Spoilers Beyond Enterprise vs Into Darkness Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ricardocube, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It looks like the neck was worked on while the nacelles complete with their pylons were detached and the new ones placed on, as well as the phaser units being changed over. The rest of the ship outside and in, looks to be the same.

When we see the new ship being built, there's a modular ethic going on, even finally seeing a bridge module being slotted in the way we always through they were.

2. ricardocube

ricardocube Lieutenant Red Shirt

* Spoilers *
    Interview with designer Sean Hargreaves here:

Galileo7 likes this.
  3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Nice 24 min in you see blueprints--line drawings rather.

4. Shark

Shark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love the "Beyond" version of this ship. It's the only version of it I like. In fact, I love it. If I could make love to it... (I'm only half kidding). I've poured over pics of it from the movie and the most logical supposition is that they removed the saucer and attached it to a brand new secondary hull, complete with new, smaller, warp nacelles. As for the size of the new nacelles? I think we could say that the technology was refined and the engines made smaller. You'll notice their design didn't change much between the two versions, just their size. Which could also explain the new, awesome, warp-speed effect.

5. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did notice that -after the potential problem that Khan pointed out in STID- one of the upgrades to the Beyond Enterprise was the removal of the aft nacelle....

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's someone's photomanip of the Star Trek Beyond Enterprise. It's pretty accurate.
    [​IMG]

saddestmoon likes this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Of the three variations they've made, the first one is still my favorite. The above just looks awkward.

MFB likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

I think it looks a lot better in motion. This version looks less aggressive and more graceful than the ST'09/ID version

9. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

The Kelvin Universe Enterprise has always looked better in motion or in 3 dimensions. I definitely think that's true of the Beyond variant.

10. JasonJ

JasonJ Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, what? What aft nacelle? I must be missing something... any images to point this out?

Or are you referring to the literal removal of the nacelles by Krall's swarm ships?

11. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

It's a line from British Khan in STID after taking control of Vengeance

He'd take out life support system located behind the aft nacelle.

Poorly worded line in a sloppy yet entertaining movie

12. JasonJ

Did ... not.. catch that. I was too engrossed in the film! lol.

13. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

The problem is that when they changed the pylons to be swept back they still had them join at the front of the nacelles. On the TMP refit they joined closer to the middle which gives it a more balanced look. Although this isn't as bad as the new Ent-A where it looks like the nacelles are about to snap off.

shatastrophic likes this.
  14. JasonJ

I think on the Abrams-Enterprise for STB, they did that so that it didn't lose that long, slender look that made it look fast... although it would have been better from aesthetic pov to mount them like TMP Enterprise refit. But they thinned out the pylons on purpose, to make it look fragile for the swarm ship attack scene; the refit E from TMP made the pylons 2-3times as thick, particularly where they mated to the nacelle.

Completely opposite design choices for completely opposite reasons. The refit Enterprise from TMP was made to look strong, powerful, solid and reliable... whereas STB Enterprise was made to look like a glass ballerina.

15. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

And that's one of my biggest issues with Beyond. They made the Enterprise like Guy on Galaxy Quest who's sole purpose is to die and show how tough the bad guy is.

JasonJ likes this.
  16. F. King Daniel

The way I see it, the Enterprise went from Henry Cavill Superman in ST'09 and ID to Christopher Reeve Superman in Beyond. One was powerful, the other graceful.

17. JasonJ

Good analogy... and I agree. I think the thin pylons, graceful, glass ballerina C. Reeve version would have been fine, if that is how it was designed and portrayed to begin with. Much with why Jeffries designed TOS Enterprise with such thin, spindly pylons... and the Ent-J with it's comparablely tiny nacelles.. to convey that technology has advanced to the point where shearing forces and gravitational stress is handled. The tech is so powerful, so advanced, that we can have this large superstructures suspended by a pylon 1/10th the size of the nacelle.

But instead, we get two diametrically opposed viewpoints on how the ship should look.

18. F. King Daniel

I wonder how many viewers even noticed the changes outside of the hardcore fans here? I'm aware Batman's costume changed a little between Dark Knight trilogy movies but couldn't say how, and wouldn't be surprised if the Batmobile changed similarly but never gave it much thought.

JasonJ likes this.
  19. JasonJ

I've heard that about Bale's costume.... I'd have to go back and watch both films and pay attention to even notice; as I didn't when I saw them the first time. In universe, a change in a costume/uniform makes more sense and is believable, even Tony Stark and his 100+ models of armor.

I have to be honest, even knowing the changes they made for the ship in Beyond, I didn't really notice when in the thick of the battle with the swarm ships... it kinda looked more spindly, and thinner in places... but it was so egregiously different that I thought, "whoa... that's not the same!" Now I notice it more often.. it's kinda like when you buy a new car, suddenly you start to notice ALL of the other cars of the same model as yours on the road.. whereas before, you could swear you never saw but one.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  20. F. King Daniel

I googled, here's how Christian Bale's suit changed between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I didn't know the changes were so pronounced until just now. The bat logo is totally different!
    [​IMG]

Psion and JasonJ like this.