Chakotay/Seven - the pairing that came out of nowhere.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by HelenofBorg, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

I remember that twist ending (she was a by-product of a fertility study).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love a good love story.

Star trek has 5.

1. Odo and Kira.
    2. Trip and T'Pol.
    3. Kieko and O'Brien
    4. Worf and Dax
    5. Scotty and the Enterprise.

Kilana2, Anna Yolei and Danja like this.
  3. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Keiko and Miles? I can't imagine a more miserable relationship. Sub in Miles and Julian for #3.

MrPicard likes this.
  4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a realistic depiction of an established marriage with kids. There was zero passion or romance at the beginning though, at least on camera.

5. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, but the category was love stories.

Danja likes this.
  6. Danja

My new toy :D :

[​IMG]

Kilana2 and Athena28 like this.
  7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope on the show they finish the VFX and have her firing with the gun she's carrying in her other hand. It looks so stupid just holding it out and doing nothing with it.

8. Danja

Two more weeks until the premiere. ;)

9. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keiko seems to be miserable.

O'Brien seems duty bound, but also often miserable.

Most married couples I know at least seem to love each other.

Danja likes this.
  10. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually think Miles & Keiko are portrayed as a very loving, realistic couple... on DS9.

They're an abject nightmare on TNG. They seem to know literally nothing about each other at the time of their wedding, and it just gets worse from there.

But if you ignore that grim setup (or mentally put it in a different timeline), they're awesome on DS9. Perhaps even Trek's best couple?

11. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They have their days...

I mean episodes

Danja likes this.
  12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Chakotay himself was a decent and more sympathetic character, and if there had been some kind of build-up of friendship beforehand, then it could have been okay. But C/7 suddenly being an item in "Endgame," it didn't make any sense.

Kor

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME and Danja like this.
  13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It's been 19 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why the VOY writers did this, since it was such a contrived thing. The only logic I could come up with was that Beltran was getting a paycheck for doing essentially nothing, nobody knew what to do with the Chakotay character, and they decided to stick Seven with some guy for some reason but every other male character was an illogical choice. (Well, Chakotay was an illogical choice too, being old enough to be her father and that they had zero chemistry or even interaction for the entire series.) So they wrote some scenes for Chuckles so he could actually do some work, but they essentially made him a creepy old man.

Either that, or the writers were just smoking a lot of weed.

14. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both theories are valid too! :whistle::D

15. Guy Gardener

One of the guys who wrote that episode, was sleeping with Jeri Ryan twice a month.

Brannon over shared.

It's not his worst crime.

Anna Yolei and Danja like this.
  16. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is a LOT more civil than I thought it would be, to be honest :lol:

I've heard a lot of rumors over the years as to why this got written into the show, from Beltran's increasing dissatisfaction at the writing he'd received to Braga's ego to one of the writers who felt gypped for not being brought on for Enterprise deciding to give fans a final fuck you on the way out for Berman and Braga to clean up (little could he have predicted This Ain't the Valentine! ;) )

Personally, I don't give a shit about the couple either way, and the writing left much to be desired. However, the take that "chuckles is too old!" from certain parts of fandom thoughout the years is laughably hypocritical. Janeway's not "too old"? Harry Kim is ok despite Seven being "still a child"? The Doc is more complicated, but if people didn't know he were a Hologram, he'd be "too old" too.

:shrug:

(Also, I post on Tumblr where I've had this debate taken to some ridiculous extremes [in other fandoms, not Trek thankfully] in the last few years and I'm just not here for any of it in regards to legal adults who are capable of making decisions for themselves. :shrug: )

Kor likes this.
  17. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

"being old enough to be her father" or "a creepy old man" ??? Really? I don`t think so.
    Beltran during his time on Voyager

Anna Yolei likes this.
  18. Guy Gardener

You're not the creepy man if you're the one who has to predate the HR forms that allows the lady to fornicate with your holographic likeness, to keep her out of the brig and off a predator list.

PS.

Neelix is Voyager's HR Department.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You’re entitled to your opinion as I’m entitled to mine. And my opinion was that it was a supremely stupid and awkward idea that was dreamed up by some dumb writers who were probably smoking some crack.

Danja likes this.
  20. PatB1974

PatB1974 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I wish they had developed Chakotay more in Voyager. He was a great character. I have always admired strong, but kindhearted male heroes. I think he would have been good for Seven. She could have learned a lot about human relationships with a man that would NEVER hurt her.

cosmic mouse likes this.