News Complete 1st Season to Air on CBS terrestrial in Sept

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by KennyB, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Isaac Lawrence

Isaac Lawrence "NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope" Red Shirt

Yeah, by me saying "connect" I didn't mean it in that way, so it was a poor choice of words.

I should have just stuck with set it all in the same timeline. Like I first said:
    Whether they know each other or not isn't important. And you're right, everyone knowing each other does make it small. And I personally don't like that kind of story telling, anyway.

(And as an aside, given that Michael Burnham is my favorite character: it's fine that Burnham and Spock are "related." But if she had no connection whatsoever with Spock it wouldn't have changed anything for me as it pertains to the character. It probably would have made her a better character, in my opinion. As it stands, it's like, "Okay, that was neat. You didn't have to do it, but it was neat.")

Anyway, so I say just put it all at the same time. "Connect" it that way.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a fair clarification. I still don't see the benefit of having all the same era.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the only real benefit to having multiple shows in the same era would be production related, allow the shows to save budget by using the same sets props and costumes among the multiple shows. Even that seems somewhat negated since Picard reused several sets and ships from Disco, while SNW is using completely different sets and costumes from Disco.

4. Isaac Lawrence

I wonder will Strange New Worlds get the same complaints about the technology looking more advanced than The Original Series (or The Next Generation era, for that matter)?

I think I've seen some, but not at the level that Discovery got; and I guess Discovery is "special" in that regard and Strange New Worlds will probably largely get a pass.

But this is the reason why I say set everything in the same era. Set it way out in the future and knock yourself out, create whatever wild tech you want to create. :cool:

And speaking of which, is this a widespread or long-held feeling in the Star Trek community of wanting shows set in different eras? I didn't think people liked prequels. I know I don't. I just accept Discovery because in my head canon it's as separate from the Prime Timeline as the Kelvin Timeline movies.

It's the Michael Burnham Timeline. :lol:

No, the Discovery Timeline is better.

No, but I'm one of those people where Discovery is basically a reboot of Star Trek as far as I'm concerned. Picard is still obviously the Prime Timeline, but anything Discovery-related is the Michael Burnham Timeline to me. And it'll be funny if they take a page from the movies and establish that in season 3 (yeah, yeah, yeah, season 2 finale negates that, but whatever... they can just say it was always so).

EDIT: *And I forgot watch to Discovery on CBS last night. Arrgh.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The would-be response of a few loud, obnoxious fans should never be used as reasoning to do something or not.

6. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amusingly enough, the second episode ticked up from a 0.2 to a 0.3. It also held a 1.7 million overall viewership.

I still expect that to drop soon enough but wow. Not bad.

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Isaac Lawrence

So...
    ...yeah.

I wonder will the YouTube guys make videos saying it went up? No, probably not? :)

Anyway, the ratings are inline with what CBS gets every Thursday night at that time slot, so yep...

I predict it'll do about the same every week until the Mirror Universe episodes, then the ratings will crater. :lol:

8. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

2nd episode doing better could be because it was its first airing ever on CBS. The first episode was shown on CBS 3 years ago. So those Trek fans too cheap to pay for CBS AA can now catch up on the first season.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's funny to me is I hear people talking about a "new Trek" on TV and excited to watch it.

Vger23 likes this.
  10. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I too think CBS covering different eras is refreshing.

Truthfully, there was no reason for 90s Berman era to all be set at the same time. DS9 was initially supposed to interact a lot more with TNG at the start before Piller decided to have it stand on its own starting with the second season. Had they decided not to do any crossovers in the first season, it could have been set in a different century. VOYAGER could have easily been set during any era, since it took place in the other side of the galaxy.

I remember in 2001 ENT simply switching to the 22nd century felt like the freshest thing the franchise ever did at the time. Too bad everything else about those early seasons just felt like reheats of what TNG/DS9/VOY already did.

fireproof78 and Vger23 like this.
  11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

You are correct, sir.

[​IMG]

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. Isaac Lawrence

A quick check in on the ratings for this week, for those who may be curious, and the numbers are steady, or up, or are okay, or...

Anyway, so September 24th:

October 1st:
    And October 8th:
    The next two Thursday's are Presidential debates (if they happen).

In all, I guess there's not really much to say, it's doing normal CBS Thursday night numbers. The numbers will eventually fall, but at this point it's kind of like "whatever," the new season is here.

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Then I'm definitely watching Disco instead.

After the train wreck that was the last "debate", I'm all set with whatever the Hell that was.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched the beginning of last night's episode on CBS. The entire opening credit sequence was cut, except for the couple of seconds that had the title of the show, to make room for commercials.

RAMA likes this.
  15. Isaac Lawrence

I was going to make a political comment, but I said no, just say "if they happen" and leave it at that. :lol:
    Yeah, I noticed that.

I love that opening, it brings back the feels of The Original Series opening.

Obviously looking forward to whatever changes they make to it for this season.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Share is down, but viewers up in week 3: 1.8 million. Not bad for a 3 yr old show at 10pm.

Fittingly up in a classic episode!

RAMA

Vger23 and Quinton like this.
  17. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel like anybody watching for the first time has a decent chance of being hooked at this point now that 1x03 has been seen.

RAMA likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm glad it moved upward. It shows that DSC hooked whoever it grabbed watching it that way and they told other people about it.

RAMA likes this.
  19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I noticed some new viewers on Twitter raving about the show. So it's a net overall gain in audience for cbsaa in my opinion.

Lord Garth likes this.
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Strange New Worlds will largely get a pass because the changes have already been made to the look of the universe. We've talked about the changes, pro and con, and have moved on.