CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Agreed. But the Pro-Axanar crowd is holding that same SWFF up as a comparison to Axanar. "WHY WON'T DISNEY SUE THESE GUYS?!?!"

Because they're so similar? I'm 95% sure that they have no idea about what the suit is actually about nor do they know what other fan films actually are.

2. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A long run time (2 hours) may make the situation WORSE, but a short run time certainly doesn't make it better. Brand confusion can occur with a 2 minute trailer.

Ion likes this.
  3. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw your post, brought up the YouTube, then went to iTunes to see if you have a podcast. You do, I've just Subscribed. So you or one of you is an attorney and you or the attorney has been in contact, then besmirched by the contact as an ambulance chaser, but G and T is very willing to have an on-mic interview.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    jespah likes this.
  4. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love that kind of argument. And even if Disney simply forgot to sue them that's no reason for CBS to do the same or for Axanar to go free. Life isn't "fair" always.

Albinator likes this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

All the folks complaining about no guidance from CBS, they would be the first to complain about the limitations of whatever rules were put in place by CBS.

6. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I'm not on Facebook much either. I have too many things to occupy my time as it is...

But far more accurate. :)

I actually believe that fan films should have a right to exist, but Axanar has struck me as shady from the get-go. There's a difference between politely making use of someone's else's property, and abusing that same property.

:guffaw:

This. You can argue the ethics of fan films 'til you're blue in the face, but it is never alright to use someone else's material without attribution. In the print world they call that plagiarism...

And I disagree. Infringement is infringement. The runtime only matters if the property owner says it matters (like Lucas/Disney apparently did); anything else is irrelevant.

:techman:

Kestra likes this.
  7. Albinator

Besides, if Paramount were to publicly state rules/guidelines to produce fan-films, it would be seen as tacit approval of all fan-films, which would hurt them in any disputes, legally or otherwise. It also handcuffs them if they ever decide to reverse policy, or alter policy, or go after a fan-film they find particularly offensive in any way.

Essentially, it's not a brand owner's job to tell others how to get away with copyright infringement, and its pretty damned entitled to be upset when they don't.

Can you imagine if the IRS published "A Guide To Avoiding Income Tax"?

jespah and Indysolo like this.
  8. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

It would probably be one line long. "Open a subsidiary in Ireland..."

9. ihno

Technically yes but there are always other things that influence if a law/right is enforced or not. What I meant (others have said that before) is: the right holder might simply not care about shorter films.
    Even law enforcement works like that: They use the word "petty" for that if my english is good enough.

10. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

after all is said and done and all the axanar-originated websites have been completely purged of all content that shows intent to profit or knowledge aforethought of the consequences brought on by the lawsuit or any other objectionable statement, there will be a retumentary or retcon 'making of' book idolizing the valiant effort while rewriting/omitting every trace of the specifics that undermined it all, moving that all to an isolated final chapter about the 'controversy and unresolved issues'.

Lynsioux likes this.
  11. ihno

Oh, no coffee any more?
    But what about the way back machine?

12. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

The key, though, is that the owner chooses whether or not to try to enforce it. AFAIK, it doesn't change the legality (unless you're already in "fair use" territory). Thus, my statement stands: only the owner's opinion matters.

So yeah, basically saying the same thing based on your statement above.

Now, damage awards would be a different matter entirely. There the runtime (and a whole host of other things) may well matter, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

13. BillJ

Lynsioux, Indysolo and Ion like this.
  14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ, they're laying carpet in their offices - for a production that is supposed to take 3 weeks to shoot (Please recall Mr. Peter's claim that Ares Studios is ONLY being used for the production of Axanar. Yep, it appears they REALLY care about the backer funds going ONLY towards the production - but hey, they got the carpet at cost,,,WTG Alec!):beer::ack:

Jon1701, SeerSGB and Ion like this.
  15. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Wasting donor money on new carpet for their frickin' office? Seriously?

How is it that people don't think this is in scam territory? I mean, really, it's nice to know they're busy filming and working on VFX... Oh wait...

16. ihno

Yes (but let's not forget the judge. In this case it will be no surprise but in others it might be - generally said - . )

Yupp, I think so. :)

Ion likes this.
  17. BillJ

Suckered a Star Trek fan into installing it and then made sure to toss Diana Kingsbury under the bus.

What a guy!

KennyB likes this.
  18. Albinator

That's a pretty big "might." End of the day infringement is infringement and the winds can shift as quickly as a new person is hired.

BillJ likes this.
  19. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

So Dominic Parry works for Alec directly? Interesting, considering some of the comments he has made about the "I Stand with CBS" group.

20. BillJ

I didn't even recognize the name at first. Maybe he's hoping to be a co-star at the trial as a "John Doe"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.