Captain Marvel (2019)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps not a coincidence at all if the initial incident that got her recruited by the Kree is somehow related to why the Skrulls are on Earth too. Perhaps they're after the same thing the Kree were, or maybe they're investigating why the Kree were interesting in such a backwater in the first place?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. ;)

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Vice Admiral Admiral

No. The Internet would have been burned to the ground.

OCD Geek, Unwrapped, Greg Cox and 2 others like this.
  3. Anwar

Anwar Vice Admiral Admiral

Same with the announcement of Tim Burton as director.

OCD Geek, Unwrapped, Greg Cox and 2 others like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely. I think of it akin to Doc Brown's reaction Ronald Regan as president. It all sounds incredibly absurd.

5. Untitled Hallmark Movie

Untitled Hallmark Movie About to meet a magical stranger Moderator

We used to like Tim Burton though.

6. The Scrooge Doctor

The Scrooge Doctor Bah humbug! Premium Member

I still do.

However, 80s folk only had Pee-wee's Big Adventure and Beetlejuice to go by (and Mr. Mom for Keaton) and that would've been enough for the internet to go insane.

OCD Geek, Greg Cox and fireproof78 like this.
  7. Anwar

He was relatively untested back in 1989.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was present at a convention shortly after Keaton was announced. I thought the poor Warner Bros. flack promoting the movie was going to be tarred-and-feathered. And I remember a ROLLING STONE article that suggested that the backlash against Keaton's casting was going to cause the movie to bomb at the box office.

Yep, that's absolutely what happened. :)

But, yes, "Mr. Mom as Batman, from the director of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure?" Fandom was convinced that this was going to be another Adam West campfest.

Fandom was wrong.

lurok, The Lensman, OCD Geek and 4 others like this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Commodore Commodore

It's very debatable, but I'd say the nominees for most important superhero movie are Superman, Batman, and X-Men, and Batman wins by a longshot. My reasoning is Batman's relative proximity to the superhero craze that X-Men kicked off a bit later. Superman was the first superhero movie to take it's source material somewhat seriously, but it took 2 decades for the genre to really take off.

10. flavaflav

flavaflav Captain Premium Member

Blade is also in the top 5 most important category. The comic movie genre was completely dead and buried until Blade came along.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

But Blade was riding on the then-current vampire craze, not a super hero craze. Most people didn't even realize that Blade was based on a comic.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Greg Cox and grendelsbayne like this.
  12. Anwar

Wasn't it only 1 year since B&R when Blade came out?

crookeddy and grendelsbayne like this.
  13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Closer to two I think? 96 and 98?

14. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Commodore Commodore

97 and 98.

Kemaiku likes this.
  15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

What a cat gets up to on Friday night is no one's business but the cat's. And the cat's partner's.
    To be fair, given how much Hugh Jackman embodies Wolverine, it's going to feel weird when we do get a new actor cast in the role. And whoever that is has a really tough act to follow.

16. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my recollection was that it was played up more as a Wesley Snipes action vehicle than a comic book property.
    It wasn't until 'X-Men' and a little later 'Spider-Man' that comic book movies really came back and I'm pretty sure 'The Matrix' (despite not actually being based on pre-existing comics) probably had more to do with those movies getting out of development hell and into production. 'The Phantom Menace' may also have been a factor since X-Men at least seems like it was pitched more as a science fiction movie than a super-hero one.

Oh and while we're talking about stars and directors with seemingly mismatched track records: how about the dude from 'The Cider House Rules' (who is clearly in his late 20's) and the director of the Evil Dead movies?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    OCD Geek likes this.
  17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Or IRON MAN from the director of ELF?

Reverend, Anwar and OCD Geek like this.
  18. flavaflav

flavaflav Captain Premium Member

Exactly.

19. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commander Red Shirt

In the spring of 1989 I was a senior in high school.

As a member of AV club my group's senior project was to do a fifteen minute news presentation in front of a selected group of teachers and parents.

I chose entertainment and interviewed one of our high school's math teachers, because he happened to own a comic book store and liked pop culture.

One of the questions I asked him was what he thought the big movie of the summer might be.

He said 'Batman', because, aside from 'Superman', people wanted to see 'Batman' on the big screen and Jack Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker.

I guess his prediction was closer to the truth than that Rolling Stone article.

20. Anwar

Really, if they had another one out so soon then the genre wasn't quite as annihilated as stated. I think B&R's rep has been exaggerated a bit much.