Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Don't see why not.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still just see the redshirts of TOS as security guards, nothing more. A security guard is not the same thing as a soldier or marine. Expecting the redshirts - or, in this time frame, the 'grayshirts' - to also be troops would be like taking a guard from a bank vault and sending him to Afghanistan.

3. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Not really the same thing at all. They may be "just security," whatever that means, but they are still Starfleet Officers and trained soldiers. It would be like saying that just because a Naval Officer works primarily as a security officer that they are the equivalent to a bank guard, which is insulting and wrong.

4. Christopher

^Eliyahu's right. I don't agree that it's an insult to say that someone isn't in the military, but it's certainly inaccurate to compare trained naval personnel specializing in security to civilians employed in the security profession.

Besides, we've got nearly 50 years of canon confirming that Starfleet's ship crews do handle all the Federation's military needs when they need to. The closest thing we've ever seen to a separate military force are the differently-uniformed ground troops in DS9's "Nor the Battle to the Strong," but their colors and pips matched those of Starfleet, suggesting they were just specialized uniforms for that particular assignment.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw the sketch Christopher and absolutely love it. Rise of the Federation continues to remain my most anticipated Trek book of the year, so I can't wait for next week.

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got mine preordered so looking forward to it. :)

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amazon Canada already has stock in...so looks like I'll be getting it early.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't there been references to the Starfleet Marines in either screen productions or novels? I swear I've heard that term used in universe somewhere.
    As for the uniforms, do you mean something along the lines of the undershirt from the Abramsverse? I could see that working myself.

9. Briet

Briet Lieutenant Red Shirt

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Any ideas about higher ranks - Commodore and various grades of Admiral ?

11. Briet

I have, but its up to Christopher.

12. Briet

I have, but iss up to Christopher.

13. Christopher

^I did describe the admiral's stripes in Chapter 1: "five alternating wide and narrow stripes." I assume that, as with the captain's stripes, the wide ones are on the outside, so it'd be wide, narrow, wide, narrow, wide.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Are there Commodores, Rear Admirals and Vice Admirals in Starfleet in this era, with combinations of wide and narrow stripes ?

15. Christopher

^I didn't work it out in that much detail.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'll leave it with you - I'm sure you'll have a few minutes spare sooner or later....;)

17. Mr. Laser Beam

No, I mean a full uniform in the same style as we're used to seeing in TOS (the ones in green, blue and red) just in black. So the SFMC as I envision them would wear a black uniform over that very same black undershirt.

18. Christopher

I agree with the others -- black is just too "sinister" a color for Starfleet. And it's not really a good camouflage color (though, admittedly, neither is red).

19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^It'd be cool if their 'jersey' matched mission parameters. Camo, or white, or black. Whatever is best for the mission...

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Black may be a bit sinister, but in this case, it probably SHOULD be. :evil: