Complaints (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by JRoss, Dec 22, 2015.

1. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh. It was a short punchline that didn't lead to anything other than a chuckle. If they had a scene with Han throwing her in and gleefully smashing her, I'd agree.

Carrie Fisher is a big girl. She can handle it.

I noticed her face seemed rather stiff as well. I figured she either had plastic surgery, did too many drugs, had a nerve condition, or it was simply due to age. In any event, I feel a great deal of sympathy for her. She's a classy person who has had some rotten things happen to her.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't care much for the blasé way they just tossed together the plan to destroy the multi planet killer/sun eater thing. It was plain silly how little effort they put into it.

However, it doesn't bite against the grain of the movie much, considering that's how much of the film plays out, like how finding Luke, who in this crisis is apparently their "only hope", hinges on a small bit of data inexplicably in BB-8, which is ultimately useless until R2 inexplicably decides to come back online after decades. I'm assuming Poe was trying to get the BB-8 info to the resistance, but where did it come from? Or did I miss that?

Mostly though, I just can't buy Finn being able to wield the light saber against Ren at all, without doing himself harm. The notion that just anyone can use them, makes them less impressive to me. Why would only Jedi use them, unless it was too difficult or dangerous to use without Force rendered control over it & oneself? & unless Finn is using the Force, shouldn't Ren, a guy who can stop blaster bolts, just be able pull it right out of his hand or do other dastardly things with it? What's stopping him, unless his opponent also is using the Force?

3. TremblingBluStar

Yes. I agree. They should have disabled it, not completely destroyed the planet. It makes the bad guys look incompetent. I can understand the Empire being arrogant and not defending their weak spots, but having it happen four times in seven films (including the flying through the shields and into the reactor scene from ep I) is ridiculous.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I actually felt like Harrison Ford got more digital smoothing in some scenes.

There was a distinct credit for a CGI or Digital Makeup person, so...

5. TremblingBluStar

I didn't notice any smoothing on Ford. As for the credited person, that might have been to remove things like pimples and blemishes from closeups. I dunno.

Did anybody else find the names in this movie a bit too unimaginative. I mean, Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren sound like they were created with a random word generator. The pilot character's name was so forgettable I don't remember it. As silly as the names in the originals were, they at least were memorable.

Also, Snoke. Really? I know Star Wars villain names have always been pretty silly, but Snoke? Was Cobro too obvious? How about Pieson, or Plone Crosh!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. Mojochi

Then they needed to do more work on Mark Hamill. lol

Honestly, they all looked fairly well similar to how they currently look, forgiving some movie makeup & lighting, imho

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Basically.

You're supposed to be distracted by Carrie Fisher...she's beautiful!

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

We did see another Stormtrooper wield a melee weapon. We can assume it's part of their training.

As for why he doesn't force pull, push, or catch everything, it'll just make him unstoppable. Hell, why send out tie fighters when Ren could just smack the X-wings out of the sky?

9. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

It's called aging. Happens to men, too although people tend to comment on that less.

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, unlike Tarkin, Hux sent out all the fighters to fight the X-wings.

11. Mojochi

Yet, another character has to explain to him it's even a weapon at all, & the other melee weapon doesn't bear the same potential risks as a sword length, openly bare laser

Plus, Ren WAS unstoppable to Finn, so in this one instance it wouldv'e made more sense to just show the understood reality of what a Force user can do against someone who isn't, instead of really diminishing their villain's potency.

I think the only thing about Carrie Fisher that is off putting is that either because of too many cosmetic surgeries, her history of drug abuse, or a combo of both, her voice seems kind of slurred, under a face that seems nerve damaged somehow.

BTW, was any reason given as to why 3CPO had a red arm, beyond giving him something to say?

12. TremblingBluStar

Ah, yes. Because nobody notices when a man is going bald, much less comments on it.

13. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Leia is a general of what I believe to be basically a guerilla outfit. That's a very hands on role that might see her caught in explosions and surprise attacks and so on. As a veteran guerilla leader you'd expect her to be brutalised and scarred in various ways perhaps requiring reconstructive surgery on occasion. Not that I think she looked bad at all! It clearly is the RL surgery that makes her face look a little stiff. But in-universe it's very plausible that she would look and sound like that.

Fisher played her very well. She played it tight with that role. No clowning around, just effective acting. No overly smaltzy scenes with Solo either. Just two very, very troubled parents.

I've no real complaints per say. I do have niggles. Rey's ability to influence the stormtropper just came across as hokey. Yeah, sure there's many in-universe explanations for this but it just come across like one of the more cornier James Bond escapes. I was also looking forward to some climatic scene where they deliver Rey to Snoke with some sort of grand stand off between the two. But they went in different directions with that.

Another niggle is the way Ren takes off his helmet regularly. I had actually assumed Vader wore his mask because some environmental issue or something of that sort. That there was some kind of necessity to the mask. But apparently there isn't.

Also I would've put more work in creating better names than "Rey" and "Ren". They sound too similar and could be fertile ground for some unnecessary confusion.

None of my niggles detain me in any real way and I enjoyed the film. Even the return of the robots wasn't overdone which was something I did fear would happen with this film.

So good stuff. :techman:

14. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL! Exactly. Women are the worst when it comes to commenting on a guys baldness or impending baldness.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

I know Craig was in it as an extra. Didn't know it was that scene.

:eek:

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Vader's mask was out of necessity as part of his life-support armor.

But Ren is not Vader. His mask/helmet was just combat gear, like all the stormtroopers' helmets.

Kor

18. Mojochi

I actually kind of like that explanation. It could've been neat had they played that a bit. I just kept thinking about Fisher's real life issues during her performance, even though she was still giving a good one
    Vader's whole suit is a necessary environment, I believe. The breathing was kind of a dead giveaway after a while. This is a guy who is literally using the force to even function at this point. Ren on the other hand, just some gear, & when you think about it, they are in space
    All the names are kind of dumb, but that's damn near a Star Wars staple

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, makes sense since mostly women are attracted to men. Besides, there's been plenty of bald or balding men throughout TV/movie history who've been deemed sexy by women because, usually, their attraction is a bit beyond the physical minutiae.

20. TremblingBluStar

I want to know how me maintained such a voluminous, silky smooth hair style while wearing a helmet.