Spoilers Canon, Continuity, and Pike's Accident

Yes we should. Because at the end of the day it's fiction not history.

Maybe it's time for an actual proper reboot of Trek. If people being bothered by fake history not happening and doing constant retcons or new universes created by TOS spock and Red Matter. Lol.
I have been saying it for a long time now. Wipe the slate completely clean.....

Maybe it's time for an actual proper reboot of Trek. If people being bothered by fake history not happening and doing constant retcons or new universes created by TOS spock and Red Matter. Lol.
I'm not bothered. As I said, it's fiction and is therefore mutable. Marvel comics realized that decades ago.

Fictional is not set in stone, it's allowed to be changed.

I don't see any skyways with floating road signs, so no, we're not there.

I'm still bowled over by how many things we take for granted today had their geneses in WWII. Many things were brought within reach, but that doesn't mean humanity had yet grasped them.

Haha. I agree we are not there and probably never will be. People cannot drive on roads safely....could you imagine them trying to fly???

Any time now.

I'd welcome it with open arms and let continuity be left behind for those who prefer to keep track of the minutia. It's ok to just have a reboot, or for continuity to be ignored.

I'm not bothered. As I said, it's fiction and is therefore mutable. Marvel comics realized that decades ago.
Indeed, yes. But, the touchstone of Star Trek being about "our humanity" has been taken to the literal extreme that Star Trek cannot exists without the continuity being either strictly adhered too (i.e. a 60s interpretation of the future) or an in universe explanation give for the change.

They had the chance to do that in 2009, instead they did an alternate timeline which branched off the timeline seen in the other shows mostly as an excuse to have Leonard Nimoy make cameos.
As much as I love Nimoy, and his performance in 09 is very touching, as is his BTS interactions with the cast and crew, I would have preferred a full reboot then.

No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Need?

No.

But, at some point in time it becomes tired. It becomes the needle to jab future productions as failing to live up to a standard that didn't exist until 5 minutes ago.

That's the point were I'm like "Just reboot it. It's clear the characters don't matter so long as the minutia is correct!"

Now, that's the irrational part of my brain talking. The reboot side for me is just the fun of picking a future state, setting that as the moment and running away with it in a new Trek verse.

Need?

No.

But, at some point in time it becomes tired. It becomes the needle to jab future productions as failing to live up to a standard that didn't exist until 5 minutes ago.

That's the point were I'm like "Just reboot it. It's clear the characters don't matter so long as the minutia is correct!"

Now, that's the irrational part of my brain talking. The reboot side for me is just the fun of picking a future state, setting that as the moment and running away with it in a new Trek verse.
People need to look past the minutia. It's not that important.

They had the chance to do that in 2009, instead they did an alternate timeline which branched off the timeline seen in the other shows mostly as an excuse to have Leonard Nimoy make cameos.

Yeah I know. Its still kind of a weird choice they made.

Yeah I know. Its still kind of a weird choice they made.
It was sort of brilliant. They could (theoretically) do what they wanted* while not having old Star Trek fans cry out "They're erasing Star Trek!!!" (Those naive fools.) And they could really hammer home the point by including Nimoy. "Look! He's not gone! Old Spock! Right here!"

What they DIDN'T foresee (How could they? How could ANY OF US?) was that now every time a character walks into a room wearing a new shirt (let alone when they actually change something) we nerds will now cry "It's an ALT ALT ALT ALTERNATE ALTERNATIVE TIMELINE!"

* They couldn't, of course because there was lots of Star Trek BEFORE the Kelvin incident that they wanted to ignore as well, but it was a reasonable stab.

It was sort of brilliant. They could (theoretically) do what they wanted* while not having old Star Trek fans cry out "They're erasing Star Trek!!!" (Those naive fools.) And they could really hammer home the point by including Nimoy. "Look! He's not gone! Old Spock! Right here!"

What they DIDN'T foresee (How could they? How could ANY OF US?) was that now every time a character walks into a room wearing a new shirt (let alone when they actually change something) we nerds will now cry "It's an ALT ALT ALT ALTERNATE ALTERNATIVE TIMELINE!"

* They couldn't, of course because there was lots of Star Trek BEFORE the Kelvin incident that they wanted to ignore as well, but it was a reasonable stab.

Still though a complete reboot would have untied them from any shackles. As it stands now the shows just feels so disjointed and unconnected.(except for Picard )No matter how people try to reconcile it. I like SNW but I have a hard time thinking of it as anything but an alternate reality.

This is an unfortunate side effect of a long running franchise that sets it prior iterations on a pedestal of historical accuracy.

It was also brilliant because everyone and everything was at stake, no one knew who'd survive just because they're still there later in prime. See Vulcan and Amanda - you could not be sure Earth survives (like you can in prime because it's still around in Disco S3/4)

Back