Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel - First Time Viewer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Apr 20, 2019.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other than the 8 episodes I’ve already seen, yeah pretty much.

2. tomalak301

Alan Tudyk did one of the better heel turns I’ve seen. Goes from coward like to psycho cutter of faces. Also it’s good we finally have a face to the Alpha character.

The episode where Echo plays Adelle’s Dead friend was kinda boring by the way.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The reason that Dollhouse was on FOX was because Eliza Dushku had a development deal with them. After she got the deal, she met Joss for lunch and they developed the idea that became Dollhouse.

4. tomalak301

Well I’m hindsight that’s a bummer. They could have taken it to FX.

5. tomalak301

Omega was a decent "finale". We got so much more on the Dollhouse and yeah Tudyk's role as Alpha was really great. Amy Acker's character being a doll was a pretty great twist, and I think it was the best thing about this episode. Also enjoyed the flashbacks, how Alpha wanted Whiskey replaced by Echo and the #1 doll.

I still don't like that Eliza Dushku's character only gets hints of character development before they "reset" her. I mean in this episode, we basically saw Faith, or at least Eliza at her very best. I loved the scenes where she was talking about identity and having 38 personalities all telling her no one would consent to slavery (or indentured servitude, as this Dollhouse is). The talk about ascending to godhood was a little on the over the top side though.

By the way, does anyone know if there is a copy of the unaired pilot I can see? I've been told that they inserted snippets of the pilot into various first season episodes, but I was wondering if one of the video streaming sites had it. If this is close to illegal streaming, I apologize in advance. I was thinking Vimeo or one of those sites where you can watch various things. I even watched the BSG Web Series Resistance on Vimeo last year.

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is on the first season DVD, so I would check to see if your local library has a copy.

7. tomalak301

I would watch a series if Epitaph One was it's pilot episode. Here we have the show 10 years into the future (Which interestingly is 2019) and the imprint technology has been widely used and consumed among the general population. Because humanity abuses that which they don't understand, we are given a much darker world than what the series has portrayed so far. This is a much different tone than what the series has given us already, and I think it's what the series has always supposed to be. We really get into why the Dollhouse is so bad and what it can do to the world, and how arrogance made that a fact. Caroline plays an important role in freeing the actives and those who want to keep their identity and personality. Yeah, it would have been a really dark series, but that was so much more interesting than anything that came before, and it clears up a lot of what the first season tried to do but kind of stalled in doing it. Also, Falicia Day was in this episode and I kinda think she's a better lead than Eliza Dushku, as much as it pains me to admit. Heck having a series that features Eliza and Felicia together would have been awesome.

This served as the unaired finale to season 1, and I think it's the best episode of Dollhouse I've seen so far. You can build something from this, and not have missions of the week like the first few episodes did.

8. tomalak301

By the way has anyone here seen the series Altered Carbon on Netflix. I have not but I just watched the trailer, and that feels like an indirect continuation to Dollhouse, at least the future shown in Epitaph One. I've been mildly curious, but I have it in my queue if I decided to start watching it one day.

9. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It’s ok. Sometimes hard to follow along. Though I’m glad I made it through/watched it. Sierra is completely naked in it

10. tomalak301

Wait, the actress who plays Sierra is also in AC? She really hasn't done much in Dollhouse to make me notice, but good she's still getting other work.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In another case of Mutant Enemy reusing actors, the woman who plays Sierra, whose name escapes me, had a recurring role in Agents of SHIELD season 2 as Daisy's mom.

12. tomalak301

There is a strong BSG connection with this show. I just started the second season premiere and Jamie Bamber is in it, as well as Tahmoh Penikett.

Also, Alexis Denisof is in this episode and I guess he has a recurring spot this season. Nice to see Wesley again.

13. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mutant Enemy loves their actors.

14. tomalak301

I haven't seen Michael Hogan (Colonial Tigh) in anything other than BSG. He's now in the 3rd episode of season 2 of Dollhouse. So many familiar faces showing up this season.

15. tomalak301

Johnathan Frakes directed an episode of Dollhouse? The surprises keep on coming.

16. tomalak301

Just watched up to The Attic (Episode 10) tonight. We're in some interesting shit now. The attic being used as a main computer mainframe for the Rossum corporation, Echo's journey has been pretty great with the multiple personalities and her learning how to use them, and just all the signs leading up to the apocolypse shown in Epitaph 1. It's a shame this series got cancelled because if they had done some of this a lot sooner, I think it could have had a good life. It's kind of unfortunate though that Echo is probably going to fail in terms of taking down Rossum because we still need to get to Epitaph. Still, to find out more about Caroline and how everything is coming together (Adelle actually playing the long game), its fun watching it all come together. This is the Joss Whedon I know.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gifted was pretty bad, so don't feel too bad about missing it.

tomalak301 likes this.
  18. Forbin

As I think it's been mentioned, the network mandated the first eps be misogynist fantasy-fulfillment crap. Joss put up with it so he could get to the story he wanted to tell.

19. Forbin

Altered Carbon was enjoyable, yes. The similarity to Dollhouse is sort of a flip-flop of the tech. Everyone has their personality backed up to a drive embedded in their neck. If they die, the drive can be put into either a clone, or some poor sap who either got kidnapped (the ultimate organ theft) or convicted of a crime. There's also, of course, recreational body swapping.

20. tomalak301

I’m done with Dollhouse and it’s time I let this thread die. It was a pretty good series but the weakest of the three Whedon shows I saw. You guys were right, once we got to Epitaph the series improved for the better and Echo’s arc was nice. Also RIP Topher at the end. He was somewhat of a hero too. It’s amazing how the villains ended up good people and the good people (Boyd and Claire) ended up the villains.

I knew there wouldn’t be much talk about this series which is why i didn’t post much about it. Heck on this comic con weekend where we saw Seven of Nine coming back to Star Trek, who cares about a 2 year canceled series about identity and how the way we live forms our own identity. How Echo came to be Echo and not just a doll was probably my favorite progression of this story. I just wish it happened sooner.

ialfan and .:: TSN ::. like this.