CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

Don't stress that... new people show up, a summary will interest them or not and they will get to see the comments on new issues as they happen.

Sure the new readers won't appreciate the hundred (literally) weird statements and business-defeating strategies that have emanated from Axanar, but chances are decent they will see more and get the point.

Axanar is still violating the law calling itself nonprofit in California, for example, even after they say they have gotten their act together and know all the laws and are conforming. Maybe they know better, but all in all this seems like just plain stubbornness to stick to manipulation of donors. So whatever has driven the events up to this point will probably unfortunately continue.

And there's always Axamonitor.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    wtriker1701 and dmac like this.
  2. muCephi

Yea, all that can be said is the quantum-handwaveform will collapse into values if any government agency intervenes or anyone with real bucks comes along and wants to run a more upfront operation.

Funny thing about google, axamonitor will keep popping up :guffaw:

Except that according to the corporation papers he his the 100% owner. So maybe after a buyout, they won't care. But then donors may.

Do you mean are assets stashed or was everything spent on sushi? Given the floating numbers you mention from Prelude to Taxanar, one could wonder.

jespah and wtriker1701 like this.
  3. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

You meant Elude from Taxanar, didn't you?

Mr. Nova, GeorgeKirk, jespah and 3 others like this.
  4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, he's never going away. :lol:

dmac likes this.
  5. muCephi

...like knaves upon the firmament.

cultcross, Reilly, jespah and 2 others like this.
  6. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very little of the $1.5 million was listed as spent on tangible assets, so if his goal was a film studio and all the donor money went to rent and services, it was a horrible plan. When I first saw kickstarters come on the scene I started questioning how long it would be until someone raised $200 - $300 hundred thousand, purchased a property, film, lighting, sets, sound systems and then produced a film. Maybe they repeat this two or three times making a semi credible product mainly with volunteer talent. Donors got what they donated to, the product was completed for better or worse and who is going to complain after 3 or 4 films when the key principle decides to hang it up?
    Before the Axanar event I don't remember donors concerned about the cash flow, the pay off was the successful completion of the project.
    There are places in this county where one could purchase the warehouse fly and board all the known actors to for a week of filming and still outright own (save property taxes, utilities) the whole kit and caboodle afterwards.
    You might even run into this "Key Principle" months latter and discover they are working on making local commercials, film school or whatever and wish them good luck never giving it a second thought.

wtriker1701 and muCephi like this.
  7. muCephi

But then it wouldn't be a *Hollywood* studio/school :wah:

dmac likes this.
  8. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is the other flaw.

9. muCephi

Just in case anyone does their $5 donation to the new Indiegogo Axanar project, here is a page Axanar can't delete, that has the relevant scope and claims of their prior Indiegogo campaign:
    https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/20...st-studio-quality-independent-star-trek-film/

and this one quotes the joint statement from the studios about the admission of overstepping, and Alec's statement at the time that the agreement precludes any crowsourced fundraising for Axanar (which would be relevant if they try to reference it in the new fundraiser):
    https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/20...s-copyright-lawsuit-settlement-paramount-cbs/

And of course the axamonitor page:
    http://axamonitor.com/doku.php?id=axanar_indiegogo_details

New Indiegogo donors might want to reflect on how honest the prior campaign appears now, when viewed in light of the money gone and the lawsuit they lost insofar as admitting copyright overstepping and having to conform to guidelines and be nothing more than a fan film. Shouldn't they have been able to conserve so much money? Shouldn't they have known better than to so grossly overstep into being "professional independent Star Trek" under the goodwill terms held open for fan films?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    wtriker1701 and jespah like this.
  10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Like a cancer, the guy just keeps coming back......

11. Reilly

Reilly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very intrigued to see the details of the campaign today (assuming it does launch as promised). From watching the leaked pitch video I really have to question how they're going to justify this. Will donors get automatic access to any of the films given free use of the studio? It's hard to see the point in investing for someone like myself (not that I would anyway. Fool me twice and all that).

And I think @dmac is right on the money above. If Alec had rented the warehouse and spent the bare minimum converting it and funnelled most of the money into getting the Axanar film made as promised, I don't think anyone would be complaining about him still having his studio at the end of it.

wtriker1701, RedForman and dmac like this.
  12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Time to wrap themselves in the flag of fandom because - seriously - who's gonna inveigh upon their friends to send more money to make Axanar itself?

wtriker1701 and Jedi_Master like this.
  13. KennyB

It is LIVE! Smh..........

dmac likes this.
  14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does this guy have no shame. So, let me get this right; the campaign is for $ 60K and it cost $18K a month (sure it does) to run the place and keep the doors open. So if he makes his goal, that will cover only a little over 3 months of expenses so are we going to keep seeing these fund-raisers every 3 months?

I will be surprised if this campaign even comes close to meeting the goal. I look forward to the day when AP fades away; never to be heard from again.

wtriker1701, Firebird and dmac like this.
  15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I filed the following report on the Indegogo site (I'd be surprised if they do anything as I'm sure the folks at Indegogo are already aware, but who knows):

wtriker1701, jespah, Firebird and 2 others like this.
  16. KennyB

No he has no shame.
    There's already 30 suckers in for over 2,000 in just a few hours so never underestimate the willingness of people to throw their money away.

wtriker1701 and dmac like this.
  17. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Let me see if I got this straight-
    AP creates a for profit studio using money donated to his planned not for profit film project. The are is glutted with similar studios (built professionally with soundproofing), which he can rent space for his film relatively cheaply but he wants his own studio. While his studio may not have soundproofing, it does have plush offices and state of the art phone equipment.
    Post CBS/P lawsuit he has determined that his for profit studio cannot turn a profit, but need a cash infusion from additional donations each month just to keep the lights on.
    As a nice gesture, he will make the studio available to other independent fan film projects also- ironically those projects which have been either canceled or turned upside down due to the results of his own actions which caused the CBS/P lawsuit in the first place.

is that a fair summery?

wtriker1701, jespah and dmac like this.
  18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

And basically they are still using Star Trek to raise money....

wtriker1701, KennyB and dmac like this.
  20. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

"This is your chance to help us go five consecutive years without an actual job."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.