Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Buying out the Warner stake in the CW wouldn't give Paramount ownership of Babylon 5; that would stay with Warner's TV division.

Verteron likes this.
  2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Commodore Commodore

Upon closure of the deal, Paramount and Warner Bros. will continue to produce content for The CW and Nexstar would also look to other studios in hopes of purchasing other content. When Pedowitz took over the reins at the broadcast network, he looked to broaden its appeal and audience. According to this new report, Nexstar has plans of their own to equally broaden that scope to cover older audiences, as The CW currently focuses on young adults. Nexstar will look to put out programming that would match the demographics of its affiliates.
    Per Colider 1 month ago.
    B5 would skew older..so that would work with there stated goals.
    6 week old news so.. Hope for the best

3. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Does that website have what we used to call an index page or home page? I've tried two browsers and I don't see any links to other sections of the site. Doing a Google site search (https://www.google.com/search?q=site:b5books.com) finds other pages, but if they're not linked from the main page, are they just old abandoned pages, or are they supposed to be current? The site doesn't do much to convince me that my old theory that JMS doesn't want the average person to buy B5 books is wrong.

4. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rewatched some season 4 eps on HBO Max a couple days ago (No Surrender, No Retreat to Deconstruction of Falling Stars). I love this series so much. It is my all-time favorite scifi show.

5. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

The Excalibur was a very cool ship but some of the interior details made no sense like the monorail inside the ship.

Farscape One and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  6. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Victory-Class Destroyers like the "ISA Exclaibur" has a length of 2,990.31 meters
    2.990 31 km = 1.858 miles.

We have lazy people on Earth who would easily take an elevator to cross a few decks instead of taking stairs.
    I can see officers needing a Monorail to get to the other end of the ship quickly.

The same applies with TurboLifts in Star Trek.

You try crossing several km to get to your destination, vs taking the TurboLift.

nightwind1 and Farscape One like this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You got a problem with monorails? :wtf:

DonIago and dupersuper like this.
  8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

The monorail on the Excalibur makes perfect sense because of how long the ship is. In an emergency scenario, you need to get to places quickly. Never mind going to and from on a regular basis.

nightwind1 likes this.
  9. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

"Ship is too long - if I walk, the movie will be over"

DonIago, Kai "the spy" and dupersuper like this.
  10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The Excalibur's main gun was freakishly huge and required a long time to recharge - more a strategic weapon than a tactical one. Hence the need for all the Starfuries and PDCs to defend it. It was basically a wannabe Death Star but not a planet killer.

It would be interesting to know where Crusade was going over five years. I don't think JMS ever revealed details of the overall plan for the series arc - just bits and pieces about how the first season would conclude and the second would start. I think we'd have seen versions of some events in the Technomage, Centauri, and Telepath book trilogies brought to the screen. Like B5, the outline plan would probably remain intact but the details would differ. It would have finished its run 17 years ago had it lasted five seasons.

11. KamenRiderBlade

The main gun was awesome, but it was a small moon killer, not a large planet killer =D

I hope JMS keeps the long term plans for Crusade close to his chest so he can reuse it when he inevitably reboots Crusade.

Honestly, a reboot of B5 Crusade would be more interesting than rebooting B5.

12. Gingerbread Demon

I guess so on second thought. But is the crew area only the middle part of the ship? The ships main guns were built to function on drama time and that's why it took so long to charge, to build up the drama /s

13. KamenRiderBlade

It literally takes ~7 seconds to charge up and fire and requires ~1 minute cool down / rebuild of energy for the main systems to go back online.

JMS intentionally built the new ship like that due to not wanting a too over powered ship and wanting it to have some weak points.

Also, according to in universe lore, the Minbari was barely understanding Vorlon tech when they made it, so this is basically a prototype weapon. Obviously there will be flaws and draw backs with any prototype weapons.

14. Gingerbread Demon

That ship is like an A10 a flying gun

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Indeed. There was a lot of potential there. :techman:

If B5 can be considered DS9-like, Crusade would have been more TNG-like and could allow for standalone stories that were loosely tied to the main arc. Of course, any reboot would likely have to be renamed because of the events of the early 21st century in the real world.

People have compared the main gun on the Excalibur to the Wave Motion gun on the Yamato from Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers). It's not as powerful as that either. It was fine at taking down the Drakh planet killer but it's pretty useless otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:06 PM
  16. Gingerbread Demon

Really the way that first season of Crusade ended seemed like they were heading into a juicy story.

Farscape One likes this.