CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 4, 2010.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

I don't see the issue. It's a credible-enough twist on the character's origin, and obviously going to be played as silly/a waste of his time.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Can't we all just get along?!?!?"

3. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I see nothing wrong with that at all.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a clever approach.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Explains why a soldier would wear a brightly colored outfit.

6. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Steve Rogers will get to meet Bob Hope.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

With chain mail and little wings on the hood. Yeah, that makes a little more sense in this context.

8. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We are sooo getting Channing Tatum as Cap, you wait and see...

(Personally, I blame Aragorn. :shifty: :lol: )

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry but you are just plain wrong. Living in Ireland, I think I know a little more about it than someone living in Arizona (in fact, I live in Northern Ireland and have both Irish and UK citizenship).

You will not find that term used in Irish publications. You will not find it used in the Dail (Irish parliament). You will not find it in any Irish or British legislation, nor will you find it in any of the binding international treaties between the UK and Ireland. It means nothing, it is at best passe term which has fallen from favour and has been replaced by 'these islands' or 'Britain and Ireland' (or 'Ireland and Britain').

I'm not debating the point any more as there is clearly no point in arguing with the only person on the planet who thinks that the word 'Brit' applies to Irish people! :lol:

10. Chaos Descending

I never said that Irish people could be called "Brit". Not once. If you think I did, you are mistaken, or confusing me with another poster. Of course, many in Northern Ireland (Unionists) would says that people from NI could be called "Brit".

I said "Ireland is one of the British Isles". This is widely accepted as fact in the majority of the world outside of the Republic of Ireland, and by a majority of people in Northern Ireland.

You're clearly letting Irish politics and Irish nationalism influence your argument.

11. Captaindemotion

^ When I pointed out that Farrell wasn't a Brit because he came from the ROI, you said that Ireland was part of the British Isles. That he was therefore a Brit was the obvious inference from your post.

Northern Unionists are quite entitled to regard themselves as Brits and I wouldn't for one second take that away from them. They're not part of Great Britain, but they're entitled to a British passport.I don't hold to the view that you can prick Unionists till they bleed green blood or Nationalists till they bleed Orange blood.

I'm not sure how you deign to speak for the majority of people in the world or of Northern Ireland - being from NI, I do think I can speak with more authority as to what they say or think. The rest of the world may indeed think that Ireland is part of the British Isles, but then again, more people in the US believe in angels than believe in evolution. Many people think Sean Connery is English. That doesn't make them right. And it's the same with the term British Isles.

I'm not being influence by nationalism (again, you suppose to know what other people think) but by simple facts. You can choose to ignore me and wallow in your outdatef understanding of this part of the world (which I suspect you will) or you can actually listen to the input of someone who actually lives here and is attempting to explain the situation to you as the majority here now see it.

If, for example, a black person was explaining to me why the term 'coloured' was now frowned on, I wouldn't say 'well, white people have been using it for years and it's very clear what it means', I'd respect their view on it and take on board how terms and descriptions change over the years. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.

12. Chaos Descending

That would be true if I were being serious. I made it VERY clear in that post that I was posting in jest.

I don't speak for the majority of the world. Geography books and the Encylopedia Brittanica do that. I'm just parroting them.

That alone makes answering the rest of your post kind of moot. Now shuffle off.

13. Captaindemotion

^Outdated ones. You don't find the term in modern ones, at least not ones in these islands. You might find the term 'colonies' referring to the US in old reference books, but that hardly makes it accurate today.

It wasn't clear to me that you spoke in jest - and even if it was, you might still have believed what you said - but it's certainly very clear that you're not prepared to engage in the civil debate that I was trying to have. End of conversation.

14. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Gah?! No!?

15. Chaos Descending

Ugh, double post.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. Chaos Descending

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_%28terminology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute

Then I am sure you'll be more than happy to edit these Wikipedia article so that they keep up with the times.

I don't know how I could have been clearer, I stated it exactly thus in my post.

Yes, there is an edit there, but the edit was added about ten seconds after the original post was made, and LONG before you replied to it.

Pure speculation on your part.

I'm pretty sure that what you're trying to say is, "I'm right and you're wrong, and since you won't listen to me, you must not be doing it right".

Sorry mate, that dog don't hunt.

17. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right now I'm wishing I never brought up Colin Farrell's name.

18. Chaos Descending

Me too. He's a terrible actor. ;)

19. Captaindemotion

*Deep breath and I apologise for hogging the thread...

Okay, I promise this is my last word. For what it's worth, I generally find your posts agreeable and informed (especially in the Dr Who forum) and I say so in all sincerity, not to be patronising.

And it was speculation on my part that you may have believed that Farrell was a Brit. But a few days ago in the Treklit forum, I posted in jest about how believable Sean Connery, Mickey Rooney and John Wayne were as Asians in You Only Live Twice, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Ghengis Khan and two people thought I was serious. So, ... well you never know on the BBS, okay?!

Okay, I missed the jest part. My bad.

I don't intend to amend the Wikipedia entry (I'm not registered in Wikipedia) but I think that that website is well know for not being 100% reliable and I'd say that this is another example.

All I can say is that the majority of people in Ireland do not use or subscribe to the term British Isles in relation to our island. I think as the subject of the discussion we're entitled to a deciding vote on it. If you don't agree - well, fine. Nothing I can do about it. But I think you should be a little less dismissive and flippant of the view from the thick of it, so to speak. The 'shuffle off' bit wasn't really helpful.

Bad Bishop - next time, just mention Dominic West's American accent, will ya mate?! ;) (Hang on, he's got an Irish mother , scratch that...)

Let's resume normal service. CAPTAIN AMERICA MUST BE PLAYED BY AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

As a fellow Irish man I can say "Ireland is not under the name of the British isles". Take it from someone who is born and raised there and knows the deal. However, if anyone wants to contradict that then lets stir up more shit and say America is a colony of Britain and British people are actually French! :p

Oh yeah, I learn History from books, not wikipedia.