Carbon-free fusion power could be ‘on the grid in 15 years’

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Snaploud, Mar 11, 2018.

1. XCV330

XCV330 A Being of Pure Caffeine Premium Member

So another update from one of the Fusion power contenders: Lawrenceville Plasma Physics (LPP) has finally started their beryllium electrode experiment with their upgraded reactor. LPP is interesting, as its fare more transparent than any other effort, being supported by volunteer donations.

StarCruiser likes this.
  2. Discofan

Discofan Vice Admiral Commodore

The thing is that it's always a decade away. It's been that way for nearly four decades.

Brolan, publiusr, Ronald Held and 3 others like this.
  3. Cyanide Muffin

Cyanide Muffin All hail Doctor 13 Premium Member

Yep . Pretty much this.

Although we are on the way to almost flying cars with things like Uber Air.

If it happens.

Brolan and StarCruiser like this.
  4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

The fusion energy gain factor Q (power produced/power needed to sustain fusion) needs to be at least 5 for engineering breakeven and 20 for economic breakeven. Self-sustaining ignition corresponds to a Q factor of infinity. I'd like to see what Q factors are being claimed for these new reactors on the block.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    StarCruiser likes this.
  5. XCV330

XCV330 A Being of Pure Caffeine Premium Member

I don't know that any of them are giving that out, except maybe to the funders in whatever kind of prospectus they get. LPP is supposed to be aneutronic in production, so they'd be opting for direct electrical production. The q-factor requirements would be somewhat diferent for that system and for IEC aneutronic systems as well. They may do a neutronic demonstration and they'd certainly learn a lot more about managing the plasma state but moving on to boron i think has always been the goal.

StarCruiser and Asbo Zaprudder like this.