Better that Michelle Forbes wasn't in DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by JesterFace, Aug 12, 2020.

1. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's coherent, has long-term strategies, his lies are usually not so blatant as to be obvious to everyone who doesn't know him well, and he reaches some of his goals. So yeah, I'd say there's a bit of a difference in terms of competence.

Grendelsbayne and dupersuper like this.
  2. Gelnon

Gelnon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I concur with that statement.

FanST likes this.
  3. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Much as I love Ro Laren, we only have Kira and B'Elanna because Ro's actress twice refused to a regular role. So while I'd die for both Kira and B'Elanna to have met and interacted with Ro onscreen, yes, it's better than Ro wasn't a regular on either show.

4. garakvsneelix

garakvsneelix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In my eyes, there should have been either Ro or O'Brien on Deep Space Nine. Both of them would have been 'too much TNG' for me (especially, when VOY didn't have any TNG character in the main cast and also considering the later appearences of our favorite Klingon). But I always hoped for a guest appearance of Ro, where she meets Kira and they play out some differences between them. It would have helped Kira to lay down the 'Ro-clone-ishness', she sometimes had in the earlier seasons.

FanST likes this.
  5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I agree with the people who wish Ro and Kira could have coexisted, but I definitely prefer Kira. Her adherence to the Bajoran faith gave her a unique perspective amid the contrasting beliefs of Quark and Worf, and Federation skepticism.

Ro's fate saddens me, but I understand it. That's part of the peril of the deep cover operator; they have to flirt with the dark side, and sometimes they wind up seduced by it). One wonders if she survived the Dominion purge, and if so, what became of her afterward.

6. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I would have preferred a Ro Laren character that would have pushed back against traditional Bajoran spiritualism instead of Kira's blind acceptance of it which I find annoying at times. I do like the character of Kira Neris but that overriding (at times) spiritualism irritates me.

Of course, the question we can never answer is who would have been better on DS9, Visitor or Forbes. It's an unknowable thing since we only get to see one.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Out there somewhere is an alternate universe where Forbes did take the role, so if they discover how to cross realities we might get a chance to see :lol:

8. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Well, I think the general consensus seems to be that we're not so much sorry that Forbes rejected the role, as glad that Nana Visitor got it.

9. B'elanna_Torres

B'elanna_Torres Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I am glad she didn't join despite loving what Michelle brought to the writing and the character itself being very well written. Not only would a lot of Kira's best moments have been lost (since Nana did bring something unique to her work), but we would have ended up with three TNG alumni when two was plenty.

FanST, HugeLobes and kkt like this.
  10. Bry_Sinclair

There would've been O'Brien and Ro, who's the third?

11. B'elanna_Torres

Worf.

Admittedly, this was later on so it's possible that maybe Worf may not have been brought across if Ro was added from the first episode.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  12. Bry_Sinclair

Oh yeah :lol:

Somehow, I managed to completely forget about him :guffaw:

13. B'elanna_Torres

You're lucky I can't add an avatar yet given your bigotry of Klingons :P

FanST likes this.
  14. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Just do this: :klingon::klingon::klingon:

Just watched "Accession" last night. I forgot how much I loved Kira in that episode. Especially her interactions with Benjamin. The loss of Ro was our gain.

FanST likes this.
  15. Bry_Sinclair

Some of my friends are Klingon :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Only 38 and already having "senior moments", does not bode well for the future.

kkt and Bad Thoughts like this.
  16. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

My life's been one long senior moment. :shrug:

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  17. B'elanna_Torres

30 here ;)

18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Kira too much to even think of Ro who was not even one of my favorite character on TNG. I'm sure the producers could've done something with Ro but Kira had some strong and interesting facets about her which loved. "Duet" was one the best challenging effort for that character; she was literally shaken up in that episode and became such a moving and powerful character. Another episode I truly love.

19. Bry_Sinclair

"Duet" is an episode that truly lets the character and actor shine. If its not in fans' top ten episodes of the franchise then there's something wrong with them :lol:

Captain pl1ngpl0ng and kkt like this.
  20. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Yep. "Progress" too. The two best episodes of season 1 are both Kira's! :)