CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

Perhaps the hope now is they get so much publicity that the broader fan base will take notice -- push enough sets to shininess so the PR visuals can be good and it looks like something big was stopped when the injunction inevitably drops. Until some smart reporter calls it the USS CookieJar.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've asked that question and no one at Axanar has responded. :lol:

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Heard from Skip...

Indysolo likes this.
  4. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

*personal* security ?????

5. BillJ

That sucks.

But I thought reporting on a story and giving one's opinion would be protected by the First Amendment?

Ion and Indysolo like this.
  6. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've seen many concerns early on (up to page 45) about Para/CBS being "forced" to take action against other productions because Axanar will pull the "well we were only doing what others were doing" defense.

Just want to point out-- and maybe it has been said in the 200(!) pages since-- that this defense does not force CBS/Para to do ANYTHING because enforcement of copyright infringement is at their sole discretion. Axanar can scream unfair treatment all they want but it's no defense. I know this from first-hand experience working at major firms and having lengthy discussions with IP attorneys.

To me, that "Continues" released a new episode just the other day with no issues speaks volumes. I don't think this will affect anyone but Axanar in terms of legal fallout.

At worst, they may be told to not do fan-films anymore with Trek coming back to "TV"-- and at best, they'll finally publicly establish clear cut rules for future fan films.

Ion likes this.
  7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

That's too bad. I enjoyed his analytical perspective to the matter.

It is.

wtriker1701 and Indysolo like this.
  8. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you have a link to that? I've looked in Capt's Log and Blog but am not finding the mentioned call out on Oliva.

9. SuperSpaceMan

SuperSpaceMan Captain Captain

He didn't mention him by name but as the ip expert who said AXanar couldn't get pro bono representation...

10. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Y'know, I think that might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me!

And now I need a sock puppet... They sound all cute and cuddly...

Yeah, actually picked up a player at Costco a few days ago. I guess now I'll need to order BD copies of the movies. I already have TOS, but that's it in the Trek world on Blu. Hell, I only have ST:09 and ST:ID on iTunes.

I can already feel my next paycheck starting to slip away... :sigh:

First, welcome, at least as far as another newbie has any right to welcome you :)

Second, I actually stopped to think about this. I can't figure out how someone sane can argue Axanar's side. The closest I can see is a fair use defense, but while it would be awesome for fan{fic,film} authors everywhere, I just don't see it succeeding. Any other road has Axanar in the wrong as far as I can tell.

That Alec then proceeds to be a colossal twit about the whole thing then cuts most of his sane support away. We might support tilting at windmills if the cause is good enough, but only if we're willing to attach our reputations.

Even assuming Alec had a point (which I don't think he does), I wouldn't be willing to hang my reputation from his standard.

Shit, that's illegal! Someone patented sane conversation on the Internet back in '94! Someone say something stupid before we all get sued!

:rofl:

Could be he got a bit more traffic than he wanted, or that someone was messing with him and he had to take it down for some reason. Or maybe someone torched his site and he had to restore from backup; I wouldn't put it past the more rabid Axanads to do a bit of hacking.

Either way, I'll echo @Karzak -- I hope nothing happened. That blog truly has been worth reading.

Depends. They apprently just sent a C&D to this guy. Discussion here.

This might be an oddity, but I don't know. Each new C&D they send out paints the picture that much darker. We can only hope that they just don't have the same tolerance for board/computer games that they do for the fan films, and that this therefore means nothing.

11. BillJ

Pick up the older release of the films if available. There's a new release coming that is pretty much the same as the 2009 release.

Ion likes this.
  12. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every C&D is different. It's likely unrelated, but FASA is a whole can of worms itself. Ownership has changed hands so many times in so many complicated ways, and some of the marks and copyrights they hold/held are often still under dispute.

Ion likes this.
  13. Lior .B.

Lior .B. Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if using established characters from Enterprise may pushed CBS to take actions.. Someone may believe it is was approved by CBS..

14. BillJ

CBS owns it all, including Garth.

This is about them turning Axanar into their personal piggy bank.

Ion likes this.
  15. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

You can only put so much spin on something. The media could make it to be David v. Goliath, but there has to be at least some story there that the average person will take Axanar's side on. I'm guessing the Average person will probably see the theft for what it is.

Did he say what actually happened? The tone of that mail sounded like he had some kind of bad experience. :(

What's the difference with the 2009 release? I've not followed the media offerings closely enough to know. At the moment I have TOS on Blu, the TOS movies on DVD, all of the movies on iTunes, and TNG & DS9 on DVD. If there's something I'm missing out on, I wanna know! :)

Yeah, the mention of FASA does raise flags that there's some other reasoning there, but I'm not sufficiently versed in the history to know enough to say what the motivation could be or what impact it might have. :)

16. BillJ

Just that the 2009 release is likely to be cheaper, since it is being replaced with a new release. There haven't been any upgrades for the new release.

Ion likes this.
  17. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah. Found it. Thx again. :bolian: And I wish I could 'comprehend' the How To instructions for that nifty Wayback Archive; both to archive 'and' to search for archived material. :) Pretty cool, it is.

18. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first part of your paragraph: I don't know that, and you CERTAINLY don't know that.
    As to the second part: feel free to educate me on how ''the business'' is so different from how it used to be run a couple of décades ago, apart from studio heads being run by corporations, lawyers and accountants now as opposed to former filmmakers and producers being promoted to the top back in the 60s and 70s. The consequences of that are readily apparent. I think Gerrold is smart enough to have figured that out.
    As it is, this comment is just you pulling it out of your you-know-what.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That's all he said. But it sounds like an over-zealous Axanerd threatened him.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's certainly quite possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.