CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar 2 - Electric Boogaloo-Fanboys gone WILD-too many hyphens

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by jespah, May 10, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy pie?

1. Yes, sweet, please

79 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Yes, savory, please

42 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Yes, any kind

77 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. No, I'm a heathen

36 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG! Commander Red Shirt

You don't have to imagine. He live streams on a semi-regular basis.

RedForman likes this.
  2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

But he's not attempting to act in the livestreams.

RedForman likes this.
  3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

There are so many punch lines for that straight line... :ouch:

jespah, RedForman, Search4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The people who've drank the KoolAid will not be deterred by Lane's fappery.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

They’ll join in on the fappery... in a circle of jerks.

RedForman likes this.
  6. Wetworth

Wetworth Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just stumbled upon the Interlude video on YouTube. I am shocked they managed to actually produce something! Good for them, I suppose. I wonder how much sushi it took.

But my biggest take away, and I laughed quite hard, he gives himself creative credit on the same title card as Gene Roddenberry.

[​IMG]

Can't say I've seen Gene share credit for any other Star Trek content before, but there it is.

RedForman and jackoverfull like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

It'd be more honest to have a few cards.

First card:

Based on Star Trek
    Created by Gene Roddenberry

Second one:

Inspired by "Whom Gods Destroy"
    Written by Lee Irwin and Jerry Sohl

Third one:

Inspired by The Four Years War
    Written by John A. Theisen

Fourth one:

Inspired by some stuff
    Written by Christian Gossett, Robert Meyer Burnett, Paul Jenkins, Trey McElwain, and Alec Peters

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Or the simpler:

Largely based on the works of others.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why did they use K'T'inga's instead of D7s?

They did use the impulse engines from TOS Remastered design though. Weird.

it's a hybrid kinda like the D7 seen in DS9.

11. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Still can't stand to see Klingons firing Photon Torpedoes out of the main sensor/deflector dish.

12. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Why after so many fan films do they still think that merely having a space battle and yelling technobabble is exciting? Especially when the battle is presented in such a bland and static way. I got to the end of the battle scenes and thought "Okay, that's the whole thing done." and then checked and there were still five minutes to go, most of it Alec "acting".

Let's compare it to the ST09 opening, which is actually the only Star Trek movie to open with a space battle. That whole sequence is basically a three-act short film on its own.. The first act is the Kelvin and Narada beginning to fight. The second act is Robau handing over command to George Kirk and going to the Narada. The third act is Robau's death and George's sacrifice. Each one of those acts intensifies the stakes while actually making them smaller. First, it's the whole crew is in danger, then it's George having to take command and the captain heading into certain death, and then it's George's pregnant wife. There's no fate of the Federation stuff, just a simple human story told with great energy and emotion.

What does Interlude have? Extremely boring action that I have no reason to care about. They try to raise the stakes by having Ramirez be injured, but they never explained before this point who he is or why he's important. If I hadn't seen comments here I wouldn't have even remembered that he was the admiral from Prelude. The Artemis was the more interesting ship simply because its captain had way more screen presence than Alec, but then so did the coffee cup.

And what exactly does this tell us about the larger story? Prelude was all about how Garth was this amazing leader and the Ares-class was an awesome ship. This story shows Garth heroically running away, leaving his comrades to die, and two Ares-class ships being unable to win a fight so one has to blow up. They're not doing a very good job of selling either of them. I think I'd defect to the Klingons at this point.

13. motorhead

motorhead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

had to laugh for 1.5 pages straight. you guys rock.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought "Interlude" was a neat fan film. I really like the cinematography for all of the Avalon fan films and I thought Victoria Fox's direction was good. The production values were also quite good. The acting was so-so, but it's a fan film so I'm not expecting much in that regard.

I do think the "Interlude" creators assumed you would've seen "Prelude to Axanar" and knew or remembered who Admiral Ramirez was and why he was important. Though they were pressed for time, it would've been nice to see Ramirez get injured, and also some dialogue or a scene beforehand to establish who is he is. I also wouldn't have minded a scene or some dialogue, or even the narrator setting up that the starships were coming back from a meeting.

I found that Jakande and Garth's conversations felt a little uneven to me. I wish it had been a bit more chummier so it would really drive home Jakande's loss and what that loss would mean to Garth. Alec Peters's Garth came across much more natural in the documentary scenes than in the command chair. The space action was okay, though I would've liked to see more of a fight from Starfleet ships. Also having both the Ares and Artemis a bit more trashed.

But I can be forgiving due to the time constraints they were under, and for like a ten minute fan film they did a very good job.

SITZKRIEG! likes this.
  15. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I'm so sorry I missed this! March (and about 3/4 of February) was spent cleaning out my late MIL's old apartment.

So. Much. Stuff.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry to hear that, Madame Jespah. My parents dealt with that for both of my mom's parents, and my dad's dad. It was a huge pain for them and the rest of the family trying to help sort everything. I think my mom still is for her dad.

Hang in there!

jespah and Worf factor9 like this.
  17. jespah

Oh thank you! <3

She and my FIL (also gone) were in the building for over 60 years and in that particular apartment for over 50. We brought home a ton of photos -- and we had cleaned out a bunch before we departed!

Maurice likes this.
  18. jespah

Are you lost, perhaps?

Sgt_G, urbandefault and fireproof78 like this.
  19. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe you missed my original meaning.

As in Axnar, Who gives a F*$!?

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I am told so frequently in various forums and thread, "Because Star Trek."

That's what I was told to say.

Worf factor9 likes this.