Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. JRoss

JRoss Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

@BlueStuff, awesome that you're going through this. There are two more stinkers this season, but nothing truly BAD. And once you hit season two, there's really nothing bad until the first half of season five.

BlueStuff likes this.
  2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

If you're talking about the episode I think you are, those people *deserved* arrogance. Their planet made anti-vaxxers look good.

3. Jedman67

Jedman67 Commodore Commodore

There are a few duds throughout S2-4, (Gray 7 Is Missing) but they're not bad, more like filler.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

FTFY, :p

Jedman67 likes this.
  5. DonIago

People with a dying child don't "deserve" arrogance regardless of how inexplicable more "enlightened" people may find their belief system to be, and I find it quite likely that Franklin's arrogance only made a bad situation worse.

6. Farscape One

Farscape One Commodore Commodore

What does acronym mean?

(For the record, I very rarey use them, and a lot of online ones, I don't know their meaning.)

7. DonIago

Fixed That For You

Jedman67 likes this.
  8. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For when you’ve finished the series.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Vice Admiral Admiral

Those people only had a dying child because of their stupidity. Then when he saved him they murdered him. Franklin frankly should have lied about how he saved him. He should have done the surgery then said how amazing it was the other option worked. It’s no different than if a child on Earth has a curable condition and his parents refuse him surgery because their guru told them not to trust doctors. Or if a child gets life threatening measles because their his parents refused him vaccinations. Their parents are stupid and their deadly stupidity does not deserve respect.

Children’s lives are not subject to cultural moral relativism.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Actually, I thought you might be referring to
    The Markab plague episode.

11. DonIago

Could have even been...
    the one with the Hyach.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

About the only thing of any note introduced in this episode was IPX

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

I kind of like the episode as it's got Illya Kuryakin in it and the monster is kind of B-movie fun.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The point of the episode, IIRC, was to introduce the concept of biological technology, which is important later. Personally, I thought it was the most "Trek-like" one-off episode of the season.

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Also, the whole business about racial purity and the ridiculousness of trying to define who is and isn't pure is an important theme going forward.

16. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Admiral Admiral

It kind of gave me a Space:1999 season 2 vibe.

DrCorby and Forbin like this.
  17. DonIago

I don't know if that was the point, but if so, I question whether it was really necessary to spend an episode on the concept. Especially a rather poor episode.

Oh well.

18. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1x05 - "The Parliament of Dreams"

A fun, multi-faceted entry which amply builds the setting and mythology in an entertaining manner. From the Centauri's hedonistic, positive (at least, positive in that it focuses on the survival of their race rather than lamenting the deaths) ceremony to the Minbari's spiritual seance of rebirth, this one provided extended looks at the diverse nature of this world of which I still have so much to explore.

However: where was the Vorlon representation? Am I to believe that they have no religion, or are they generally excused from these types of cultural, social exchanges for some reason?

G'Kar's assassination plot worked reasonably well to showcase him as a character, the best part of which, in my mind, was the byplay between him and his capable new aide, a friendship that I hope will continue to blossom. I enjoyed her quick thinking and smooth talking in the face of danger while he largely ran around panicking. Perhaps he'll show more trust in her in future.

Sinclair's subplot with his old flame; slightly better than I thought it would be when the episode first introduced the idea, largely helped by the fine chemistry between the two actors. Though, the show doesn't seem to do very well at writing romance.

The last scene, though I appreciate the message of non-judgement behind it, was slightly problematic in my mind. Humans have such a vast number of religions and faiths, yet the other alien races can all easily be defined by one? A lack of variety within species was always something that bothered me in Trek; the way that all Klingons/Ferengi etc were largely the same... hopefully this isn't a trend.

Still, certainly an enjoyable episode, even if I felt the three subplots could've fit together a bit more seamlessly.

Rating: ***

- "The danger is closer than you think"... the courier couldn't have been announcing that HE was the assassin in any clearer terms, yet G'Kar's suspicions were somehow not aroused. How did he survive those prior assassinations if he composed himself like this?
    - Wasn't that a Soul Hunter attending Delenn's ceremony? I thought they scared the bejesus out of the Minbari?
    - The blackmarket gangster bug dude is still around, I see.
    - Veer (sp?) was much improved from his bumbling manchild former characterisation.
    - Bring on the Vorlons!

[​IMG]
    I too have become one with my inner self many a time.

19. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe Vir Cotto is deliberately played as a nebbish/klutz/schlub.
    It seems to come in handy to divert suspicion.

As Vorlons are effectively immortal, they probably don't feel a need to have a religion. They do appear to revere the older races or First Ones.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    BlueStuff likes this.
  20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The series does delve a bit into Narn religion later in it's run.

As for the Vorlon's when it comes to religion "You are not yet ready"

BlueStuff and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.