Bates Motel seemed like it's going 2 suck, & then it didn't.(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Bates Motel seemed like it's going 2 suck, & then it didn't.(Spoil

The sheriff is an intelligent man who gets paid off by the local drug lords, or the sheriff is a putz who accepts the status quo for the betterment of the towns artificially vibrant and healthy economy.

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I think you may be on to something there. Norman clearly doesn't remember that he tried to cave in Dylan's skull with the meat tenderizer. He's clearly having breaks from reality. The very first thing we saw of Norman was him waking up in bed with the tv on and he was fully clothed. Then he finds dad. Perhaps that's why Norma looked so very uninvolved and unsurprised when Norman came running to her crying. She knew Norman had done him in.

Excellent hook for next week. I know I'll be back. Maybe Norma isn't above having sonny boy do a little dirty work for her when needed? Just prod sonny a little bit and.....

3. Dorian Thompson

Just saw a little featurette on A&E when I got up with insomnia and turned on the television. "Inside the episode" for Bates Motel episode 3. Man, I didn't realize how well Freddie Highmore hid his English accent. It's not so easy for them if they aren't doing a southern accent, either. He's almost as good as Jamie Bamber was on Battlestar. I consider him the gold standard of faking American accents.

4. Guy Gardener

Jaime Murray is playing an alien in Defiance in a fortnight so I'm not sure what that means for her accent... How English was she in Dexter?

5. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She reminded me of a psychotic Lara Croft as Lila in Dexter Season Two. She even had the short shorts.

6. Guy Gardener

As a time displace Victorian Adventuress in Warehouse 13, they side stepped all suspension of disbelief and did dress Jaime up as Lara Croft on a mission to Egypt to break into a crypt (Yes I know, Warehouse 2, but noobs need shit dumbed down.)

Myka "What the hell are you wearing??!!"

HG Wells "No, no, I researched the subject thoroughly, THIS is what fashionable Archaeologists are wearing in this century."

Myka "No, that's what perverted American video game designers think fashionable Archeologists are wearing this century."

HG Wells "Oh"

http://images3.cliqueclack.com/tv/files/2010/09/hg-croft.png

I wonder how long until Norman has Tombraider fantasies about resucuing his mommy from the Temple of Doom?

Every episode could start with a wet dream about making out with his mother.

The complete opposite from Providence where the heroine would wake up dry to the bone after having nightmares about her dead mother being intrusive and judgemental.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Her character on Dexter was explicitly identified as British--and was memorably described by Dexter's sister as "a titty English vampire" and "pale as a fucking corpse."

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  8. Guy Gardener

I keep reading Tombraider as Tom-braider. As in a hair stylist exclusively for male cats. Which is an entirely different video game. Thank you for propping up my dementia Greg.

Alex Kingston's yank accent on Arrow is appalling, but then she has to approximate an accent somewhere between her imaginary husband's fake American accent and her imaginary daughter's completely different "real" American accent... Good lord! Her father! Her father! My eyes!

Watched Hannibal last night.

Which entered production first and which is the cheap knock off rushed into production at the 11th hour to stymie the competition?

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Dorian Thompson

Norma, Norma, Norma. You should have called the police when Sommers raped you. :borg: I want to feel bad for her because she is a victim, but she shouldn't have involved her child in the cover up, hotel or no hotel.

Dylan--to think I bitched and moaned about a brother being added to the story. It's genius. They've cast this series so incredibly well. The three family members are perfect. Dylan gives a damn after all.

I didn't expect Norman to sleep with Bradley since in the original he turned on the women whenever he became sexually excited by them. Of course, Norman isn't "mother" yet. Poor little Bradley. She is so dead. Of course this gives a tantalizing hint that a normal life is still possible for Norman. All the more tragic to snatch away from him.

11. Guy Gardener

Bradley is the reason that all blonde woman must die.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, now that they've established the Norman sometimes sees and hears things that aren't there, I find myself constantly questioning whether any given scene is actually happening.

The whole time Norman was fessing up to his brother about the rape/murder/coverup, I kept expecting a "stinger" scene where we found out that Norman was actually talking to an empty chair. But I guess not.

Ditto for that dream-like sex scene with Bradley . . . .

13. Dorian Thompson

If the writers did that it would lose its effectiveness pretty quickly.

14. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kept seeing "Bradley" on the phone, then had to keep reminding myself it was the girl. Seems like an odd name choice for someone to give their daughter.

15. Guy Gardener

It was Boy who cried Wolf.

Dylan is so used to Norman "imagining" things that this was "the proof" that Norman is insane that Dylan was talking about on the stairwell with Norma.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i too expected the brother confession scene to be just a delusion. wouldn't be surprised if the sex was imagined though.

17. Dorian Thompson

Why would Norman imagine confessing? Confession is cathartic. Aren't the delusions usually someone doing something negative to Norman, ie his mother guilting him about something?

18. Guy Gardener

Then there's why wouldn't Dylan ask mum if she's feeling okay after being being raped and murdering someone and running from the law... Is he just bone and grissle on the inside? Has he no compassion or humanity for his mummy when she's actually in the twixt of an outrageous situation... Besides, he would have no idea how his mother being caught for the murder of a local would impact on his employers who might have considered that rapist and ally and then might want to burn him.

Either Norman imagined telling Dylan, Dylan thought Norman imagined the rape/murder or Dylan is an asshole.

:)

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's perfectly clear that the show is not going to be about genuine human characters. It's about a town full of grotesques, beneath a facade of normality. If you've been in a situation where you find that a beloved family member is hallucinating, you do not ignore it. This show is about sensationalism, we are meant to enjoy the crazy capers. Emotional investment is buying in in a bad way.

20. Dorian Thompson

Unless you're mommy dearest, Norma Bates, who could use a kid who hallucinates to get rid of her husband who's beating her. Norma's off her rocker and she gave birth to a son whom she's pushing ever so slowly off of his rocker. They're larger than life characters.

They're genuine human, yet larger than life, off their effing rocker characters. They're supposed to be abnormal. The town is very Twin-peakish by design. TPTB were very upfront about that. If that's the setting from the beginning, IMO it's okay to have these "grotesques." Just be true to your setting and the universe you've created.

Did anyone else wonder if Norman killed Bradley? She didn't stir and there was no contact from her all episode long. Probably not, but I wouldn't put anything past this show. It would be true to the original incarnation of Norman who went all violent whenever a girl other than mother aroused his manly beast.

Dylan ran that guy down with his truck and he's still the most normal well intentioned/adjusted character of the bunch. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013