CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Have you not seen, oh, everything he's done and said the past month? :D

Ion likes this.
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He is already sunk. There's no indication he's even hired a lawyer at this point.

Indysolo and Ion like this.
  3. BillJ

:lol:

4. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe he reads here to get all the info? I do that. I stand up in the morning, read here till I'm up to date and then it's almost bedtime again. 5000 posts in almost three weeks.

Wetworth and Ion like this.
  5. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

It only takes one.

Further, it only matters that CBS thinks that there was at least one.

If you search for 'Star Trek Tim Russ' you get -- surprise -- lots of Renegades stuff.

For the average Joe, it's not clear from their web site that this is a fan production. Fan-supported yes, but unsanctioned? That isn't as obvious. Whether CBS cares or not is another question, and one we can't really answer just yet. Not enough info, and we can't even assume that the results of the Axanar action will be all that telling as to CBS's motivation, though I do hope it is.

This is kinda like the OJ trial was for my folks, and the SCOvIBM trial in the tech world not so long ago. Color me interested. :p

Gotta ask -- why even bother even trying to talk to the man? I mean, it's not like the result isn't a foregone conclusion. :)

6. Earthrise

Earthrise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tell me about it. I'm going to be away from my computer for a couple of days and I'm dreading the backlog when I return. (Especially since those couple of days are right around the time Axanar has to respond to CBS.) :)

Ion likes this.
  7. BillJ

Entertainment value.

KennyB and Ion like this.
  8. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I already wrote it somewhere else. Like lt. Galway from TOS "The deadly years" "I don't want to go to bed, Cpt. How many posts will there be when I wake up?"

(Please play the sad Commodore Decker TOS music here).

jespah likes this.
  9. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Do tell! Self representation, I'm guessing? Or maybe representation by his in-house counsel (and again, helluva way to lose your first case!)...

Heh - I have much the same problem. Wouldn't be so bad if Multi-Quote was more reliably multi-page.

To each their own, I guess, but you could at least share! :devil:

10. BillJ

Not sure it is fair to share his emails since he isn't here to defend himself.

But I can post the last email I sent him...

I never got a response about this email.

Ion likes this.
  11. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Funnily - so did everyone else. There were a lot of scenario's where people I worked with or rivals told me I was making a mistake on more than one occasion - and each time someone told me something would go over the heads of the poor simpletons lining up outside, that was the most popular part of the show.

In my field it became habitual to write as if everyone watching needed things explained to them like a two year old. Breaking that habit was the single best thing I ever did for my audience. Though any more on that and I'll be so far from the topic I may as well be in Minsk! :p

....this is pretty much a case of Re: previous posts. I typed that and then realised it may sound rude, which isn't my intention. But I'd have severe doubts that someone looking to watch the new Star Trek show that's all exclusive to All Access (and that will be all over the marketing!) will think they've found it on YouTube or that'd they'd watch it and believe it was the real deal.

That bugs me. But the most average of Joe's I know saw it and PM'ed me on Facebook asking "when did Star Trek get a tribute show?" - and this is a guy who when I first met him was convinced I would do a small production in a town no ones heard of then get a flight back home to Florida because all the 'stars' lived in the US :p

Maybe it all comes down to perspective - in my line of work(s? May be plural as I do more than one job) I've gained a huge respect for the audience. Probably best to shrug it off, disagree and move on to the important reason we're all rambling in the first place...

Alec Peters is in the wrong. And that we can't debate :p

And now I really, really want to email him and ask for an interview (I know e's reading: Alec, up for it?)

Ion likes this.
  12. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I don't know if you've heard this but Alec is an AMAZING LAWYER!!!!!!!!! He likes to keep that quiet. He is very humble. He does not need to waste money on an attorney. :-)

gorn81 and Ion like this.
  13. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Since when does that matter? :evil:

True. As I noted a bit ago, all else is mere speculation where CBS's motivations are concerned. We won't know for quite some time on that point, if ever.

:guffaw:

KennyB likes this.
  14. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The audience, well, let me say it's less about raw intelligence as it is their impatience, or general unwillingness to put thought into things. A decent amount of viewers want quick easy entertainment. Online access has made this problem worse: they want that instant gratification, their patience is next to nothing.

Of course, each audience is different, and all of this is far more nuanced than the way both of us are distilling things down to.

I don't think it's a significant problem, no, but it could be a concern, particularly with CBS All Access being something completely new. I've been trying to beat around the bush because I don't want to be rude, but the fact is that a large portion of the diehard Trek audience-- an audience i'm sure they're counting on showing up-- are over 65, and perhaps less savvy with mobile/digital/online content. I've seen more than a few seniors bewildered by online shows, or web series' and not quite "get it."

[
    Well you ALWAYS have to respect your audience. Even if you acknowledge less-desirable traits, you have to respect them, or it all falls apart.

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

16. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is "lookinf for someone to take us for free" code for "eating sushi, screwing over our own fans and yelling like childish brats"?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

^^The gift that keeps on giving.

18. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

It is indeed! Half the reason I'm restraining from replying to the first part as this is more the kind of chat I'd have over a pint and if I kept going, I'd be here all night and we'd talk to the point of boring other people hah!

If this comes up in the Future forum though (including age rnages within the audience!) I'll be right in there.

Thankfully for mods I'm more sensible and less likely to derail threads now than I was before I disappeared from the board ;)

Albinator likes this.
  19. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw:

Isn't it just? :lol:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking for I Star With Axanar pages on Facebook, and I found 2, I Stand with Axanar with 559 members, and We Stand With (-Axanar-) 837 member, and I have a feeling there's probably a bit of overlap there. It is alot more than the I Stand With CBS page, which only has 238 members, but it's still not the kind of numbers you would expect with the way the Axanar fans and Peters talk. Even if everyone of the members of the Axanar groups was a unique indvidual, it's still only 1396 people, which is not even a fraction of the number of people it would take for CBS to actually care what they think. So I just say go ahead and let them boycott Beyond, and talk all the shit they want, because CBS is never going to care what they think or do.

Shaka Zulu, jespah and KennyB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.