Battle for Betazed

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GaryH, Sep 15, 2016.

1. GaryH

GaryH Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi,

I'm really enjoying Imzadi II at the moment by Peter David. I think I missed it when it came out, as the twists and large presence for great characters like Lwaxana and Sela is unexpected.

Is the Battle for Betazed worth reading?

2. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish BillJ Premium Member

Decent enough.

GaryH likes this.
  3. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Fairly boring from memory. Neither stand-out nor awful

GaryH likes this.
  4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the book when I read especially stuff about the Dominion war and the occupation of Betazed. I liked the back story of Elias Vaugn and Deanna Troi in this book.

GaryH likes this.
  5. GaryH

Thanks.

Man, Imazadi II was such a good book.

I want more Peter David...

6. Reanok

Peter David has a new Non Star trek book that recently came out recently a modern fantasy twist of new York and King Author and knights of the round table type story. Sorry I can't think of the title right now. I saw it mentioned on some Star trek news website.

GaryH likes this.
  7. Idran

Idran Commodore Premium Member

Is that part of his Knight Life series? Did he release a new one in that recently?

8. Reanok

Yes Idran that's right the Knight life series. The new Book came out in April 2016 according to Amazon.com. He also has a new Sir Apropos of nothing novel book 4 Pyramid Schemes that takes place in Egypt. The novel came out in July.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  9. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I love PAD and his Trek and non Trek work. I read Knight Life years ago and it was a hoot.
    I read BfB years ago and found it a bore. I'm planning to re-read it soon as part of my massive Trek reading marathon but I'd think coming from Imzadi to this would be a let down. Even as someone who's planning to read it a second time I wouldn't strongly recommend it. There are loads of other better Trek books I'd recommend over it.
    Peter David's New Frontier series is excellent especially for someone who already likes his work.

GaryH likes this.
  10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It looks like it's actually a new printing of Knight Life (that is to say, a new printing of the 2002 re-write, not the 1987 original release). Several of PAD's original novels have been re-released in the past few years, including this one, Sir Apropos of Nothing, and The Darkness of the Light. Most of the new editions have been through Crazy 8 Press, but Knight Life's is from a publisher I'm not familiar with.

borgboy and GaryH like this.
  11. GaryH

I love New Frontier although I must admit the recent eBook was not my favourite. It felt too much like wrapping up loose ends instead of being its' own story. I would be happy to see Peter David writing a novel showing where the characters are now post Destiny / Prey.

I am very fond of Sela as a twirling moustache villain. Any good books with her I should check out?

borgboy likes this.
  12. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

The Romulan Stratagem is good, but she doesn't do much moustache twirling in it

13. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Sela is a major villain in Imzadi II, in a story that resolves the Troi/Worf relationship, features both Will and Tom Riker, and some hilarious interactions between Lwaxana and Worf as he struggles to get his blessing for his engagement to Troi.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't remember which part, but Sela is in part of Indistinguisable from Magic.

15. Reanok

Sela has a major story arc In Indistiuisable magic.I wish David McIntee would write another Star Trek book.

GaryH likes this.
  16. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

lol

17. Dr. San Guinary

Dr. San Guinary Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    Now there's a mental image I didn't need. :eek: :lol:

GaryH likes this.
  18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Back on topic, for the OP, I would recommend reading the story. It really tells the story of a major plot point that was dropped in the whole DS9 Dominion War arc, but then never expanded upon, much to the consternation of fans.

GaryH likes this.
  19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

So do I... Though Sela wasn't in anything else I pitched.

20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

It was originally Vulcan that fell to the Dominion, but that would definitely have needed a follow-up. Betazed was more suitable, a TNG world but not an important one.