BREAKING: Paramount Sets Top Secret Star Trek Movie For Summer 2023; To Be Produced By J.J. Abrams

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They missed a trick not announcing it as Enterprise: The Motion Picture on the first day of the month.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    seigezunt likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Color me skeptical until the lights go down and the film comes up.

Mr. Laser Beam and KennyB like this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm not skeptical at all. They planned a movie since Beyond. Through bad luck, bad contracts, Studio upheavals, Studio merging, Covid, etc etc things haven't worked out. It's not the first era this happened, look at In Thy Image and Planet of Titans in the 70s. The minor miracle is that Hawley said they were almost ready to go before the cameras!

Its also not uncommon for movies, in general, to be in "development Hell", it took some movies decades to get made (Gilliam's Don Quixote anyone?), so 7 years won't really be so bad. :bolian:

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

J.J. #&%£ing Abrams.

Hard pass.

StarMan and Jack Wolfe like this.
  5. fireproof78

I'm glad some are not as skeptical as I. I usually am not, and am optimistic on a lot of things. This is not one of them. :beer:

RAMA likes this.
  6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm much more of a pessimist than I used to be, but in this case not. You can check back 5 years and I've never doubted, there are just too many reasons for them to want to do it.

7. fireproof78

Well we balance if nothing else. I have a lot more optimism in many things. Just not here. Perhaps I used it all up. It's been a long week.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hope it gets better!

In summer 2023 we'll be sipping jippers talking about the new Trek movie.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the merger well behind them, I'd say this is probably true. Though I think the validity is dependent on the current state of Abrams's and Kurtzman's working relationship -- of which, I have no idea.

There was always going to be a new Star Trek movie sooner than later, and even if it's mostly an independent project, Kurtzman's name is bound to appear somewhere in the credits.

10. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

Just two years. They're going to wind up rushing this puppy just like Beyond.

I really, seriously hope not. ST needs to have something that's not part of the Kurtzman Trek swamp. Keep the feature film stuff separate.

11. fireproof78

*whispers*Should we tell them that Kurztman was a part of the last feature films?"

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Two years is enough time to do a movie. Principal photography can really only take a few months, maybe half a year. Salary wrangling, pre-production and post-production is what can really eat up a lot of time. We're so used to some movies taking forever just to get greenlit, that doing an entire movie in just two years these days seems incredibly quick, when it used to be the norm, IMO.

13. STMSTS

STMSTS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Two years and a release date means there’s at the very least a solid draft of a script the studio likes and they have narrowed the search for a director down to two or three candidates. If they’re planning on using the current Kelvin cast, they probably also have an idea of availability and when they’d need to shoot. By way of context, Dungeons & Dragons, which Pine is appearing in is about to start shooting in London and was moved from May ‘22 to March ‘23.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  14. Bad Robot

I don't doubt there are plenty of people who can spin out a movie in two years. Kelvin Trek family does not appear to be among them (based on their track record to date). My hunch says there's not even a solid draft, just a name for somebody who's supposed to write it.

Assuming the date isn't just the most recent placeholder for the same "untitled ST movie" that's been kicked around for five years through several incarnations.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not very secret if you announce it. ;)

16. STMSTS

STMSTS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For context, Beyond’s planned development schedule had the official first draft finished in Aug. ‘14 with an expected shoot to start in Feb. ‘15 for a summer 2016 release, which is a fairly typical development window, particularly when you’re trying to pin down a large, in-demand ensemble cast like this one. You have to have dates pretty far out to pin people down.

Dec. ‘15 when Orci was dropped as director and his script set aside, the shoot window slid back for production to start in April, which is and was tight for the release, but not atypical. The real time crunch for the film was on the writing side, because the film was driven by the availability of the cast and the desire to have the film in theaters for the anniversary. Having dated the film means the studio knows if the cast is returning or not (given the short production window, my guess is they are).

Regardless, whatever direction the film takes, it will start in a financial hole, as it will be saddled with whatever costs have been incurred with all of the false starts since Beyond. I don’t think any have gotten past the script stage, but Beyond was hampered with the development and pre production costs of the original Kelvin III, which hurt its bottom line.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  17. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

As we do not know if this film will be set in the Kelvin universe or some other universe, wouldn't it better to move this thread to Star Trek future?

As for the film being released in 2023, I have heard similar promises made about other films in the past. I will believe it when we have definite evidence of actual production, like actors being filmed or sets being built.

18. Bad Robot

It's assumed it will be Kelvin because JJ Abrams is said to produce. I'll take him over Kurtzman any day.

19. fireproof78

Hmmm...

"Star Trek is a 2009 American science fiction action film directed by J. J. Abrams and written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman."

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Startrek.com announcement calls it a "Star Trek Universe movie", and isn't STU their name for the interconnected Paramount+ universe of Trek shows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.