Controversies between fans based on misunderstandings

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by alpha_leonis, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm not really a fan of the nuTrek movies so I just ignore the "Admiral Archer" stuff. I much prefer the bio seen in In A Mirror Darkly, about what happened to him post-ENT. Ambassador to Andoria, Federation Councilman, UFP President etc

And though not seen on screen, about how he died in 2245 aged around 132-133, the day after attending the christening cermeony of the NCC-1701.

Not some stupid crap about Scotty killing the dog of the man who saved Earth from the Xindi and forged the Federation.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Who said the dog was dead? In fact, in the novelization of the 2009 movie, the dog makes a reappearance.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Bashir once said the average human in the future lives to be 140. Assuming it's thanks to a technology the Vulcans brought with them, and Archer being 140 is no biggie. I much prefer the idea of him as an elderly academy instructor to President of Space, which sounds copypasted from Babylon 5. And the idea that he knew the young Kirk and Scotty is very, very cool.

The forthcoming fan film Star Trek: Renegades has Walter Koenig reprising his role as an elderly Chekov in the year 2386.

4. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

Ostensibly dead, then.

Novelizations don't mean a whole lot in that regard. "Johnny" was George Kirk Jr. in it.

5. F. King Daniel

The beagle also returns in the "Scotty" issue of Star Trek Ongoing.

But I prefer to think of it as a spectre, like that guy's son in ENT: "Daedalus", attacking wrongdoers in the spaceways.

6. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

I don't think he was attacking them so much as just randomly moving around with them being in his way. He just happened to exude intense delta radiation, not his fault.

7. Darren Mooney

Darren Mooney Lieutenant Red Shirt

Daedalus was not great, but I did like the idea of a space-age nautical legend. (The kinda story Travis might tell around the campfire in Strange New World.)

8. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

It's hard to make a legend out of something when all the facts about it are well documented.

9. Darren Mooney

Darren Mooney Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yep, one of sizeable problems with the episode. But,hey, there's an interesting idea in there somewhere.

10. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

How about the legend of the flying Dutchman revisited?

The flying Ferengi!

He's cursed to fly in interstellar space until he finds a female to agree to marry him without a single slip of latinum in his name!:lol:

11. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that Archer becoming president is too much. Being an old space-hand instructing the younger generation is much more appealing with this character. Interesting that it seems right for him, but we can't imagine Kirk doing it, or at least really wanting to do it. Even old Kirk always wanted "A piece of the action".

Which captain might go on to become prez? I can imagine President Sisko, or President Janeway. Picard would have to be a prime minister, with that accent, though I see him more as a wise adviser than a ruler.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure I could imagine any Trek character as a politician. Maybe Troi.

As a politician her uselessness would be the norm. ;)

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The alternate universe doesn't split off from the prime one until 25 years prior to TOS.

14. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Game. Set. Match.

--Sran

15. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I pointed that out yesterday! :(

16. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

A few of us did.;)

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Nahh, it was a pre-existing alternate universe, no branching.

:)

18. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

It's like a preexisting condition, it's not covered by your current health care insurance.:lol:

19. Ziriath

Ziriath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What is prime universe? How do we know Spock Prime is the same Spock as in TOS or later in TNG? He can be from some other alternate universe as well. The worst situation is with Romulus though, as its sun is about to become a supernova anyway in all the universes. If we forget the fact that Romulans should've been able to recognise the star is perishing in the time they still were Vulcans and discovered planet Romulus- so they could let it be or leave it soon. They've had centuries of time and technology. Are planets around novas even inhabitable...?

20. F. King Daniel

^Unless the nova wasn't natural - see what Changeling Bashir tried to do in DS9.