CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaminhon

Zaminhon Captain Captain

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Maybe they'll nuke all the fan films from orbit. It is the only way to be sure. :eek:

3. SuperSpaceMan

SuperSpaceMan Captain Captain

I would say, your Fan Group, Kickstarter donor count, and the Indigogo donor count represent almost 7K of the same people... (and I would be willing to venture those 7k also like the Axanar page) so take 7kX4 (28K) out of that figure...

4. BillJ

I wonder if they'll be sued as well for copyright infringement? You would have thought they'd touch base with an IP lawyer or CBS?

5. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Of course. :)

6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Hahaha ... from the Axanar Fan Group:

[​IMG]

(I deleted my original tweet because I was fussing with the actual image size to be compliant with BBS rules. Apologizes.)

8. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

No doubt - just trying to err on the generous side, and they still come out ... small.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Any examples?

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is moving so fast its hard to keep up!

Anyways, our support us page is the same thing as a Kickstarter or Indiegogo crowdfunding page. You donate, you get the perks at that reward level. CBS is allowing crowdfunding (for now anyways), this is no different. All money donated goes towards out next production, in this case "The Requiem" .

We have been raising money this way for over 3 years (Pilot etc..) and it has need been a problem.

11. BillJ

This is nonsense. People really are deluded.

12. SuperSpaceMan

SuperSpaceMan Captain Captain

Here is a novel Idea.... *IF* you wanna do something big and bold, and splashy, do an original work, and don't get pissed off if you decide to do derivative work, and someone comes back later and kicks you out of their sandbox.....

Axanar as a story didn't have to be set in Star Trek Universe, or use CBS IP.... it could have all been original.. the problem is creating your own work is hard, and difficult, and Peters wouldn't have gotten the financial support he received, using someone else's IP....

Hence the problem...

13. BillJ

But what happens to the money that is beyond what you need or is donated after whatever cut off you have to set your budget? Has CBS given any guidance as far as that is concerned?

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

#BoycottStarTrek

Yeah, good luck with that. :lol:

15. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, yeah. What drew me into Axanar was the look they were going for and more importantly the great cast they had lined up.

16. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

I hope not, I like most of the fan films so far, be a shame to loose them due to one small group of folks being petty.

If when the smoke clears from all this & that is what happens, you can bet the blame will end up on the wrong people.

As far as the fandom goes we should lay the blame on the folks who ran Axanar, if this whole thing goes down due to them.

However I can also see a lot of fan productions tossing in the towel before even starting seeing what's going on right now.

17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Want to see more delusion, search that hashtag on Twitter or #IStandWithAxanar or #BoycottStarTrekBeyond.

Although I like what David Mack has to say on the subject: https://twitter.com/DavidAlanMack/status/682629411166879748

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

What's most hilarious about this threat is that many of these fans made a big deal in the comments on that article on The Wrap and elsewhere several months ago that they weren't going to see Star Trek Beyond anyways.

For a boycott to work, it's helpful to have actual leverage!

19. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Knowing the Mouses compulsive shopping habit Disney will own the lot in 20 years! ;)

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice that they have Tony Todd's character headlining an offering considering the actor just said on twitter he left the production 4 months ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.