CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Wait, doesn't Lane work with Axanar? Since he is an "employee" of Axanar, or even a "volunteer", couldn't the plaintiff (or the court for that matter) argue that, as an employee/volunteer, he represents Axanar, and thus that money is attached?

wtriker1701 and KennyB like this.
  2. ThankYouGeneR

ThankYouGeneR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

(bolding = mine)

First: "I wasn't supposed to tell you that."
    Uh, and you did? Publicly? And you are a friend of the defendant? The one who writes the blog he deems the only accurate reporting of 'this whole thing'? And you weren't suppose to tell us that he's nearly out of money?

Okay, I'm calling bs on that statement. A friend would 'not' out a friend with nothing at all leading you as a friend to be confident this is exactly what the friend wants you to do.

Second: Clever, this new money, being funneled into caring for the defendant and his production, that may be protected from lawsuit attachment. Clever.

Tricksy. Veddy tricksy.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Lynsioux likes this.
  3. oswriter

oswriter Captain Captain

If it was actually this easy to raise funds to avoid creditor judgments, everyone would do it. I suspect this Lane fellow may be acting on some bad advice.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

By his own admission, yes Lane worked for Axanar stuffing envelopes for perk fulfillment.

5. ThankYouGeneR

And so begins the introduction of another thread into the tapestry of 'this whole thing'.

wtriker1701 and Search4 like this.
  6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not separating the two things again. Didn't we decide that Axanar wasn't paying salaries, thus Alec did nothing wrong? Now he's asking people to pay their salaries. And is Axanar now paying rent to the shadow cabal that bought out the studio? (maybe on paper, but no way in reality). So is the salary money going to the for-profit group that bought the studio? which has hired the Axanar people to run it, but it's totally unrelated and not part of the lawsuit?

Thought the point of the fake sale was to break the two things apart? This seems like it's making it too obvious that it was bullshit...

7. oswriter

oswriter Captain Captain

Well, okay, here's what Lane actually says:
    So this isn't creating some separate fund that the studios can't reach. Sounds to me like he's just trying to raise cash to funnel into AP's pocket to pay for personal expenses until Doomsday hits.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's my read on it too. It's not about getting (a version of) Axanar made after the verdict, it's using Axanar to milk people for money to keep Alec himself afloat.

9. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Putting aside the fact that the practical need might well be true, it almost feels like a ploy to prepare the Axatards for the news that they can't be refunded. On the other hand it feels like a misstep that might start the complaints trickling in.

wtriker1701 and jespah like this.
  10. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I see that it's already been up 4 days and no donations. ROFL

I'd also be curious to know how Lane has arrived at the figure of $45k.

11. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's see...
    $1.5 million dollars - (one 22 minute green screen + requirement for emergency funding of $45,000) = Hey dude that was one hell of a party!

wtriker1701 and Ion like this.
  13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

15k a month in rent, he claimed in a blog comment, and I guess keeping it going till the end of Jan. 2017

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

GoFundMe won't let me donate 2 cents. :(

15. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

That's still only $360,000 from the announcement of AreValkyIndustry Studios. From the 1.2 Million estimate (which I believe has went to 1.4?) that still leaves $840,000 spent. But he also rented the studio out for that other production and did Propworx shenanigans in there. So thats $840,000 plus the other revenue....

....surely carpets don't cost that much? :/

wtriker1701 likes this.
  16. oswriter

oswriter Captain Captain

[​IMG]

17. ThankYouGeneR

Okay.... so confuse me a minute while I try to follow this:
    ^^^So, yeah, has not the we'llnevertell investor group reimbursed the full amount of the build-out? Therefore by de facto the new crowdfund is to cover the rent for the now for-profit 'and entirely separate' investor group?

..to cover the expenses of keeping the new for-profit entirely separate investor group industry going until the defendant gets out from under the lawsuit.

Which does not compute to me. The we'llnevertell investor group has reimbursed all build-out monies to the production. The production's funds are publicly stated to be safe in an escrow account. The production company (now existing only on paper) in litigation now has no rent or expenses to pay because as far as the physical studio is concerned.... it now belongs to the for-profit business group. Right?

The new for-profit production company is totally free to commence its for-profit productions isn't it? Isn't it doing so?

So the new crowdfund is for paying for the new for-profit production company's rent & expenses? Until the completely-unrelated-or-attached-to-the-new-for-profit-company..... person & production company in litigation's case comes to conclusion?

I am finding no way to reconcile...:
    "Whatever moneys are collected here (after fees to GoFundMe) will be donated to AXANAR PRODUCTIONS. Period. No money spent on manufacturing or mailing out perks. Just our money going directly, dollar for hopeful dollar, into keeping the studio open long enough for this case to reach a verdict."
    ....with:
    -Why does the new for-profit studio 'need' help in keeping It's studio open when it can be making all kinds of money by itself with no restrictions?
    -Why is Mr. Lane saying Axanar Productions needs to keep the studio open long enough for the case to reach a verdict when that studio does not belong to Axanar Productions anymore?

Has Axanar Productions been reimbursed the $250,000 build-out or not?
    Is the $250,000 all that's left of the ST crowdfunded money or not?
    Is the entire amount left from the ST crowdfunded money along with the $250,000 re-imbursed build-out sitting in an escrow account or not?
    Does the new for-profit investor company now fully own the lease and physical sets previously held by Axanar Productions or not?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  18. muCephi

muCephi Commodore Commodore

Alec has really put 150k of his own money into the project? Is he claiming any ownership of any assets of Axanar Productions in exchange for this money, or did he officially donate it without any equity in return? Is the studio holding company carrying equity on its books for part or all of this money?

150k purely donated to operations without any claims is a real thing. Taking equity out is essentially a loan or investment.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think someone is finding out a rental space might be not as profitable as one thought.
    Didn't someone recently rent it?
    And why would anyone DONATE to a FOR profit business?

Karzak likes this.
  20. Ion

Ion Commander Red Shirt

Where was that stated? I must've missed it.

To play devil's advocate, if that is true, then it could be the source of Alec's current (apparent) penniless state. If he can't access the money in escrow, then he can't pay the bills.

I'll leave all the investor group shenanigans aside; I always saw that as little more than an attempt to shield assets in any event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.