Building a PC game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Crazyewok, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Commodore Commodore

Ok I have some experience modding and basic programming skills with C languages.
    I have always want to build a game so going for it.

Genre: RTS grand stratergy.
    Setting: colonisation of north central and south America 1500 to 1900.

Game it will be similar to will be Civ 4 colonisation and the Anno games.
    Will likely use unity game engine.

Things in my father is I am not doing it alone i have my fiancee and a relative. The relative a extremely experienced programmer working with me. The problem is talking him out of making his own game engine!

My weakness is will be graphical and sound. My fiancee is a artist but has little experience in digital art and graphics but she is learning . I am thinking on using isometric units and buildings. I dont expect or aim for high quality graphics but it needs to be passable.

So any tips?

2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Time is a monster Premium Member

What might be a good idea is to start small and make a small game just for yourself that way you can tweak it and add to it and get a feel for what you are doing.

3. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Commodore Commodore

I am the sort of person who loves to jump in at the deep end. In some ways I have been doing it small scale for decades with mods and have done mapping and level creation since age 7.

The more difficult programming side is covered by my father. I really am lucky with him as it is not a exaggeration on his skills, normally he comes with a £200,000 price tag! Now he is retired though he wants to do something creative.

It really is the art side that's going to be a pain in the arse and slow things down.