Continuum the new tv series!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, May 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or the dots are a by product of the time machine they use?

(Now I have to watch the bloody episode again more carefully. I always listen but my eyes can be dragged off to the other 3/4's of my monitor, which is usually the Trekbbs.)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really want those two monitor set ups so I can always be watching something and looking stuff up and blathering at the same time without any pausing.

3. Guy Gardener

What's stopping you?

The software comes with windows, and even if your graphics card doesn't have an extra plug for a second monitor, which is unlikely, they all usually have a direct plug that goes straight into the back of your TV... Unfortunately the plug on the back of your TV is hardly ever compatible for the plugs in the back of your PC since they were rarely ever built during the same tech booms.

You get to chose between useful second monitor, large screen TV or both.

Yell at your children until someone gets it done before your Birthday.

After someone buys/finds a second monitor, or buys/finds the correct cables to connect to your tv... The syncing process is ticking three of four check boxes off your properties menu.

This covers most everything.
    http://www.cablesforless.com/How-Do-I-Connect-My-Computer-To-My-TV.aspx

So Esher shows her his left hand, and says between the fingers "here" but then after Kiera leaves, he looks at the fucking marks which are between his fingers on his other hand.

Sneaky slippery S.O.B.

Praise Teacake. We're not worthy, we're not worthy.

It's possible that the Freelancers all do not work for the same people or towards the same agendas... Like as if there was some sort of TEMPORAL COLD WAR!

Can they say that, without getting sued?

4. teacake

I think having a cohesive group with one agenda called "The Freelancers" would be silly, they must be varying in their allegiance and interests.

What did Escher say everybody wanted, "power and.."? I'm going to rewatch this ep and the pilot again. I'm wondering if these Freelancers can travel freely or if they are giving up their lives in one time for the thrill of changing the timeline by devoting themselves to planned activities in another time (power). If they can move freely some of them would say fuck it and just become time tourists, but if it's a much more all or nothing deal they would mostly be fanatics.

Escher has nothing personal in his space, so that indicates he's not stuck where he is, he's transient.

As to the monitors and tvs.. my tv is 20 years old from the side of the road so I would have to invest in another actual monitor. Large screen tvs are still kind of expensive here and then someone might actually want to watch the thing (because of its vast improvement on the 20 year old model) in my personal desk space and that would be annoying. So at some point I may just get another monitor.

5. Guy Gardener

Remember Doc Brown getting that Video camera to work on his 50s specific era television?

This is going to sound stupid.

My tv was ancient.

I use an old VCR as a buffer/adapter to get my PC screen to show up on a TV made in the late 80s. The computer cables go into the 10 year old VCR which then other cables go into the 30 year old TV from the VCR. This is also how I run my DVD player into the same TV.

Maybe it won't work for you, maybe it will.

BUT THERE'S ONLY TWO EPISODES LEFT!!!!!!!

(Fuck.)

How can they resolve anything?

Fortunately Continuum has already been renewed, but it seems that the season is going to end with a lot of open plot lines and questions... THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

6. teacake

According to Wikipedia there are 5 episodes left?

(Major spoiler for next episode in description btw)

Your contraption sounds inspired but I fear for the day your vcr suddenly dies. I have a small stockpiles of vcr's so it will be a while before this happens to me but I did go for a few years without one before everyone started throwing theirs out at once.

Someday I may throw them all out myself though when the elephant head tv finally dies and all media is watched on monitors only (no tv connection so don't need an actual tv.)

So Escher says the Freelancers are like a cult, so it seems they do have an agenda as a group if he is to be believed. It's power and control he says everyone wants. Does that actually mean anything special or is it just what everyone says about meddlers in the timestream.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. Guy Gardener

Well do they want power and control of the present they're in, the present they come from or some other present inbetween?

5 episodes. Whew. I feel so much better now.

8. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

hey I forgot about this show. I did watch season one and came away with mixed feelings. Seemed like anything any of the characters did was what they were meant to do and couldn't really change anything.

So is season two just like this or did they let the past be changed which would of changed the characters future?

Plus is the show any good?

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It's utterly confusing.

They've already basically implied that the two times are separate as they killed one of the time traveler's ancestors without him popping out of existence. So changing the past obviously can't have any impact on the future.

The confusion comes from everything else that happens.

Older Alec keeps giving these creepy knowing smiles when he sees Kiera, suggesting that he remembers the experiences in his past. This is all but confirmed if what we reveal about Alec's father turns out to be true in the second season; clearly those events occurred and he had to have been responsible for them, else they couldn't have occurred at all.

But he also seems to have orchestrated the entire scheme in order to change the future he created by influencing his past self to make wiser choices. If that's the case, and the plan worked, then... well, it just doesn't make much sense as he wouldn't have needed to try to influence the past. Unless its a goofy predestination paradox sort of deal.

BUT then that all gets in the way of what we learned in the first point above; that changes to the past don't have any apparent impact on the future. Else Kellog wouldn't be around.

It's even more confusing because we've also been shown that people arrived at different times, meaning that any impact any of them had in the past should/would have influenced the future that the others arrived from. Which they apparently didn't.

So I don't know what to make of any of it. It can't be separate timelines because of Alec's parentage. It can't be the same timeline because of Kellog's existence. So there must be another option that I'm just oblivious to.

10. Guy Gardener

Or changes to the past, then eventually to the future, don't effect timetravelers rooted in the past.

"Divorced from their own continuity"

Besides, they explained away Kellog, made it dusty, claiming that she might not not have been his grandmother, secret adoption, someone cheating and raising someone elses bastard. Shit happens.

That was last year.

Last year disappoint me.

This year there has been less episodic dead end bottle shows. Almost every episode has contributed and added to the over all plot.

A vast improvement.

2 more weeks till a new episode.

Fuck.

11. teacake

So am I the only one who thought that maybe Jason was actually 30 something Alec who went back at some point to create himself? And has now got a batty because paradoxes have mushed his brain?

12. Guy Gardener

The dots don't connect. You can say that it doesn't matter that they don't look alike but Jason is like a foot shorter than Alec.

13. teacake

In the future older Alec decided to compensate for being a short ass and had his legs extended. He IS kind of lurchy creepy tall.

14. teacake

Okay what...? Why is the disappearance of her unwanted partner in the last episode (when he was murdered) never mentioned?

There was no Jason :(

I think Kiera should have shot baby Hitler.

15. Guy Gardener

This is not a time for half measures.

The boat on her son has to have sailed, but her denial is massive, but you get rid of Theseus and she's as good as killed her boy.

Interesting no that the nature of the "factories" was not public knowledge. Lobotomised, then used as a fine tool to assemble pc components... As far as the goodfacts history is concerned, those workers had not been lobotomised, they were still living thinking feeling people... I'm assuming that the lobotomy couldn't be reversed and that is why Theseus is the secret hero of the hour?

But why did the truth never come to light?

What we are seeing?

This week and last episode... Is that what happened last time, or what will happen this time? What we are seeing are not Kiera's memories which is why I question which time line we are viewing.

16. teacake

If she has good as killed her boy if she offs Theseus why is she even bothering trying to ttweak Alec's ethical development since his not turning out like he did would have as much effect on her future?

I would have liked to have seen her kill Theseus and the results just because NO ONE ever kills baby Hitler when actually faced with it.

The lobotomized drones were assembling the same chips that that were inserted in them. Presumably everyone will have one that does different stuff. The soldiers they made must have their own version. What's it going to end up as, a handful of free people who are all in the same club and everyone else is a drone?

I don't think Theseus knew if those people could be saved. I think he just wanted to stop the machine and killing them all was the obvious choice.

17. Guy Gardener

Pushing that button, seemed to kill them all, and they knew that pushing the button killed everyone which is why the assistant didn't want to do it. After the drones fainted/died... Then Boom!

Kiera is inconsistent about how she believes time travel works.

And the monologue at the beginning is still a lie and grossly inaccurate.

But it's "nice" to see what happens when you can't pay your life debt.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Trying to stay away from this thread, Im only on episode 5 of season 2, watching it in the US on Syfy. Might be too tempted to download the rest just to keep up here. LOL

Thats said i am enjoying season 2.

19. teacake

Kiera has no idea how time travel works, but she's not used to be so very much in the dark about anything. Usually she's unraveling and deducing but all she has is unprovable speculations with time travel. And hopes, which is why she's inconsistent because the hopes keep trying to win out.

20. teacake

I am really dim when it comes to tv.. I only just learned that Keira is played by the same woman who played Gaila in ST:XI.

:eek:

Ep 10 was good, lots of Garza who is such a wirey skanky badass. And the reveal at the end with the asian guy having the dot tattoo.. what does that mean? I'm assuming that Travis doesn't know he's a freelancer from the future, or whatever these people actually are.

And NO JASON. Very sad.