Babylon 5

What was wrong with Enterprise as a name that is what I want to know!

Based on my admittedly sketchy understanding, Trek's copyright/trademark on starships named Enterprise is limited to the prefix USS.

Meaning, B5 could have had an EAS Enterprise if they wanted. But JMS probably left it alone as a sort of gentleman's agreement. (I admit I am very curious as to what kind of ship the EAS Enterprise would have been!)

And Firefly could also have had an IAV Enterprise, for the same reason.

Stargate, OTOH, used USS as the prefix for its starships (as did The Orville). So that's why they couldn't have had a USS Enterprise. That is legally reserved only for Trek.

Enterprise is a very famous name now.
For Space Battleship Yamato 2202, the Earth fleet started to get ships that were not just Japanese origin names, but also British, American, and Russian names. Early on the question was asked about Enterprise due to its famous lineage and that Star Trek paid homage to Yamato by making it one of the Galaxy class starships and this a sister to Enterprise. While there so far has not been an Enterprise in that anime, they did make one of Yamato's sisterships the Ginga, which is Japanese for Galaxy.

I think a simpler and more likely reason is that it would have just seemed tacky.

That too. :lol:

It's still fun to think about, though.

I always thought that the EAS Enterprise was probably an Explorer-class ship. Sure would fit the name, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
We took a break.

Started season 5 with lunch today.

I know this theory will not hold up, but Byron is not real.

There is no colony.

It's just Simple Simon, the dumb kid with the handshake flowers, any flat scan would call an assault and bottle him for.

Franklin thinks that he is talking to Byron, and examining Simon.

He is doing neither.

Simon is in a vent, hiding the whole time, casting an illusion.

Every prickish smelling his own farts loser wanker piece of "we are misunderstood too beautiful creatures who you mundanes could never understand after a million years of waxing contemplation" bullshit wafting out of that hippies cake hole was the broken attempt by a 14 year old traumatized child to ape Bela Lugosi's Dracula and hope it impressed and aroused the adults enough, that they would give him cart blanche to build a club house.

I hate Byron.

Last edited:
The thing to remember about telepaths raised by the corps; they're basically in a cult. Separate from the rest of society for most of their lives until adulthood. Indoctrinated into a wholly different world view, value set, and has had it drilled into them over and over that they are both better that than everyone else, and utterly dependent on the corps because everyone else hates them and will murder them all at a moment's notice. Collective elitists that just so happen to actually be objectivity superior, but also helplessly outnumbered, and thus bound into service.

That means that most blips are not only cult escapees with all the psychological damage and skewed perspective which usually comes with that; they really are surrounded by people that hate and fear them for what they are, which thanks to their talent, they have to hear and feel every time they're around mundanes . . . unless they do what the corps taught them and run rhymes and sums though their mind over and over.

If a lot of what Byron and his people says and does seems contradictory, even hypocritical; I think that's by design.
They're a people that have rejected the identity they were raised with, trying to forge one all their own, all the while the rest of society seems to go out of it's way to confirm everything the corps ever said about them.
They're being pulled and pressured from all sides, all the time.
It should be no surprise that they so often fall back on what they know; forming close-knit cadres. Group which can turn into a mob very easily because they're always in each other's thoughts, and are easily threatened. Keeping outsiders at arm's reach because they can feel their disdain and distrust.

For me the most telling aspect is always how Byron reacts to learning the truth about what the Vorlons did. All the pretence and self-delusion falls away, and the self-hatred rises straight to the surface. They hate what they are and thus want to be the thing they hate even more. No wonder they're all tied up in knots.

I was pretty sympathetic to the telepaths' side and amenable to them having their own world until they a) thought it was a good idea to engage in extortion, and b) resorted to violence.

Byron's decision to threaten to reveal the ambassadors' secrets seems more driven by emotion than reason (spurred by the discovery that the Vorlons created the telepaths), and I wonder whether any part of him appreciated how much he was betraying his own pacifism in that moment.

It seemed obvious to me at that point that any hopes of a Telepath Planet had just gone out the window, and I don't know why Byron thought things would turn out any differently.

Of course, in the end Lyta's "For Byron" sentiments represent nothing less than an utter betrayal of the ideals that he was aspiring to.

Yeah, but you can't argue with results.

You seen (the excellent movie) Clue?

If the person blackmailing you, knows who you are, they will kill you.

If Byron had Blackmailed everyone, for money, and never revealed that he was the blackmailer, they would have paid, and no one would have died.

He's a moron.

How Difficult Is It To Reverse Engineer Technology?

I figure that the technology of the captured Centauri weapons was close enough to the level of the Narn and Earthlings...for those species to build second rate knock offs.

If the gap in sophistication is slightly wider, the result might be third rate.

Often, the gap would be very wide. Centuries wide. Consider reverse engineering a modern tank in the Byzantine Empire.

(Surprisingly, it seems that the ancient Greeks could have built steam engines. But those were very simple machines compared to todays high tech).

Last edited:
Back