my brother and I were on the same page for taking care of our parents and were able to distribute the work based on each's abilities. Both had passed well prior to all this, in some ways a minor blessing.

Gryffindorian and Worf factor9 like this.
  20. Gryffindorian

My family is devastated beyond words.

My oldest sister passed away unexpectedly from Covid yesterday. She had been sick with flu-like symptoms for two weeks. The strange thing was that previously she had tested twice and the result always came back negative.

In the early hours of the day, the paramedics came to take her as she had difficulty breathing. When her oxygen saturation level went down, she went into cardiac arrest. Hospital staff tried to resuscitate her without success.

Everything happened so fast, and while she had pre-existing conditions like diabetes, none of us, her family, saw this coming. I haven't suffered a family loss like this in decades, and I feel a part of me has died too.