Spoilers Beyond Enterprise vs Into Darkness Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ricardocube, Jun 18, 2016.

1. JasonJ

JasonJ Commander Red Shirt

Huh... would ya look at that...

I like the BB suit better.

2. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

It's not really that egregious when you consider that "nacelle" can refer to quite a few things including the impulse housing.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...But "behind" anything "aft" is always going to create problems!

(Of course, after all the pummeling the ship took, her life support system might well be floating somewhere behind the aftermost of her two warp nacelles, from where Khan's looking.)

Timo Saloniemi

4. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

it's mentioned in Dark Knight. they talk about the original suit not being as agile as Bruce would like. have to get new parts from different suppliers. the change in design makes sense.

5. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

The Enterprise has always changed between movies without much explanation. The design and layout of the bridge changed between all the movies. The damage on the outside AND inside changed between TWOK and TSFS.

To be honest, the JJPrise had probably been the most consistent until Beyond.

6. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Internally definitely.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The Motion Picture refit could have been freshened up for the -A but they figured just having it as is would bring back fond memories. CGI allows a lot more flex'

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I think with TVH it was a question of money. They probably considered doing an all new Enterprise, but... money. Works out way better emotionally that way though.

publiusr likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Supposedly the original plan was to give them the Excelsior, but they changed their minds.

I wish they'd done it. As-is, at the tail end of STIV it's like nothing that happened in II or III really mattered. Spock and the Enterprise are back, and David's back in the oblivion from whence he came.

10. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it really does seem to bring it full circle, and in a sense reset-button the events. Though we did get a few bits and pieces in V and VI that recalled these events. (David's death being used against Kirk, etc...)

And they did give us one good gag in Star Trek V which held the continuity along.
    "God, I liked him better before he died!" :rommie:

I remember a friend of mine told me there was a rumor going around back then that they considered a new build ship that would have looked more like the original Enterprise, but I've never seen or heard anything that substantiates that.

If they had pulled over the Excelsior and shown another Excelsior class with a different color scheme and "USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-A" that would have been cool. Imagine an Excelsior with a egg-shell white hull, soft blue-grey highlights, and lot's of red/gold-pin striping. Damn, now I want to see one of the resident CGI artists cook that up...

JasonJ likes this.
  11. dendog69

dendog69 Cadet Newbie

After Darkness, after a year. The wear and tear on the constant long distances came to an end. The Enterprise had to separate the saucer section to save the crew. It returned and was refited. The new design was for long distance space travel.

12. trekfan39

trekfan39 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually the refit model was freshened up when it became the Enterprise-A. Things that were changed include repainting the strongback area from a green color to a blue as well as changing the pattern in the area, removing five windows from the starboard side of the secondary hull and quite a few other thing as well.

Neumann likes this.
  13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Bear in mind that you're replying to a post from almost a year ago. Not everyone participating then may be following this thread now - or even necessarily interested in rejoining an old discussion.

14. F. King Daniel

I'd heard of the repaint they did between TMP and WoK, but this is the first I've heard of other modifications besides the "-A" for STIV. Cool.

Neumann and gerbil like this.
  15. F. King Daniel

This pic of the excellent (incorrect number of phaser emplacements and lack of saucer windows aside) Eaglemoss Beyond model shows the differences between it and the original
    [​IMG]
    I really like it for a somewhat odd reason: it reminds me of old Trek comics where they'd draw the Enterprise or Excelsior a little weirdly because they didn't have good reference shots.

gerbil, saddestmoon and pst like this.
  16. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

the eaglemoss model really shows off the fact that the ship looks terrible in orthographic views but wonderful as a three dimensional object.

drt, Syd Shanshala and F. King Daniel like this.
  17. Syd Shanshala

Syd Shanshala Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just got the eaglemoss beyond enterprise and oh my sweet god, they captured the fragility of the TOS enterprise and crossed it with the jjprise. I’m honestly really sad it got destroyed and we won’t see more of it. I had no idea how much it actually changed from STID to Beyond until I got my hands on it

F. King Daniel, pst and saddestmoon like this.