News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I've been taking my four year old daughter for walks round my local pond, and I ask her 'what are the rules' before we leave every time and she says 'don't touch anything, don't go near anybody and wash our hands when we get back'

Why the fuck do grown adults not get this?

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^I have no idea why so many adults are having problems with this or why they seem to be not taking this seriously, i mean you will always get those that won't be told, and that is on their own heads, but on this matter their actions can only go against everything everyone else is trying to do to stop this thing in its tracks.

Common sense scoreboard
    Children 1 Adults -10

rhubarbodendron and Smellmet like this.
  3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there are the basic rules everyone should be following, and most of them are common sense. Then there are the rules that are different via different country and state/province. Right now, in my city, with temporary by-laws put into place, bylaw officers are allowed to arrest anyone who is blatantly not following those rules, ie social distancing, isolating, encourage citizens to report any violations they see, and they'll outrightly arrest confirmed cases that aren't following the 14-day isolation rule, and the fines are steep.

As for why children are grasping this more easily, I think it's the fact that adults in general tend to be more cynical, while children don't really get that sentiment until they're older, so they'll more easily follow what they're told to do.

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

246 000 have recovered so far from this virus which is some good news.

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Adults are s-m-r-t smart.

Smellmet and Worf factor9 like this.
  6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I do wish we'd hear more about the active & recovered cases. The number of positives & deaths will just grown. Whereas the active cases will eventually peak & begin tapering off. That's an important thing for us to be conscious of as well imho

We're not there yet, obviously, but of the 890K active cases worldwide, only about 42K (5%) are in serious or critical condition, & even those are mostly in about a half dozen countries. So if those places' medical communities can hold out, maybe that number doesn't get too out of control & the VAST majority of people who get this will recover in another month or 2, when hopefully the spread also slows, if our measures work out.

What's crazy to me is almost half the active cases in the US, are in southern New York & upper New Jersey, within 100 miles of the center of Long Island. Basically, this red oval represents nearly half the US' active infected. I live about where the N is in New York
    [​IMG]

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

good point!
    There's good news from Germany, too: the rate of new infections has been almost constant for the last 2 weeks. Though we could not stop the virus yet, we nevertheless managed to slow it down to about 1/16 the speed it would have without the contact restrictions. In other words: by staying at home 2 weeks we bought our scientists, doctors and nurses 4 months and kept tens of thousands from getting infected =)
    new infections Germany:
    [​IMG]
    overall infections Germany:
    [​IMG]
    overall infections world:
    [​IMG]
    sources: WHO (world) and Robert-Koch-Institut (Germany)

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  8. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Ed Robertson of Barenaked Ladies did a touching cover song for Adam Schlesinger.

Worf factor9 likes this.
  9. Haggis and tatties

A nice summers day yesterday so went to the beach, had a picnic, then went to the park and then had a barbeque, then went a wander around some torists traps......great day all round, hope for more good weather tomorrow for another great day out..........Oh wait, sorry, i missed a bit at the beginning of that, that shoud read ....So the cretins saw......:shrug:

Worf factor9 likes this.
  10. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got it, you sarcastic A-:devil:.

Did you also take the dog along to catch frisbees, mix w/ other dog-lovers, share beers and some grab-as...? ;)

11. Haggis and tatties

^^^Oh yeah, take the dog and kids along, that is a given at this point.

Worf factor9 likes this.
  12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Here in New York, the grocery supply chains are starting to buckle under the strain. Everybody's trying to provision for weeks at a time, and we're not built to handle that.

13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Totally OT, but is that... XP? That's a blast from the past! :lol:

Our premier removed a whole bunch of businesses from the "essential services" list, effective at the end of the day yesterday. Apparently the pot shops are no longer deemed essential. According to the news they were VERY busy yesterday on their last day!

(Don't worry, Ontarians, the liquor stores are still considered essential for some reason. No need to panic.)

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of BNL, they've been doing a number of jam sessions and this one is quite appropriate:

EmoBorg likes this.
  15. Worf factor9

[​IMG] :beer:

Avro Arrow likes this.
  16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Just got a news alert on my phone. Apparently the UK PM Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital for COVID-19 symptoms.

(I find now that my heart skips a beat every time I hear that "news alert" notification sound. It's like "OMG, what more bad news now?!? :crazy:")

KimMH likes this.
  17. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I honestly can't say I'm surprised. The last picture I saw of him (a videoconferencing screencap) was rough.

18. Worf factor9

Turn it off--now, if only for your own sake.

I saw blue birds...and cardinals out my window the last two days. Next will come the hummers Just a bit to the south of ya'.

We'll get over the Rainbow one day. :)

Gary Mitchell, KimMH and Avro Arrow like this.
  19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Now, as I understand it, it's not that Johnson's condition has worsened, but that he still shows symptoms ten days after testing positive. And as usual in these situations, keep calm. Right now, we don't have the full picture, and the news media is still in the state of jumping to conclusions trying to be "first". Wait till tomorrow, then we'll get a better understanding of what is happening.

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

A four-year old Malayan tiger at Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the virus. :eek:

Source: https://www.livescience.com/tiger-bronx-zoo-has-covid-19.html

Kor