Spoilers Batwoman - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jan 26, 2019.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I. Never. Mentioned. The. Freedom. Of. Speech. I am talking about censorship via mob rule, which goes on these days.

Also, obviously everything is a joke. Life is just a cruel joke.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one is being censored, it's just a kind request.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose this has generated discussion if nothing else.

Fair enough, I started to but at 54 minutes I realized I need to carve out a time where I can watch and give it enough attention.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Back on topic, I mentioned earlier that the context of Kate's remarks about her gender versus Bruce's and wanting the credit for her superheroics to go to her rather than him is exactly as the trailer presents it, but didn't mention the source of that assertion, which is a sneak peak clip from the episode itself that is available for viewing, if desired, on the fansite Batwoman TV:
    https://batwoman.tv/batwoman-extended-trailer-sneak-peek

5. crookeddy

Haha now all the idiots defending it as out of context can kindly apologize and leave the room.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody was defending her comments as being out of context. The dispute was over whether or not her comments were genderist and dismissive of men based on the context in which they were presented in the trailer, which is not even remotely close to being accurate, as the full sneak peek clip demonstrates.

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Life is just a cruel joke."

Now, there's a worldview shared by Jokers and fascists alike, no?

YLu and Awesome Possum like this.
  8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"I'm not letting a Man take credit for a Woman's work."

At first I even thought it sounded wrong. She says that because at that point she’s wearing Batman’s suit without any red hair showing. She’s also very far away. They can’t tell it’s a woman either

The people think it’s batman from far away and they praise him

So she’s going to modify the suit to be more feminine so that she gets the credit and people know it’s not batman

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  9. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Nonono, life's a laugh, and death's a joke. It's true.

10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That’s exactly what it’s supposed to mean. I’m not sure where some are seeing an attack on men, other than remembering that they see this everywhere.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Speaking of mob censorship...
    #hypocrisy

YLu and Awesome Possum like this.
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I certainly don't see it as an attack on men or anything of the sort, but I do see it as sloppy writing at least in terms of characterisation. But that may just be me.

There was a line in the first episode of Supergirl that elicited a similar reaction from me; IIRC (haven't re-watched since it first aired so I may be misremembering) a waitress at a diner or something says something to the effect of: "gee it'd be nice if we had a female superhero so my daughters had someone to look up to."
    Just to be clear, it's not the sentiment that bothers me, but the "tell not show" lack of subtlety. For me both of these lines feel like a writer either not confident that the audience will get it through subtext alone, or a writer that simply has nothing substantial to say and so resorts to scoring cheap points.

I've already gone over some of my character motivation logic problems that I think this line might indicate, so I won't revisit those. Bottom line, I hope the show has something more substantial to contribute than a bat themed rendition of 'Anything You Can Do'.
    Supergirl certainly improved leaps and bounds (no pun intended) after that shaky start and I suppose I rather hoped this show would start off on surer footing. Time will tell.

13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

While its rather obvious that the trailer was designed to trigger emotions across the sociopolitical minefield, I will reserve final judgement for the first couple of episodes, where ideological direction usually makes itself clear on most TV series. I was very interested in Batwoman's first appearance (she was the only bright spot in that crossover), and would like to see how the Bat-End of the tracks plays out.

Personally, I would like to see her face off against more organized crime figures and not focus on what Rogue's Gallery characters the DC TV division has access to. Show her earing her "stripes" with field injuries (see: Alex Ross' various paintings of Bruce Wayne's battle scars for an example), which would show that her world is brutal and cannot be wrapped up in a couple of fights and/or gadgets.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's one line out of context. You can't assume anything about the characterization that motivates it.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Assumption would imply a conclusion, which I have not reached. I'm giving a subjective impression based on how the show is being presented in the context of marketing materials, which speaks directly to how the network or whoever is in charge of trailers wants people to think about this show and how they think it'll attract viewers.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  16. crookeddy

Lol this guy has so many people on ignore that he doesn't even know that the out of context theory has been debunked.

Way to live in your little safe space! Haha

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  17. Awesome Possum

I think it’s wonderful we have a soft butch lesbian superhero going around kicking ass on TV now.

Avalon, Greg Cox, YLu and 5 others like this.
  18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you just crossed that line. Not good.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  19. Awesome Possum

You have a lot of internalizes antisemitism, that’s not healthy and you should seek help for that. Hating yourself is no way to go through life. You’re also now siding with the fascists, the people who actually attacked and tried to exterminate the Jewish people. So that’s not good.

Turtletrekker and DEWLine like this.
  20. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

I'm not sure how that relates to the CW Batwoman series, but okay.

Shaka Zulu and Awesome Possum like this.