• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Christmas episodes?

  • Thread starter Laura Cynthia Chambers
  • Start date
I found this on Facebook:

577036876-1812463763028584-8426470851708312536-n.jpg
 
How could they forget the classic Star Trek remake of "A Christmas Carol"?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
 
Alas, the stardate calculation used by the Wolf 359 Project fanfiction dates the destruction of the U.S.S. Lalo in TNG - "The Best of Both Worlds" to Sunday 25 December 2366. Cheery!

 
This is Star Trek we are talking about. So if it were a Christmas special, Santa Claus would have to show up to the shock and surprise of the Enterprise crew, and later it turns out that he is either an alien or a computer in disguise.
 
Too bad there isn't one good Trek TV episode where Christmas is more than an event that happened offscreen, a literary allusion, a flashback, or a holodeck program, and some of the main crew characters celebrate it in some fashion.
Not something I'm particularly eager for, but if they were going to do it it feels like that should've been the intended Doctor Who crossover.
 
Not something I'm particularly eager for, but if they were going to do it it feels like that should've been the intended Doctor Who crossover.
I would not want to see what TPTB on either side of the equation would do with a Trek-Who crossover today. However, seeing the TOS crossover with OG Doctor Who? That could have been an event worth seeing!
 
I would not want to see what TPTB on either side of the equation would do with a Trek-Who crossover today. However, seeing the TOS crossover with OG Doctor Who? That could have been an event worth seeing!
I was mainly joking since Who is already in the habit of doing a Christmas special and they've attempted crossovers between the shows recently, but I think if they let Steven Moffat write it he'd knock out of the park. Though for what it's worth, he seems to feel similarly to you per a 2015 interview from https://treknews.net/2015/11/11/star-trek-doctor-who-crossover-steven-moffat/:

“If it crossed over with Star Trek, it would have to be real Star Trek,” Moffat said. “It would have to be Captain Kirk and Mr Spock. It has to be the Doctor meets Mr Spock – that’s the one you want.”

“I mean, would I do it? Yes, in a heartbeat. I think you might find the Americans a little bit trickier to deal with!”
 
As a Jew, Christmas is already so omnipresent in American culture when it comes to December that I'd much rather see Star Trek attempt something different, or at least make a strong point of acknowledging that not everyone gives a fig about Xmas. I don't trust the writers to present a balanced perspective though...and perhaps they don't trust themselves either, which is why they've stayed away from such content.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top