Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Vale was 23 when she enlisted in the Academy (per A Time for War, a Time for Peace), which was in 2366 (per Security). That means she's 33 when we see her in The Belly of the Beast, and 37 in Titan.

We first meet Conlon as an engineer in Interphase Book 2, and she showed up again in Cold Fusion, Enigma Ship, and Wildfire -- in the latter she plays a semi-significant role. She's made chief engineer in Breakdowns, and she's appeared regularly since.

2. Commander Cavit

Commander Cavit Vice Admiral Admiral

What would be the Trek equivalent of "Horse hockey!"?
    Someone suggested her as Vale long ago in this thread and I liked that enough to use it as a visual reference reading the Titan books. It's the dry, sardonic sense of humor, more than anything else.
    Kelly Preston's redhaired doppelganger, who I remember from General Hospital :thumbsup:

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He was pretty pompous in the role that brought him fame, Charles on M*A*S*H. (Indeed, that was the initial character brief KRAD gave me for Tev: "Charles Emerson Winchester the Tellarite.")

But as I see him, Tev isn't pompous in the grandiose, theatrical way Rhys-Davies would be, but in a more matter-of-fact, businesslike way. He's not deliberately trying to bluster or condescend; he just knows how skilled and intelligent he is, sees no reason to hide it, holds everyone else to the same perfectionistic standards he applies to himself, and lets them know when they fall short. Pomposity or deliberate condescension is an attempt to compensate for insecurity by putting others down. Tev feels no insecurity, so he doesn't have to try to sell the idea of his superiority. So to me, he's gruff and demanding and quick to disapprove of deficiencies in others, but not pompous or bombastic.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair enough-- I'm more used to Stiers from his appearances in The Dead Zone and other modern genre shows.

5. KRAD

Stiers is a good choice, and Christopher's right in that his portrayal of Winchester was the template for Tev. But as he's developed over the course of the past 30+ eBooks, he's felt more Rhys-Davies-ish to me. *shrug*

But either works, yeah. :)

(Geez, Tev's now been part of the cast longer than Duffy was. Time do fly, don't it?)

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I'm agreeing with you. I think it's the face. Tapping just seems to look more like I would imagine Vale to look like.

7. JWolf

Nicholas Campbell [​IMG]

Jaime Ray Newman
    [​IMG]

Terry Chen
    [​IMG]

8. KRAD

9. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Slightly off topic here but did DaVinci's City Hall get canceled? I only get to watch Inquest here in Minnesota as reruns late night Sunday.

Back on topic, Tapping for Vale gets my vote. Better than my first choice for whom shall now go into the circular file. She was a bit too old anyway.

10. KRAD

I believe that it has been, yes. :(

11. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Believe? From the CBC's website:

Full story here: 'Da Vinci' Cancelled

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you were still holding out hope for this series.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

12. CaptainDonovin

In the words of Charlie Brown - Rats!!! :( Thanks for the info.

13. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't think of posting a question in here because I had no idea this was being used for casting characters of course. Here's my question:

Since Warpath mentioned an forenics officer aboard DS9 by the name of Michael Strang, I begun to wonder about CSI.
    Who could be casted as that character?
    William Petersen
    Gary Dourdan
    George Eads
    Eric Szmanda
    David Caruso
    Adam Rodriquez
    Rory Cochrane
    Jonathan Tongo
    Gary Sinise
    Carmine Giovinazzo
    Hill Harper
    Eddie Cahill

I mean there was not much of a describition of the Lieutenant at all. What does everyone think?

14. KRAD

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what did you think the "Cast the Characters of Trek Literature" topic was being used for? :lol:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching Jericho, and for some reason I've been thinking that Gerald McRaney could be a good Capt. Gold from SCE.

16. fleetcaptain

To be honest I didn't know if this was like a forum member meeting place for maybe something that was being done, like a fanfiction type story or something. It just didn't come to my mind through.

17. KRAD

^ Okee doke, fair enough. I was just curious. Carry on....

18. fleetcaptain

It's all good KRAD. No one hasn't responded to my question. I guess because there wasn't enough information on the charcater maybe.

19. CaptainDonovin

For Capt. Gold I keep thinking Paul Newman or Leslie Nielsen.

20. JWolf

I've thought Leslie Nielson as well for Captain Gold.